Canned kitten food!

dara678

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all! We just adopted a new 9 wk-old kitten, and I am so confused looking at all the kitten food choices! We are planning on giving him Nutro Complete Care Indoor Kitten dry food (my other two cats have done so well on Nutro), but I have no idea what to give as a kitten canned food. I can only come up with reasons NOT to serve a particular food!

Iams, Eukanuba, Science Diet -- not recommended on this board
Nutro - some kitten food was recalled
Purina, Friskies, Whiskas -- not recommended on this board
Avoderm -- not specifically kitten food, made by menu
natural balance -- had a recall of their canned food

It seems like california natural is a good choice, but I have no idea if he will eat it, and it's an "all life stages" food.

Any suggestions on canned food with no association to the recall?

On a side note, are natura products associated with the recall? I couldn't find anything on their website ...

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Natura is not associated with the recall(I believe). A few wets I can think of:
California Natural
Innova / EVO
AvoDerm
Evangers
Evolve
Natural Balance
Meow Mix(heavy on fish, so I feed it sparingly)
Wellenss
Merrick

You can feed an all lifestages to a kitten. Just FYI-I am not sure how all those wets I listed relate to the recall. My brain is kinda fried right now!
There is one Wellness that is grain free.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dara678

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
avoderm and evolve are associated with menu

merrick is a great brand but unfortunately my adult cats hate it

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
NON menuor AI at all related

Merrick
Evangers

Wellness and Innova are made by menu

I feed wellness since they gave a strait and CLEAR answer when the recalls hit ... Natura ( parent to innova ,cal natural ,karma ) Gave several and then had there President make a damage control video... stating they will build a canning plant

Nutro cans will be out for a bit as they are taking canning in house so what is on the self is the last of what Menu made

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

California Natural
Innova / EVO
AvoDerm
Evangers
Evolve
Natural Balance
Meow Mix(heavy on fish, so I feed it sparingly)
Wellenss
Merrick
Also Felidae is a good one.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed mainly Wellness, Merrick, Natural Balance, and Innova EVO. Yes, Wellness and Natura have associations with Menu foods, and NB had one canned flavor recalled - but I have more confidence in their products than the other options (as much as possible these days
).

FWIW, I feed the grain free varieties of those brands I mentioned.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well Charlie was just about 4 months old when we got him. He was fed RC Kitten food for about another month and a half. During that time I also started buying Friskies canned (adult) food.

They now get Friskies canned with the RC adult.

IMO if you have a good quality dry kitten food to feed for about 4-5 months, then no reason you can't pick a regular adult canned food to add to it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dara678

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That sounds like a good idea -- I have my two adults on Purina selects (the ONLY thing they will eat that's canned -- and I've tried everything from Merrick to Evangers to even Sheba and Meow Mix) so maybe I should keep the kitten on Nutro kitten and feed him adult purina?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by dara678

That sounds like a good idea -- I have my two adults on Purina selects (the ONLY thing they will eat that's canned -- and I've tried everything from Merrick to Evangers to even Sheba and Meow Mix) so maybe I should keep the kitten on Nutro kitten and feed him adult purina?
that would work... but make sure to talk with the vet at next visit