No respect, I could cry... Work Rant!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so upset right now! Ok so I have been working for this company for almost two years now and I only have received one raise in those two years (my raise was given to me after my three month probationary period... a dollar). Well we have this situation at work, a girl is going on disability due to pregnancy issues. The plan was that I would train for her position and take over at least until she comes back (its one step higher a position that I am in right now, It's a csr position... Im the receptionist and only have one CSR account of my own, I was going to take over her accounts too)! I told my supervisor that if i take her position I am going to need more money because then I will not only be handeling my account, all the incoming calls, all my data entry spreadsheets... but I would be handeling about 5-6 more of our accounts. My supervisor totally agreed that I should get paid more (especially after I told her what I make now... she felt so bad), so she went to go talk to my boss about promoting me and giving me a raise! Not to mention whenever I am doing make-up time (making up hours for being out of the office for either a doc appointment or sick) he flips out... Everyone is allowed to do that, yet he has a problem with me doing it!

Well...

He said absolutely not and that I should appreciate that I got a 2k bonus 2 years ago for Christmas when in his opinion I shouldn't have (every year we get a christmas bonus, two years ago the owner decided you would get that bonus even if you started the day before... i had been there three months, my boss thinks I didn't deserve it because I wasnt there that long... Not his decision, the owner makes that call).... So my supervisor tried explaining that I live very far away from work and that I am paying over $300 a month in gas just to come here... He more or less told her... "I don't care"

He has something against me and always has... he has favoritism for some and no appreciation for me at all! Well I am not training for more work if Im not getting a raise and my supervisor told him that I wouldn't and shouldn't have too

Screwed again (no raise in 2 years), we are suppose to get raises next month and I dont think he is going to give me one... I could cry right now. I'd look for a new job but then I wont have insurance for at least three months (I have so many health issues that I need it) and I would have to pay full price for my perscription. I already live paycheck to paycheck down to the last penny

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you talk to the owner? Its not fair that they expect you to take on your job and someone elses and not make any more money!
I hope things work out for you soon!

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you should look for a new job.

Yes, you would be out heath insurance for a few months (90 days usually I think), but if you take a job making more money, then you might be able to cover your medications for that time.... and then once your insurance kicks in, you'd have more money to go around. Or perhaps you can explain the situation to your doctor and have him write you a prescription for enough pills to cover you for that time so you don't have to pay anything out when you're without insurance.

I live by something my aunt once said to me: "You're going to get
at any job. It's up to you to decide if you want to get
for $8/hr or $80,000 a year."

I figure it never hurts to see what else is out there... you just might be able to find your perfect position and then wonder why you didn't leave sooner.

Hope it works out for you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No because the owner will discuss it with my boss... Plus he is so busy with travel, he doesn't make those type of decisions! I told my supervisor to tell my boss I won't take on her job without the proper pay... He doesn't care... Which is unprofessional because we will only have one girl handeling all of those accounts now, which will also affect all of our abilities to take vacations and so on, being short staffed in our csr department!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel very anxious about not having health insurance with all of my problems... If something were to happen I would be screwed, that is my major hold back! I am applying at places online right now...

boog's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree that maybe with a new job, the increase in pay could offset the increase in temporary medical bills. Also, if you are able to find a new job closer to where you live, the $300 in gas could go down, which could also go towards the extra medical costs.

Maybe it could work?

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know I have to so something but my job opportunities are limited... It basically comes down to receptionist, CSR, office clerk positions! I was a hairstylist but because of all my medical issues I can't do it anymore... It is to much work physically (unfortunately)

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any other advice other than what the others have said.
Just wanted to let you know that my heart goes out to you and I'll keep you in my Prayers.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you... My life is never easy that is for sure.... I've always struggled with things and I think I always will. I wish something would go right for me for once! Arrrr I hate money!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh how horrible!! You definatley sound like you deserve a raise. Maybe your boss can talk to the owner on your behalf. Bypass the stinky supervisor!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No my supervisor is the one trying to get me the raise... My boss is the one who refuses to even think about it... The owner doesn't deal with these things... He is above all of that, and would just bring it to my bosses attention and the answer would still be no!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
HUMM.. Have others gotten raises in that time ?? If so I suggest mentioning a complaint to the labor board would be easy to write

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our department was punsihed as a whole for certain members attendance so only the supervisor got a raise. We were suppose to have reviews this past january and we are yet to have them. We were suppose to discuss raises this month but the boss hasn't gotten to it (that was suppose to be discussed in our scheduled reviews for january which never happend) and now it has been pushed off to next month... He just keeps pushing it off, I doubt he is going to give me a raise since he was such a jerk about it today.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by trixie23

Our department was punsihed as a whole for certain members attendance so only the supervisor got a raise. We were suppose to have reviews this past january and we are yet to have them. We were suppose to discuss raises this month but the boss hasn't gotten to it (that was suppose to be discussed in our scheduled reviews for january which never happend) and now it has been pushed off to next month... He just keeps pushing it off, I doubt he is going to give me a raise since he was such a jerk about it today.
*coughcoughquitcoughcough*

I'm not saying it won't be hard... but as worried as you are about your medical situation, I can't see how working with this unnecessary stress is helping your health any

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah that is true... Im not going to lie I missed my fair share of days but two girls missed over double what I missed (each missing over 50 days a piece)... Mine were medical proceduresm doc appointments, and some sick days... The thing that is good about this place is that they are flexible, so if I have a doc appointment I can schedule it whenever necessary and make up my hours at a later time.. No place is flexible enough for me with how much I see the doctors... I feel trapped!

karmasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for the situation you are in right now.

What about state health assistance to hold you over untill you get benefits from a new job. It may not be the best but it may help with medication and other things. Try calling you local social services office and see if they can help you.

I am sending you {{{{vibes}}}} that something works out for you.

I do agree with everyone, you should look for something new. The current boss sounds like a

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They call the state assistance GAMP and I cannot get it because I do not have a child, I am older than 19, and I am not a Milwaukee county resident. I tried getting it when my medical situation occured, when I was unemployed. There are no such options for me unfortunately.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay... what do you have in writing about when you're supposed to get reviews, counselings, raises, time off, etc?

I think you may have a valid case for unfair labor practices here... if you got any sort of handbook or new employee orientation handbook, these things should be listed in there. Or, is there some sort of policy in writing on a work intranet or anything like that?

I'll see what I can find out about Wisconnsin labor laws for you.

It will definitely not hurt you to talk to someone from wage and labor, or even if you call the NLRB and find out who you should talk to. They'll at least be able to tell you what rights you have, and even if you have no intention of "suing" a more officious person being contacted often gets the companies butt in gear. You are protected under FMLA, or because of having a disability, although I'm not sure if your health problems fall into that category and I'm not sure if you have to fill out paperwork for FMLA... however.. under FMLA, I believe they cannot fire or discipline you for missing work provided that you have a legitimate medical excuse. I'm not sure on this point if you have to have filled out the paperwork or not, through your company, but even if you haven't, then you still have tons of documentation for this and might be eligible to backdate it.

I would not quit. I would get my paperwork in order, talk to someone who knows the labor laws in the area, and potentially have them call your boss. It can't get any worse where you're at and they're not treating you fairly. The owner needs to get involved, your boss needs to act appropriately, and your supervisor seems to be doing what she's supposed to, but is being overridden.

Any emails or anything that you have that are related to the case, print them out or save them to a disk... send them to your home email address... iow, make a record of everything related.

In the meantime, look for something better. I know you can't afford medicine, but the suggestion of getting several months filled at once is a good one. I'm certain your doctor will enable this, or at least should in order to get your meds covered by the health insurance. He might also have samples available.

You are also eligible for keeping your same health insurance under COBRA, even though you'd be responsible for paying for it once the company stops. I believe you can get up to six months (but I might be wrong about that).

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

You are also eligible for keeping your same health insurance under COBRA, even though you'd be responsible for paying for it once the company stops. I believe you can get up to six months (but I might be wrong about that).
Good point.. I was thinking that was only if you were fired, but I checked and it says "voluntarily or involuntarily termination"

Here's the link for more cobra information http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/health-plans/cobra.htm

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is also a temporary medical insurance available in addition to COBRA. It's usually only $20 a month and unfortunately is limited to covering everything, however it does help pay when it comes time to visit the doctor or order your Rx.

Heather's advice is true, but once you start to take action you most likely will be without a job. That's the reality of Labor protection. There are laws to protect you, but usually businesses will fire you once you take action. Its twisted, I know...