Food Hungry

crtny036

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 3yo old male cat is constantly wanting to eat. Orginally, I would put a bowl full of food out for him and his sister to graze on, but he would finish the bowl himself and was gaining weight. So, I consulted my vet and I now feed them 2x/day, morning and night the recommended amount of food. Every morning the male has a habit of waking me up at 5am to be fed. No matter how many times I push him away and try to ignore it, he doesn't give up until I get out of bed and feed him. I've tried to lock him out of the bedroom, but he's ruining the carpet with his claws. Why is he so obsessed with food? Am I not feeding him enough?

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cat Enzo had this same problem, he would always bug me for food. He sure didn't need anymore food either! I ended up buying an automatic feeder because I couldn't stand him waking me up or bothering me all day to get some more food. Now with the automatic feeder he knows that he has to coax the feeder to give him some extra food, not me!!!!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crtny036

My 3yo old male cat is constantly wanting to eat. Orginally, I would put a bowl full of food out for him and his sister to graze on, but he would finish the bowl himself and was gaining weight. So, I consulted my vet and I now feed them 2x/day, morning and night the recommended amount of food. Every morning the male has a habit of waking me up at 5am to be fed. No matter how many times I push him away and try to ignore it, he doesn't give up until I get out of bed and feed him. I've tried to lock him out of the bedroom, but he's ruining the carpet with his claws. Why is he so obsessed with food? Am I not feeding him enough?
Of course every cat is different but my two cats do just fine eating all they want every day. Their dining room has food and filtered water at all times and they always eat together. When one goes to eat, the other tags along! I weigh them with a baby scale twice a week to make sure they are not gaining weight and they are not.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Of course every cat is different but my two cats do just fine eating all they want every day. Their dining room has food and filtered water at all times and they always eat together. When one goes to eat, the other tags along! I weigh them with a baby scale twice a week to make sure they are not gaining weight and they are not.
oh man, if i did that my 1-year-old, Enzo, would weigh 20 lbs. At one point when I was just letting him eat whenever, he was 6 months old, he got up to 14 lbs!!!!!! He's back down to 12.5 lbs now that he is a year old. I never thought such a young cat could weigh so much!!!