Found 5 baby bunnies today!

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw them at the side of the road when I was walking to my doctor appt. I was torn between heading back home with them or going to my appt. I wound up going to my appointment in case the momma bunny was around.

They were still there 2 hrs later and one had wiggled it's way out into the road which was very very hot
And bugs were starting to congregate. I believe they are new born, they have no fur and their eyes are far from starting to open. So I grabbed them up and tucked them in my shirt and headed home.
Their little bodies were so hot I wiped them down with a warm cloth to get the dirt off of them. They seem to be a bit more active now.

I don't know if their momma moved them there and something happened to her or some sick individual dumped them there.

Anyway I found a few numbers to call but can't get them anywhere until my nephew is done work in about 2 hours.

Anyone have any advice?? I looked on the net and found out baby bunnies don't eat much and their mom usually feed them at night, so I think they will be ok for a little while as long as they are keep out of the heat.

yorda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First- thank you for taking them out of the road.
For wild rabbits (especially ones this young) to have any chance of survival they should be taken to a wildlife rehabilitator. The shelters where I used to work or volunteer would all accept wildlife and were able to get ahold of a rehabilitator to come get them if they didn't have a wildlife department themselves, so you could always contact them and ask them what you should do in the meantime.

HRS has a wonderful page on their site of what they should do if they find baby bunnies that is very helpful if someone finds rabbits in the future and is unsure if they need help or not: http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/orphan.html

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Poor little guys are sleeping now. I hope I can find a place to take them to. They are so small even with experienced rehabbers they will only have a small chance of surviving.

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info Yoda! We posted at the same time.

Originally Posted by Yorda

First- thank you for taking them out of the road.
For wild rabbits (especially ones this young) to have any chance of survival they should be taken to a wildlife rehabilitator. The shelters where I used to work or volunteer would all accept wildlife and were able to get ahold of a rehabilitator to come get them if they didn't have a wildlife department themselves, so you could always contact them and ask them what you should do in the meantime.

HRS has a wonderful page on their site of what they should do if they find baby bunnies that is very helpful if someone finds rabbits in the future and is unsure if they need help or not: http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/orphan.html

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just got back from taking the babies to a wildlife rehab center. It was a bit of a drive about 4 hrs total there and back but we did spend about a half an hour looking at the critters they had there, mainly birds. It is a really nice place, I am so happy they were willing to take them.

Here is a pic of the babies before they left, see how tiny the poor guys are?!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwwwwww look at those tiny babies!!!I'm glad you found them, and could place them someplace where they would be safe.

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I thought wild bunnies were born with fur? Not that it matters I hope the babies make it. Bbay bunnies are very hard to raise.