breeding my cat

anna2008

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello i was wondering how many litter you should let you cat have she just had her first

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
None is my answer. It is healthier to have a female spayed.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. It's a myth that a female cat should have any litter before being spayed. If she's not a show breed and your only intend on having her as a pet then get her spayed ASAP.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She doesn't need to have any litters unless she's a pedigree show cat. Some people think that ANY pedigree cat should be bred at least once - but IMO only the BEST of the breeds should be in a breeding program.

If she's a mixed breed, then NO litters are necessary.

Why do you feel you want to breed your female?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anna2008

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hiya i thought it would be nice to have kittens as i love cats and had been told that female cats are nice when they had a littler

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Having a litter or more does nothing but risk your cats life, honestly. I volunteer at the local Huamen Society & encourage you to do so as well. Then you can see just how many mixed breed cats are in need of homes.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by anna2008

hiya i thought it would be nice to have kittens as i love cats and had been told that female cats are nice when they had a littler
What are your plans for the litter she has now? I'd be worried about finding good loving homes for kittens.

The idea that a litter improved their temperament is also a myth. Did you read the link Bonnie gave you? It really is very informative.

anna2008

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes i got loving home for all 4 of them. i was planning to breed her as the farther is one of my other cats thinking about getting a run mad for them

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

yes i got loving home for all 4 of them. i was planning to breed her as the farther is one of my other cats thinking about getting a run mad for them
Instead of mating the cats you have why not consider fixing then and rescuing some of the many unwanted cats/kittens from a local shelter?

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How many of the 6 are intact? Also, do you want more cats? I guess I don't understand why your wanting more kittens unless you want to keep them.

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
you should have all of your animals spayed and neutered and quit adding to the problem. The reason we need humane societies and shelters is because there are too many pets and not enough homes. If you keep letting your cats multiply, you are only adding to the problem. You need to be responsible.

anna2008

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ok wht ever u are not from there uk or round the area i live in there is no priblems round my was and cats are very hard to come buy

like i said in other thread if this is the was u treat new member then u will not get many. ive never been on a forum where i have been made to feel so unwanted

i wont bother coming back again will try find forum where people r welcome

*hannah*

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi there i used to live where you live and when i first got my first cat it was a nightmare to find any kittens there so i do agree with wot you say but any animal shelters around here have a no kill policy so no cats will be put to sleep and they will also help to spay if you need any help there is also someone who lives across the road who has 7 cats and most of them have 2 or 3 litters a year even though she have vochers at a vet to help her to spay them and some how she finds homes for them.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
anna,
I don't think anyone is trying to upset you or chase you off... it's just the some people here are very fanatic about cats and knowing that in most places there are already plenty of unwanted cats we prefer to see people adopt instead of breeding moggies. Also, you;r original question was about how many litters your cat "should" have and like many have said the safest and healthiest number of litters for a pet cat is zero.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i live in the uk , and i am a foster for a small rescue center , and they do get over run to the point they have to sometimes say no to taking more in.
we dont have as much of a problem as a lot of places , but it is still a problem.
look at it this way, your cat had 4 kittens , say 2 are girls , they go to new homes have a litter of 4 each . again to are girls in each litter so now there are 6 girls, the first 2 have another litter each of 4 kittens , so 4 more girls , then the kittens from the first litters have litters of 4 each so now we have 18 females all who are breeding again and again, altogether thats 36 cats in a year just starting from 1 female and the local tom. and thats without the first mum haveing any more. ect..
this is why we are aginst none spaying of animals.
no one was trying to upset you and were sorry if that is how you feel, we just feel so strongly about this subject that sometimes the wording doesnt go right.
we do hope to see more posts from yourself , and lots of updates on your mum and her kittens. and also lots of pictures.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

ok wht ever u are not from there uk or round the area i live in there is no priblems round my was and cats are very hard to come buy

like i said in other thread if this is the was u treat new member then u will not get many. ive never been on a forum where i have been made to feel so unwanted

i wont bother coming back again will try find forum where people r welcome
1) no one said anything at all even close to being mean or rude to you. You asked questions and we answered the best way we know how. There is no reason to breed mixed kitties, I even have mixed opinions on purebred cat because a lot of people don't do it responsibly and they don't test their cats and show them and everything.

2) if you think there is no cat problem in your town, you are sadly mistaken. It is a problem EVERYWHERE. Cats are running loose all over the place. Shelters may be short on kittens the couple times you went there, maybe it wasn't kitten season, that doesn't mean there is no overpopulation problem of cats in general. Just call your local shelters. They will tell you. And then tell them the reason is because you want to let your cats breed. See what they say. You will see we are not making this stuff up.

It just saddens me when so many people including myself work so hard to get cats altered because the population is so incredibly bad. To get unwanted cats off the streets and keep them from being killed in the pound. Then we hear of people intentionally letting there cats breed for no good reason. It is so sad
So sad that more cats have to suffer. More homes are being taken up by mixed breed cats intentionally bred and less homes available for the already millions and millions of homeless ones.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well said ladies!

Anna,
no one is trying to ber rude or chase you off... we are all here for the same reason... to do what's best for our feline freinds!

L

larks

Many people who have got rescue cats feel very strongly about this and as an owner of many rescued cats in the past I have to say I see their point. However recently we tried to get a Kitten as we've had so many rescued fully growned cats that we wanted a kitten as you dont have those questions that you get with rescue ones. By questions I mean about their past. One of our current past rescue ones has half a tail and we have no idea how, this makes it hard for us to understand his behaviour sometimes and many rescue cats have underlying illnesses. So you get to the point you want just one fresh start.
When we tried to find a kitten however we had many problems just finding one and had to drive a fair bit out in order to finally get one. I love her jsut as much as the other cats.

My point is I understand many people having frustration at people who dont get their cats sorted however personally I think if their willing to accept responsibility for finding good homes and if need be keeping them if they cant and getting their cat sorted as soon as the litters cant be found homes it shouldnt be a problem. Also I find it a bit mean only pure breeds can breed, some of the mix breeds shouldnt be considered outcasts and unwanted.

Also I know some people criticise people who look for kittens rather than rescue homes but for some people its not about the cute factor but having a pet that started out its life with you with no huge gaps.

Sorry gone on a bit here, so basically yes original answer is they dont need litters to stay healthy and if you do breed be ready for the responsability. Personally I'll try to get rescue cats most of the time.