Colorado passed a law last year...

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
that prohibits smoking inside public places (with some exceptions...). Tonight was the first time that I've spend a long amount of time in a bar since this law was passed, because Enuff Z'nuff was playing there. I decided that they either need to make the bars do a MAJOR cleaning or go back to smoking.
Seriously, smoke smells better than that bar does - it smelled like a combination of vomit, stale beer, and old sweat.
It was NASTY!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
EWWW!!!!!! I used to hate going to bars because of the smoke, but find the much more tolerable now - hopefully that was just a one off gross bar...

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is kind of weird going to bars here now because of the smoking ban, so many people either don't go out anymore so they are empty, and an empty bar just doesn't seem as fun or you inhale more smoke trying to get into the bar because they are all standing around the doorway getting a smoke in between beers.

We had some that smelt like that, but you didn't realise until after the smoking ban because of the smell of the smoke, reminded me of the stale smell of my dad's bar in the morning before it was cleaned

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I believe there should be a smoking ban everywhere. It's not fair to us nonsmokers that we need to breathe in all their second hand smoke, its giving US lung cancer and were not even the ones with the discusting habit!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a town in Kentucky that had a big meeting over smoking bans in bars. What is memorable is that the mayor opened the meeting then turned it over to his deputy because the mayor owned a popular bar/restaurant and was fighting the ban!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think I've been to a bar yet since the smoking ban around here took effect. I'll make sure to put perfume right under my nose if I go

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Man - I don't even remember the last time I was out, let alone at a bar....

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our town was actually going to set a standard...but the law is still in the works.

Basically they were going to ban smoking sections from being close to any windows (really the public eye) and make the bars and restaurants install insane ventilation system. the other part was no one was allowed to smoke outside with 15 feet of an entrance or a window.

I think it went back into the works because either someone on the committee smokes and doesn't agree or someone wants to ban smoking in buildings all together.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
at the shelter where I volunteer, we had a fundraiser at a bar and when we got up to leave like 2 in the morning it smelled so nasty!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Our town was actually going to set a standard...but the law is still in the works.

Basically they were going to ban smoking sections from being close to any windows (really the public eye) and make the bars and restaurants install insane ventilation system. the other part was no one was allowed to smoke outside with 15 feet of an entrance or a window.

I think it went back into the works because either someone on the committee smokes and doesn't agree or someone wants to ban smoking in buildings all together.
That is what we did and then after the bars spent furtunes on the ventilation systems and enclosing smoking areas etc, they changed it to no smoking at all.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

That is what we did and then after the bars spent furtunes on the ventilation systems and enclosing smoking areas etc, they changed it to no smoking at all.
THAT's probably why it went back into the works
I hope they do pass no smoking.

It'll stink for DF, but at least I will no longer have to sit in a smoking section!!

xulili

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Though I am a non smoker I'm not quite sure I am for a no smokeing ban somehow it just does not feel right to impress my wants on someone elses life style in a really noticable and unfair way. It's allmost as bad as just makeing smokeing entirely illegal. Though at the same time I do wish places had better ventilation for thier establishments, there is more than smoke in the air and it's kinda gross to think about lol

As for the horrid bar smell I used to live above one for 4 years and I think after a night they all smell the same.. no matter how hard you try to clean em. The more people they have visiting the worse they smell and faster. Though there is no excuse for failure to do morning clean up!

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

that prohibits smoking inside public places (with some exceptions...). Tonight was the first time that I've spend a long amount of time in a bar since this law was passed, because Enuff Z'nuff was playing there. I decided that they either need to make the bars do a MAJOR cleaning or go back to smoking.
Seriously, smoke smells better than that bar does - it smelled like a combination of vomit, stale beer, and old sweat.
It was NASTY!
Mmmm, doesn't that sound delicious? Isn't it amazing what kinds of smells cigarette smoke actually "masks"?

I'm allergic to cigarette smoke, but I'd rather smell it than body odour and vomit, and it's also preferable to some perfumes/colognes I've had to endure. (At least cigarette smoke just makes me stuffed up -- some perfumes give me migraine headaches!)