I need some help - anti-depressants etc

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
For those of you who saw my thread about Charlie and the vets, the two injections he got were for inflammation/infection to help his bald patches. Dad says he went on valium to calm him down, but it didn't seem so. He had his first anti-depressant yesterday, then one a few hours ago. I don't know if maybe having those two injections made him dopey. But it's been 24 hours since he was at the vet. I was giving him tummy rubs and he was fine and happy, hes been sleeping alot more. Then he decided to get up, his paw was folded under his leg for a sec, like he didn't know what do to, he meowed and whined a couple of times (which he only does if he is alone or in pain) and then turned around and sat down again. he did this last night. He sat next to the litter tray, put a paw on the litter and sat there for a minute, not knowing what to do. He didn't even dig, plopped his but on the tray for a minute and didn't do anything. It took him two more tried (and no digging) before he peed a little then walked off. I have this nail buffer made out of foam and he LOVED chewing it till yesterday, paid no attention at all, today either. His ears have been pricked up alot like he's paranoid. And instead of being all loving when i scratch his head (even if he purrs) he ignores my attention. Also when he gets up to stretch, he will turns around a few times to get comfy (i know cats do this, but he has rarely done it). He doesn't know what to choose when he jumps on the desk or bed, he will go to one side and get ready to jump, then change his mind and go back, and take a couple of minutes to decide. Again i know this is cat behaviour, but i've had him for 8 years so i know when something is different.

The anti-depressants are called Clomicalm. He also started the anti-biotic tablets this morning. Can anyone tell me if you've had experience with the change in your cat? I know it is meant to make him not anxious, but this is just plain weird.

Please someone tell me i'm not going crazy, and that he's just been so doped up that it might take more than 24 hours for him to become more himself.

Emma

I'm worried about him as he seems so different.

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know nothing about that, but I am sending hugs and prayers for you and for Charlie

I hope he gets to feeling better soon, please keep us posted on how he is doing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I emailed mum about it, of course if i talk to dad he will ignore me, he thinks everything is perfectly normal (he doesnt know my own cat like i do) and called the vet. They said if in the next few days he is still funny and not adjusting, they can get the vet to have a talk with me.

In the mean time, i dont think ill be posting much, spending the weekend stressing out!

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

For those of you who saw my thread about Charlie and the vets, the two injections he got were for inflammation/infection to help his bald patches. Dad says he went on valium to calm him down, but it didn't seem so. He had his first anti-depressant yesterday, then one a few hours ago. I don't know if maybe having those two injections made him dopey. But it's been 24 hours since he was at the vet. I was giving him tummy rubs and he was fine and happy, hes been sleeping alot more. Then he decided to get up, his paw was folded under his leg for a sec, like he didn't know what do to, he meowed and whined a couple of times (which he only does if he is alone or in pain) and then turned around and sat down again. he did this last night. He sat next to the litter tray, put a paw on the litter and sat there for a minute, not knowing what to do. He didn't even dig, plopped his but on the tray for a minute and didn't do anything. It took him two more tried (and no digging) before he peed a little then walked off. I have this nail buffer made out of foam and he LOVED chewing it till yesterday, paid no attention at all, today either. His ears have been pricked up alot like he's paranoid. And instead of being all loving when i scratch his head (even if he purrs) he ignores my attention. Also when he gets up to stretch, he will turns around a few times to get comfy (i know cats do this, but he has rarely done it). He doesn't know what to choose when he jumps on the desk or bed, he will go to one side and get ready to jump, then change his mind and go back, and take a couple of minutes to decide. Again i know this is cat behaviour, but i've had him for 8 years so i know when something is different.

The anti-depressants are called Clomicalm. He also started the anti-biotic tablets this morning. Can anyone tell me if you've had experience with the change in your cat? I know it is meant to make him not anxious, but this is just plain weird.

Please someone tell me i'm not going crazy, and that he's just been so doped up that it might take more than 24 hours for him to become more himself.

Emma

I'm worried about him as he seems so different.
You were given the choice of giving him the Clomicalm,right? I've never had a cat take them, but I'm sure that's what would be causing him to act "dopey". They are probably calming him down too much. Now this is just my opinion; if he were my cat, I would stop giving it to him or at least, cut the dosage down to half a tab,especially if the vet had given me the option of trying it. But please..give your vet a call before you adjust the dosage....there could be a less potent drug he could prescibe instead. It's awful knowing that something just isn't right with our babies!!

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

You were given the choice of giving him the Clomicalm,right? I've never had a cat take them, but I'm sure that's what would be causing him to act "dopey". They are probably calming him down too much. Now this is just my opinion; if he were my cat, I would stop giving it to him or at least, cut the dosage down to half a tab,especially if the vet had given me the option of trying it. But please..give your vet a call before you adjust the dosage....there could be a less potent drug he could prescibe instead. It's awful knowing that something just isn't right with our babies!!
Dad was given the choice, he took Charlie. I couldn't carry a 4+ kilo cat and walk that half hour with my sore leg. He didnt even bother calling me or mum to ask. He was dopey when he came home and we didnt give him his first Clomicalm till about 8 hours later. He is on half a tab btw. He had two injections for the bald patches and im thinking maybe that had made him all dopey. Can you imagine getting all this stuff and only being a cat, not a big human?

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can imagine!! You wouldn't think antibiotics and an anti inflammatory shot would have made him act like that! Could they have given him something at the vets to calm him down...I mean,you did mention Valium....or was that for your Dad?? Sorry...I'm kinda slow sometimes. LOL

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
raven stopped playing and pretty much only slept and ate when he was on amitriptylene. it stabilized his interstitial cystitis, but it was like i had a different cat for the 3-4 months he was on it.

i would definitely contact the vet about dosage of the antidepressant and let him/her know how the cat is acting.

unluckyblue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Squeaky was on Clomicalm for a bit, and I didn't like it at all so I stopped it. One of the side effects for it is "retention of urine/difficulty passing urine", which could explain her litterbox woes. Squeaky had trouble with that too, but it might have been a coincidence. In my opinion you should try a different drug. On the Novartis website it says "Product Type: Oral tablets as an aid in the treatment of separation-related disorders in dogs." then farther down the page it says "In some countries, CLOMICALM is also authorized for the control of stereotypies in dogs or of urine spraying in cats." I personally don't like the sounds of it!

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, I think it is probably an effect of the Clomicalm, or an interaction between it and another one of the medicines he is taking.

I've had good experiences with Prozac. It seems to be much milder that the alternatives, but still very effective IMO. It does take some time to have an effect (avg. 4 weeks+), but I haven't ever observed any lethargy as a result of it.

camille eonich

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Possible Side Effects
May see lack of appetite, vomiting,
diarrhea, lethargy, sleepiness, dry mouth,
difficulty urinating, or increased heart
rate. Contact your veterinarian if these
side effects are severe or persistent.
If your pet experiences an allergic
reaction to the medication, signs may
include facial swelling, hives, scratching,
sudden onset of diarrhea, vomiting, shock,
seizures, pale gums, cold limbs, or coma.
If you observe any of these signs, contact
your veterinarian immediately.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Rx_Inf...omipramine.pdf

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes ive gone and researched the effects and everything. He is on half a tablet a day so not a huge dosage. Apart from what the vet said about Jazzy being his protector, Tristan did some research on animal psychology. it also seems that he hasn't been dealing with her death, and now that he is all mellowed out he has been sad and dealing with it properly.

Unlucky blue, the peeing around the house was actually one of the reasons he went onto it, that and having psychogenic alopecia (ocd licking) because of the fleas, so even when he had bald spots that the flea weren't on, he kept licking the bald spots, luckily he got onto meds before he made himself bleed, his skin was still pink and healthy. I suppose if youve had bad experience then you can say you dont like it. But i think its doing its job. He actually seems more like the relaxed 8 year old most cats should be, though i miss the crazyness