Tearing Up The Carpet!!!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If we shut Enzo out of a room we are in he tears up the carpet!!! We are getting ready to move out of our apartment, which Enzo ripped up some of the carpet under our bedroom door. Now we are moving to a house and desperately need to know how to keep him from tearing up the carpet! Our land landy is going to be
!!!!

I want to know that our new floors will be safe if we ever have to shut him in or out of a room!!!!

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
does he have lots of other toys, and sctratching posts to play with?? he sounds bored, poor guy!!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cardboard scratchers that lay on the ground are WONDERFUL. Also a nice big cat condo/tree to climb on. Plus you can put Soft Claws on him too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have more toys than he can even imagine playing with. The problem is not that he is bored, but can't stand being away from us. At any given point that I am home he is about an arms length away. If I lock him out of a room I'm in or have to put him in a room, for any reason, he tears up the carpet!! He whines and whines, tears and tears!

He has scratching posts, carboard scratchers, toys, feathers, catnip, it's not a matter of lack of toys. He even has Leya to play with, but if he can't see mommy he has a fit!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyone else have ideas for me??
Do those anti-scratch sprays work??

preciousmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat has scratched up corners (mostly unnoticeable) in my past 2 apartments as well. Her deal is not that she's bored or doesn't have a scratching post, it's because she wants my attention and HATES having doors closed heh. I bought "Four Paws Cat and Kitten Repellent". I still have about 1/3 of the can left and I bought it a year ago. It worked to some extent but I had to keep spraying it almost every other day. She doesn't scratch the carpets anymore now.....I don't know if it was just a phase or what.

freig

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Why do you shut your cat out of the room?

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tibby decided to do this at the flat we lived in years ago (quite easily fixed with matching caret, some glue and putting the patch with the right grain!
)

I discovered from this that my cats do not like being on the other side of a shut door (or any shut door, in fact!
)

I then decided to keep the cats in my room with me during the night.
They all sleep through most of the night and leave me to sleep too. For the past rental property, we placed carpet runners under the doors in the areas likely to get scratched. They could go to their hearts content and the carpet underneath was safe. It may not be the prettiest option, but it works and saves deposits.

By the way, they very, very, rarely do it now - only if i'm making interesting noises in another room with the door shut!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

If we shut Enzo out of a room we are in he tears up the carpet!!! We are getting ready to move out of our apartment, which Enzo ripped up some of the carpet under our bedroom door. Now we are moving to a house and desperately need to know how to keep him from tearing up the carpet! Our land landy is going to be
!!!!

I want to know that our new floors will be safe if we ever have to shut him in or out of a room!!!!
We are having a house built for us and we said NO to carpets anywhere in the house. Now, what can those cats of mine think up next?

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sar

Tibby decided to do this at the flat we lived in years ago (quite easily fixed with matching caret, some glue and putting the patch with the right grain!
)

I discovered from this that my cats do not like being on the other side of a shut door (or any shut door, in fact!
)

I then decided to keep the cats in my room with me during the night.
They all sleep through most of the night and leave me to sleep too. For the past rental property, we placed carpet runners under the doors in the areas likely to get scratched. They could go to their hearts content and the carpet underneath was safe. It may not be the prettiest option, but it works and saves deposits.

By the way, they very, very, rarely do it now - only if i'm making interesting noises in another room with the door shut!

Carpet runners!!! Now why didn't I think of that. Exactly why I post on TCS. Thanks everyone for their posts. I always wondered if that spray would actually work.