Tanning

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is half rant and half question. Sorry if it's in the wrong spot.

So, I've been tanning the past 2 months because I'm getting married next weekend and I don't want o look like a ghost in my dress. I'm a little annoyed because I got heckled walking into the salon this afternoon. Some
in a truck yelled "Stay out of the sun!" What a stupid thing to say. I get the message... the sun can damage your skin. I know this... but to yell at a random stranger who's circumstance you don't know is exceptionally rude IMO. I don't normally try to tan and I defiantly don't usually use the beds. Typically I have sun screen on my face every day and on my body on days I know I'll be outside more than 30 minutes. I also take proper precautions when using beds like lotions and eye wear. Besides, how can you stay out of the sun if you leave your house?! Morons! Then there's the fact that unlike other hazardous activities (like drinking and driving or smoking in public) my actions aren't harming anyone but me! Even my dad (who's the biggest anti-sun person I know) is ok with me tanning for the wedding. I certainly didn't expect to be heckled today.

So, how do you feel about tanning? Do you do it or do you take precautions to avoid sun damage (cuz that's what tanning really is)?

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How did that guy know you weren't going in there to work or something WTH
It's none of his business and I have no problem with you tanning for your wedding, I did the same thing and before vacations too. I am olive skinned and I used to be a sun worshipper in my early years but not any more. I have a friend who is 30 years old and has 4th stage melanoma because she was constantly at the tanning hut, and that just scares me so much!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know!

Besides, if you were going INSIDE to a tanning booth then technically you were staying out of the sun. He should of told you to stay out of the UV lights.

Some people just believe its their personal mission in life to make everyone follow their way of thinking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm the same... olive complexion (so I tan well) and I did tan alot when I was younger. Now I'm older and wiser and I value my skin too much. Of course, everyone that works there looks like they sleep in the beds!
Besides, if you were going INSIDE to a tanning booth then technically you were staying out of the sun. He should of told you to stay out of the UV lights.
If I'd been faster I would have said "I am!"

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sucks, that guy had no business telling you that!

Well, I'm about to start work as a lifeguard so obviously I have no problem being out in the sun, but I plan on drenching myself with sunscreen on a regular basis. I always wanted to try a tanning bed or spray but never had the guts to go by myself. I do like the self tanner lotions, I've used the L'Oreal one and had good results, tho it's hard to get it completely even, ya know?

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I believe it in for special occasions, ie. proms, weddings....
But not for those people who go every day just because they want to get a tan thats pointless... Especially when tanning can hurt your skin, and cause skin cancer..

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pinkdaisy226

That sucks, that guy had no business telling you that!

Well, I'm about to start work as a lifeguard so obviously I have no problem being out in the sun, but I plan on drenching myself with sunscreen on a regular basis. I always wanted to try a tanning bed or spray but never had the guts to go by myself. I do like the self tanner lotions, I've used the L'Oreal one and had good results, tho it's hard to get it completely even, ya know?
Ya, I bet sun block will become your best friend... just don't do the stripes under your eyes!
It looks silly.

It's really not that bad going alone and all the booths are singles anyway so you couldn't be in the same room. I've never tried the lotions cuz I'm afraid of being orange or streaks.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate people who can't keep their opinion to themselves. What a jerk!
Good luck tanning for the wedding. I hope your tan comes out nice. I tanned for 2 days in Jamaica for the same reason. I looked darker the next day. LoL

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

Good luck tanning for the wedding. I hope your tan comes out nice. I tanned for 2 days in Jamaica for the same reason. I looked darker the next day. LoL
Thanks! I've been doing it very slowly and I've got a nice color. I'm going once more next week then I'm out of time and sessions. I think I look nice... not so dark that you can tell I've been using the booths.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Ditto! Whats with people that they have so much time to worry about what YOU are doing?!?!?!?! I would have told him to mind his own business!

I like to either mystic tan or airbrush tan because thats what I choose to do and its nobodys business!

You will be a beautiful tanned bride and its only about your choice how you got there!

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some people are ridiculous...I think the fact that your tanning for your wedding is perfectly fine IMO. I don't go tanning in a bed anymore, only the beach, pool w/sunscreen etc. Anyway, the last time I tanned was for my senior prom bcuz I had a white dress and when I tried it on at a fitting I looked like a ghost! After tanning it really made the dress look even more stunning cuz the white didn't just blend in with my pasty self!

So, enjoy the tanning, you're going to look beautiful on your big day!!!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its stupid to yell at a complete stranger about something they know nothing about for sure

As far as tanning..I won't do it ever again..Simply because my grandma died of skin cancer and I am very fair skinned. Last year I tanned for about 7 months, and my skin got all weird and cancer looking, so its just not for me.

I have been using the Jergens body glow, and for me its a godsend..even though I am not brown...I feel alot more confident because at least I have SOME colour and not at my skins expense.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry. But tanning is tanning and it's all bad for your skin: natural sun or tanning bed, it doesn't matter.

If you don't end up with skin cancer, you will end up with skin that looks like thickened shoe leather as you get older.

The reason the skin darkens is because it's trying to protect itself, and once the skin darkens, the damage is already done.

Sorry, but as a nurse I have to agree with the person who told you to "stay out of the sun". However, whether you take that good advice or not is obviously your own business. But it's you that will have to live with whatever consequences, not them.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Its stupid to yell at a complete stranger about something they know nothing about for sure

As far as tanning..I won't do it ever again..Simply because my grandma died of skin cancer and I am very fair skinned. Last year I tanned for about 7 months, and my skin got all weird and cancer looking, so its just not for me.

I have been using the Jergens body glow, and for me its a godsend..even though I am not brown...I feel alot more confident because at least I have SOME colour and not at my skins expense.
Is that like regular lotion w/ tanner in it or is it specifically a tanning lotion? I may try that next year.

Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Sorry. But tanning is tanning and it's all bad for your skin: natural sun or tanning bed, it doesn't matter.

If you don't end up with skin cancer, you will end up with skin that looks like thickened shoe leather as you get older.

The reason the skin darkens is because it's trying to protect itself, and once the skin darkens, the damage is already done.

Sorry, but as a nurse I have to agree with the person who told you to "stay out of the sun". However, whether you take that good advice or not is obviously your own business. But it's you that will have to live with whatever consequences, not them.
I agree completely! UV rays are UV rays no matter where they come from and they are all damaging. I also quit smoking in part because of it's effect on a persons appearance. Like I said, I don't tan regularly... this is for a special occasion and I don't plan on ever doing it again after this. My only argument is that I'm only damaging myself and I didn't ask for or want his opinion. I was simply minding my own business walking through a parking lot.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I agree but a stranger doesn't have to yell at people going in the tanning salon.

Reminds me of the protestors at Planned Parenthood. Not everyone going in is there for an abortion!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I agree but a stranger doesn't have to yell at people going in the tanning salon.

Reminds me of the protestors at Planned Parenthood. Not everyone going in is there for an abortion!
Thats it exactly!

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not to be rude, but did you OVER tan? it seems kind of odd for some jerk to yell out to you if you dont look um... burnt? lol. But some people are just weird....

as for me, im super super white, and I love it, I like it cause it lowers my risk of skin cancer, im against tanning lol. I wouldnt tan for my wedding, I wouldnt mind looking white in my dress, atleast id know my skin is healthy. Theres no such thing as a healthy tan.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roimata

as for me, im super super white, and I love it, I like it cause it lowers my risk of skin cancer, im against tanning lol.
Same here. I could move into a tanning salon and permanently reside inside the tanning bed, and I'd still be a radiant shade of pasty white. Like, almost glow-in-the-dark white.
Unless I turned a vibrant shade of fire engine red, which is also ever-so-sexy and really brings out the green in my eyes.
The sun is not my friend, and never has been.

I still stand by my earlier claim: "Pale is the new tan." (But I can understand wanting to look your best for your wedding day! Just that if I tried going the whole tanning salon route, it'd just be a waste of money for me.)

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roimata

Not to be rude, but did you OVER tan? it seems kind of odd for some jerk to yell out to you if you dont look um... burnt? lol. But some people are just weird....
Nope... Besides I was going IN... not coming out! I know "healthy tanning" is an oxymoron but there is such a thing as safe tanning IMO. I'm somewhere between toast & mocha and actually I think I'm done. I'm not gonna bother w/ my last session next week.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow. I'm lighter than blonde or cream.

You know when you buy make-up, they have colours like "ivory" and "pale"? I'm paler than that.

I am so very, very white.