It's so funny that I think this way now...

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When DH and I drive into work, there is this wonderful looking home that we spot every morning. It has a lovely chess set in the window. Now, every time I pass it I think, "There is NO way that family has cats. That wouldn't last 30 seconds in my apartment."

It's so weird that after two years of having a fur baby in my life I constantly think about them and what would be best for them. Anyone else?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's weird, that's what cats do to you
I have had mine for less than a year, and I have turned into a cat bore. I can see people's eyes glazing over when I start to regale them with tales of things my cats have been up to. I don't intend to reproduce ever, my pets are my substitute kids and I refuse to apologise for that to anyone, even if they do start yawning when I start talking!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

I don't think it's weird, that's what cats do to you
I have had mine for less than a year, and I have turned into a cat bore. I can see people's eyes glazing over when I start to regale them with tales of things my cats have been up to. I don't intend to reproduce ever, my pets are my substitute kids and I refuse to apologise for that to anyone, even if they do start yawning when I start talking!
When my Step-Mom had a scrap book party I brough three shoe boxes of pictures of the boys. She's a dog-Mom so she understands, but the other ladies just didn't quite get it.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree - they (and now the kids) are why we don't have any indoor plants!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by adymarie

I agree - they (and now the kids) are why we don't have any indoor plants!
I don't keep anything out that can be broken into tiny shards. Glass, china, and other things are put away and wrapped in news paper.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

When DH and I drive into work, there is this wonderful looking home that we spot every morning. It has a lovely chess set in the window. Now, every time I pass it I think, "There is NO way that family has cats. That wouldn't last 30 seconds in my apartment."

It's so weird that after two years of having a fur baby in my life I constantly think about them and what would be best for them. Anyone else?
Any time I go shopping for anything I have to ask myself a few basic questions: 1) Will Spike break it? 2) Will Spike eat it? 3) When Spike breaks it, will I be sad or angry? 4) When Spike eats it, will it make him sick or hurt him in some fashion? If the answer to these questions is a resounding "yes," I don't buy it unless I can be absolutely certain that I can find some place in my apartment that Spike can't reach (and aside from a couple of closets, no such place really exists). For example, my absolute favourite flower in the whole wide world is the calla lily -- which is highly toxic to cats, so consequently, I don't have my favourite flower in the house. *sigh* As the saying goes, when you cat-proof your home, you have to imagine that you have a toddler ... who can fly.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mirinae

Any time I go shopping for anything I have to ask myself a few basic questions: 1) Will Spike break it? 2) Will Spike eat it? 3) When Spike breaks it, will I be sad or angry? 4) When Spike eats it, will it make him sick or hurt him in some fashion? If the answer to these questions is a resounding "yes," I don't buy it unless I can be absolutely certain that I can find some place in my apartment that Spike can't reach (and aside from a couple of closets, no such place really exists). For example, my absolute favourite flower in the whole wide world is the calla lily -- which is highly toxic to cats, so consequently, I don't have my favourite flower in the house. *sigh* As the saying goes, when you cat-proof your home, you have to imagine that you have a toddler ... who can fly.
I love the fact it's a matter of WHEN Spike will eat it.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Huh, I guess I'm a bad meowmy.
the only time I think of them is when I'm in the pet store.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

I love the fact it's a matter of WHEN Spike will eat it.
It really, really is. He's such a little jerk.
(It's a good thing he's cute!)

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep I'm a fellow crazy cat lady

When I was looking for a house to buy I had actually picked a different one than I am in now. We didn't get it because it was stuck in probate... but I picked it because the windows were enormous and went all the way to the floor... I just knew all the babies would LOVE lounging around the living room soaking up all that sun.

When I lost out on that house (6 months of waiting for it to get out of probate was more than enough!) I picked this house because it has catwalks - well they're really plant shelves, but I knew the babies would be using them as their own personal jungle gym... I was right

So yeah... I'm a little crazy.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MuttigreeMom

Yep I'm a fellow crazy cat lady

When I was looking for a house to buy I had actually picked a different one than I am in now. We didn't get it because it was stuck in probate... but I picked it because the windows were enormous and went all the way to the floor... I just knew all the babies would LOVE lounging around the living room soaking up all that sun.

When I lost out on that house (6 months of waiting for it to get out of probate was more than enough!) I picked this house because it has catwalks - well they're really plant shelves, but I knew the babies would be using them as their own personal jungle gym... I was right

So yeah... I'm a little crazy.
See I would do the same thing! We want a "cat" room when DH and I go to buy a house!

summerkid710

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend is dogsitting his sister's dog and we went over to take the pup out for a walk. His sister had left treats in a paper bag and kibble in a plastic bag on the kitchen counter. My first thought was my cats would have eaten right through both bags within 10 mins of me leaving. I can't leave anything like that out.

shopcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got a good chuckle at the beginning of this thread. How true!
I can see it now, with Mini in the house. It wouldn't take her long to get up there with her nose working furiously, the little paw reaching out. A couple peices would be knocked to the floor, then she would find a way to lay down right on the middle of it all!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Always! My kitties are my kids and I always put their needs first.

Chynna probably wouldn't bother the chess pieces other than trapsing all over them and laying on the board. But Abby would have a field day with all of those new toys!!!! LOL

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Considering Lucy's favorite game is watch small items fall to the ground, I doubt the chess table would last very long. The big thing I always notice is upholstery. Specifically, how easy does it snag?

Since hubby has been unemployed, I get all sorts of updates on the critters while I'm at work. I'm going to miss the various updates during the day.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

Since hubby has been unemployed, I get all sorts of updates on the critters while I'm at work. I'm going to miss the various updates during the day.
Maybe 8-Bit can teach them to call you at work? He tends to do that sometimes

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we have one in our living room- and of course- the pieces stay in the little drawers because the cats think they make great toys when they're out
apparently cats are good at chess

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our next-door neighbors operate their own business from home making silk flower arrangements, trees, all sorts of vegetation for corporate clients. Their business slows down in the summer, so they have a big garage sale every year to get rid of extra things... and today was the day.

My mom and I went over there and fell in love with one fabulous arrangement after another, but we kept having to examine the flowers to see how edible, chewable, or otherwise destroyable they were.
These folks are so awfully nice -- they kept trying to give us things and telling us, "Oh, just put it up high."
Obviously, they don't have cats.

I did buy a gorgeous four-foot tall tree fern for $5, though, because I just plain loved it and... well, ferns are sorta ragged on the edges anyway, right?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After 2 hours of a chess set being left out, I would be pulling the fridge out to get most of the pieces, checking under the bed for a few more, check the water dish, yep..at least 2 pieces will fit in there...now it's like an easter egg hunt...where could they be hidden? Found a Knight in the toilet. Three pawns buried under my pillow. Oh, the Queen is hidden in the box spring the the spare bed room! At this point, I would be sure the rest are hidden to be "gifts" to me first thing in the morning...stepping on the king as you stumble to the bathroom at 6:00am is NOT good. This is why I don't play chess!

No, those people do NOT have cats!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

After 2 hours of a chess set being left out, I would be pulling the fridge out to get most of the pieces, checking under the bed for a few more, check the water dish, yep..at least 2 pieces will fit in there...now it's like an easter egg hunt...where could they be hidden? Found a Knight in the toilet. Three pawns buried under my pillow. Oh, the Queen is hidden in the box spring the the spare bed room! At this point, I would be sure the rest are hidden to be "gifts" to me first thing in the morning...stepping on the king as you stumble to the bathroom at 6:00am is NOT good. This is why I don't play chess!

No, those people do NOT have cats!
That's exactly what I thought. I'd end up with a nice chess board with maybe three of four pieces that would make it through the mayhem. I'm sure that 8-Bit would drop some on my head in the middle of the night.