Dog shows :(

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is it just me? I always feel bad about dog shows...when I see them on tv and all. Its like those dogs are putting on a forced performance for us humans. And this probably isnt true but like if a dog messes up I always think that the owner beats him afterwards
I bet you think im weird now lol

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Roimata

Is it just me? I always feel bad about dog shows...when I see them on tv and all. Its like those dogs are putting on a forced performance for us humans. And this probably isnt true but like if a dog messes up I always think that the owner beats him afterwards
I bet you think im weird now lol
I love dog shows and participate frequently. Most of those dogs enjoy showing, if they didn't, they would have not have made it that far as to be on TV. Presence in the ring does matter. And many will pull dogs from the show ring that just don't enjoy showing. Most of the people involved with dog shows are crazy in love with dogs too; some devote their whole careers to the dogs.
It is common knowledge in the dog show circuit, another day, another dog show. You win sometimes, you lose sometimes, but that doesn't mean the dog is not a good dog - most everyone understand this. Every judge is also different, so one day one judge could like your dog, another day not so much.
You have to be competitive, yet know that it doesn't mean everything if the dog wins or loses, you have to make it fun and enjoyable and honestly most of the people I see showing do a great job of that. And most dogs really do enjoying being out there and working with the handler.
Many hours are put into them, a lot of love, a lot of care and special attention to diet and coat and conditioning and everything in between.
Sure, there are some bad apples, but that is with everything.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been to a few and I've never seen someone get mad and beat the dog if it didn't win!

My biggest objection is the fact that the judges go from dog to dog and open mouths to check teeth and DON'T disinfect their hands between dogs! That's a good way to pass something on to the next dog.

At least in cat shows, judges will wipe the table and their hands/shirt/top with disinfectant between cats!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

At least in cat shows, judges will wipe the table and their hands/shirt/top with disinfectant between cats!
In my breed the handlers open the mouthes most of the time, not the judges. The judges will ask to see the bite and we will do it for them.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well that does help - hope its more common for the owner/handler to show the teeth. I know I've witnessed in the big Westminster show where the judge opened the mouths!

ashlie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I dont know, it always looks to me like they are having a blast... And it seems like they always get treats afterwards....

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dog shows are like cat shows and horse racing, if the animal doesn't enjoy doing it, they usually don't do very well at it.