What is wrong with my cat??

jennifer73

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I joined this forum because I am really worried about my cat.

We have every kind of animal imaginable here.. dogs, bears, snakes, other cats, etc. We have just started getting coyotes.. really close to the house. We can hear them howl in the mornings. My cat is an outside cat, and since we have spotted and heard the coyotes, we have been trying to let him inside at night.

Okay well.. yesterday it was raining all day, so he had to stay in. He was dying to go back out that night, so my brother figured he would be alright. My mom went to let him in the morning, she called and called for him. (Usually he will come running to the door as fast as he can, and come inside) But today it took him awhile to get to the door and he was just acting really strange. Instead of running in as usual, he stood at the doorway really freaked out. My mom went to pick him up, and noticed his pupils were really dialated. So she let him in the basement, and when I saw him I immediately knew something was up. Usually when I come down, he is all over me. He is a very friendly cat.. almost to the point of annoying because he always wants to lay on you. Today he sat in his chair and stared into space.. it was like he didn't even notice I was there. I let him be for a couple hours.. he still didn't move an inch. My little brother went to pick him up and he let out a nasty meow, and started hissing. So we let him be again for awhile, then went to check on him and he was gone. It took us awhile to find him.. he had crawled up into the closet and was laying on top of a cardboard box.. just staring at the wall. We called him a couple times, and usually he is very alert.. but it was like he didn't hear us. He wanted nothing to do with us. I tried to see if he was hungry.. I laid out some dry food on the box he was laying on.. then some turkey breast but he just stiffed it and looked away. He will let us pet him, just not pick him up, and I did manage to get a little purr out of him. It's like he is in some sort of shock or something..

I am just so worried about him. This has happened before after cat fights, but never this bad. So here are my questions.. sorry if some of them are dumb, I don't know much about cats.. I am a horse person

Any ideas what could have happened?

What can I do to help him?

Should I just leave him alone, or stay with him and make him more comfortable?

Do I take him to the vet? (my parents keep insisting that he doesn't need to go, but I think he does)

We are going on vacation tomorrow, only for the weekend. Do you think he will be okay? He is used to staying in the basement when we go on vacation.. he will have planty of access to food and water. (I am thinking about asking my parents to let him stay at the vet for the weekend just so they can keep an eye on him.. but I am worried that this will make him more stressed out, because he hates car rides, and he hates going to the vet.. it really worries him)

I just don't know what to do. He really is the best cat.. I am just afraid to loose him.
If you can answer any of my questions that is great, but if nothing else, could you please just keep him in your thoughts for me.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds to me like he needs to see the vet - now. If that means leaving him there over the weekend while you all are away, then that's what should be done. Cats are good at hiding pain and he isn't hiding it that well by the sounds of it so it must be bad. Also cats purr when they are in distress as well as ecstacy so the purring doesn't mean he's happy.

My guess is he's been hurt by something or someone and it hurts when you try to pick him up or touch him.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please, do NOT leave him alone over the weekend. Get him to the vet ASAP! He's clearly acting out of character. Has he eaten, drank or gone potty since you found him? The fact that he's hiding and acting non-responsive has me VERY concerned. Cats that don't typically hide will when they are very sick, hurt or dying. I don't want to scare you as your clearly upset but he needs to see a vet. Is there any way you can get him to a vet today?

As for helping him now I'd talk to him and try to confort him but don't try to move him. If he's hurt moving could make it worse. I'd also try to keep him in in the future. I know he'll probably hate it at first but between coyotes and domestic cats... the cats are the prey... not the predator.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll definitely keep him in my thoughts, but my opinion is that cat needs a vet, and as quick as you can get it there. It sounds like, to me, that perhaps he is suffering a great deal of pain from whatever happened and is in shock due to the pain. I might be wrong, though. I'm not sure about the shock.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will be along shortly. I would definitely NOT leave him alone over the weekend. Actually, I'm thinking that a vet might keep him that long regardless of whether or not you were going away for the weekend.

In any case, I wish the best for you and the kitty, and I'm sending good healthy get better thoughts your way.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree completely. I would not leave him alone, he really needs a vet. I hope he will be OK.

EDIT I'm not sure of the signs of shock either but Pumpkin was in shock after a dog attacked her, and she was unresponsive, sort of like what you described.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennifer73

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks guys. I will try to get him to a vet as soon as possible.. I am not old enough to drive yet, but as soon as my mom gets home and she sees his condition I hope she will listen and take him to the vet. I will keep you all updated.

As far as I have seen, he has not moved at all since I have taken him inside. Only once from the chair into the closet. I checked on him a little while ago, and he is sleeping now.

I am even more worried.. do you guys think he could be dying?

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jennifer, there's no real telling if that's the case or not, but I feel that's definitely a possibility. I hate to be the one to say that, but I think the quicker you can get him to a vet, the better. In the meantime, I'd make a phone call to your vet and ask her/him what can be done until you can get them there and describe the symptoms. He/she will tell you what they think, and perhaps give you some advice on what you might try to give him.. water, etc. I think the opinion from the vet will be to get him there as soon as possible, though.

I really hope for you and your kitty's sake that it's not too serious, but I think the honest truth is that there is a very good chance it is. Please keep us updated, and know that we're thinking and hoping with you. I'm pulling for your kitty.

jennifer73

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alright, I just called my mom.. she is going to get off work as soon as she can so that we can take him. I will let you all know what the vet says..

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, that's the best thing you can do for him right now physically... just remember to be positive, and think good strong healthy thoughts for him. They can pick up on your emotions, so do your best to be positive, and stay strong for him.

If you have a carrier, that's what I'd put him in to take him to the vets, and it might be easiest if you can transfer whatever he's sitting on into the carrier so he's not actually moved. Dunno if this is possible or not, but if it's not, the carrier if you have one is probably the best thing you can do to make sure he's jarred as little as possible during the moving around.

Sending TONS of get better vibes and lots of
for you and him.

jennifer73

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much you guys..

He seems to be a little better.. he seems to want my attention a little now. Still does not want to move, but likes me petting him.

Still waiting for mom to get here. He is lying on a pretty big cardboard box, so I don't think that is an option.. but we do have a carrier. How do I move him, so I don't risk doing more damage?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are in the more desert area, then I would suspect possible snake or spider bite. Also there is the Gila Monster lizard.

Does he have any bite marks on him you can see? Any kind of swelling?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
can you slide a piece of cardboard or wood under him, gently, so you can lift him without really moving his body? a small enough piece to fit inside the carrier? that's all i can think of...
prayers headed your way from Texas!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think all you can do is move him as gently as you can. My thoughts and prayers are with you and the kitty.

jennifer73

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

If you are in the more desert area, then I would suspect possible snake or spider bite. Also there is the Gila Monster lizard.

Does he have any bite marks on him you can see? Any kind of swelling?
Nope, I live in Virginia. ..near the mountains.

It very well could be a snake bite, though. We have cooperheads here.. very poisonous snake in the area. My cat likes to kill them as a sport, and leave it on the doorstep for us..
Hopefully that is not it.. I think he would have been a goner by now, though.

No swelling that I can see.. but the pain seems to be on his underside.. which he won't let me pick him up..

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

Okay, that's the best thing you can do for him right now physically... just remember to be positive, and think good strong healthy thoughts for him. They can pick up on your emotions, so do your best to be positive, and stay strong for him.

If you have a carrier, that's what I'd put him in to take him to the vets, and it might be easiest if you can transfer whatever he's sitting on into the carrier so he's not actually moved. Dunno if this is possible or not, but if it's not, the carrier if you have one is probably the best thing you can do to make sure he's jarred as little as possible during the moving around.

Sending TONS of get better vibes and lots of
for you and him.
A carrier is defiantly a good idea! If he's in a great deal of pain he may lash out and unintentionally bite or scratch you. For moving him I'd try what Laureen suggested and try to find something smaller but slightly rigid to slide under him. You may also want to put a towel or blanket over him to keep him slightly restrained so he doesn't try to struggle. It will also protect you some too. I'm so sorry your having to go through this. I was in a similar situation when I was younger (13) and it was very hard. I'm heading home for the night... but stay strong for your kitty and know that you have the prayers and vibes of TS supporting you!

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd just say to get the carrier, put on the floor next to the kitty, or have your mom hold it. You'll want to kind of "scoop" him up if possible, where you'd be supporting his front and back at the same time so that none of his body is "hanging" and causing pressure. If you have another cardboard box that can be flattened or cut, or even a small piece of plywood, anything that's small enough to put in the carrier bottom... and if you don't have a carrier, I'd say you probably want to do your best to find something stable that you can then hold on your lap, like a box.

Anyway if you find something small enough to fit in the carrier bottom, then I'd put it on the box next to him, in the direction that you're going to want him on it, then try to slide it under him. There's going to be a bit of shifting in this... you'll probably have to lift up one side, one paw and try to gently "scooch" him onto it... and you might want to consider putting a small blanket or towel over the makeshift litter so that you can put it around him when you have him on it.

Keep in mind though, that it may be better just simply to try to scoop him up with your hands giving him as much body support as you can, and get it done faster than to take 45 minutes trying to transfer him onto something. Time may be of the essence here. Obviously he can move some, although, it's best to try not to do it..I think it's more of a pain issue than an injury issue at this point.

jennifer73

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE:

We took him to the vet. He was not a happy camper.. they took his temperature, and it was 105
and that was what was causing the shock-like symptoms. They suspected some kind of cat fight, and they said that he has an abscess somewhere, but there was no swelling or blood so we didn't know where it was. He gave him an injection, and said he would be feeling better soon.. then he gave us some antibiotics to give in the morning, and said he would be fine to stay alone overnight.. (my mom should be back on Sunday morning)

I am really glad that he's okay! I don't know what I would do if I lost him..

jennifer73

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by fosterkitty

I'm glad you got him to the vet and hopefully he will be ok, I would try to keep him inside from now on though.
Yeah, definitely. He will be inside this weekend, and once he is better we are going to bring him in every night.