Storing wood furniture

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have to store our dining room set in a self-storage area that is climate controlled. The site says "treat the wood". What would we have to do to protect the set? How do we cover the chairs?

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have NO idea. Maybe call one of the local furniture stores and ask them???

If its climate controlled, seems like it would be like it was in your house, and be fine.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would think you would treat it with linseed oil to be sure that the wood stays moisturized so it won't dry out, but would also become more resistant to mildew at the same time.

But that's a wild guess.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If its climate controlled you are set. Murphys Oil is great for this and cover it with some kind of canvas material, this is more resilient to mold and moisture build up but also helps keep natural moisture in the wood. I use to work with antique furniture a lot. Also it is a good idea to raise it off the floor, wood blocks or.......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

If its climate controlled you are set. Murphys Oil is great for this and cover it with some kind of canvas material, this is more resilient to mold and moisture build up but also helps keep natural moisture in the wood. I use to work with antique furniture a lot. Also it is a good idea to raise it off the floor, wood blocks or.......
Do you think laying a blanket on the floor would be enough?

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you put material on the floor it should be some grade of canvas or heavy linen to keep moisture in and out. Synthetics and cottons/blends can trap moisture in the fabric which causes mold/mildew and staining/bleaching. Hope it helps!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure if you can do the same, but we had a couple of really nice oak doors. DH and I wrapped them up in several layers of clinging plastic.

DH says to use furniture polish on it before storing and then in storage cover it with plastic or cloth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the ideas
We are going to rent the place tomorrow but we won't move the furniture until next Saturday.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd try to avoid wrapping it in anything nonporous -- you want air to circulate in there, so no moisture gets trapped. And bricks or cinderblocks would be good for placing under the feet!