Baby/heart update

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm almost 23 weeks now and the little guy is going nuts with the kicking! He's a very active little boy

I've just started pulling up my shirt to watch my belly when he's kicking, and it's so freaky to see my belly being pushed out from the inside! It's very alien-esque! DH gets so weirded out when he feels junior kick

And I have had another obstetrician and cardiologist appt this week. Everything is looking absolutely fine, and there's been no changes to my heart, and the little guy is growing right on schedule.

The OB wants to see me every 2 weeks now though, and wants me to get growth ultrasounds every 4-6 weeks because the medication I'm on for my heart can cause low birth weight, and they want to monitor the baby a bit closer as well. That's ok - I love ultrasounds and watching the little guy

At the cardiologist today though, he said "you should probably start thinking about what to do after the baby is born though". I was confused and he said he completely understands us wanting to have our own child, and the difference between none and one child is huge, but wanting to have more children is even more risky, and would never tell me I absolutely shouldn't have more kids, but he thinks I should stick with one, and consider getting my tubes tied if I have a cesarean. Having my tubes tied at 26 when I love kids seems so.... final. I completely understand, and realise having any more of our own children probably isn't a good idea, but still...

And DH still is really against me having a c section, whereas I think it'd be a safer option, so we will have to decide on something at some point! I don't want to say "it's my body I'll do what I want", because it's his baby too, and I don't want him to feel like it's MY baby and he doesn't get a say in anything. So we'll see!

So that's where things are at
Overall it's actually going really well - I feel great, I'm not having any major weird pregnancy things happening - apart from getting a layer of peach fuzz-like hair on my belly... what's with that???
Oh and I'm starting to lose my innie

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad to hear all is going well so far
I would hold off on having your tubes tied right now if medically that's a good option for you. And i agree with you -if you are high risk and have other medical issues- a C-section would likely be the safer option, but i'm not a doctor so that's just my opinion

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alll great news! Our daughter was a kicker, too, we called her BiffBamPow! After she was born, she did the same kicking and I recognized it, even though I was seeing it instead of feeling it.

One kid is a great number. You can take one kid just about anywhere, and people don't mind. One kid can be novel and cute but any more than that and people say, "They brought the kids!" It's easier and much more reasonable cost-wise to travel with only one kid. And don't forget that Harvard's tuition is about $50K a semester these days!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh yeah, DH just reminded me... the other thing the cardiologist said was that if the OB allowed a "natural" delivery, he has no doubt they'd want early epidural, and it would be an assisted delivery - they'd probably suck it out with the vacuum thingy

I think that sounds horrible, and would prefer a caesarean to having the poor little fella sucked out!!!!

claire1973

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi
Hee Hee just wait till later on and they start completely turning over and you see it when you laying there in the bath!! Its the most amazing thing!

I just wanted to share my births wiv you, might help you decided

First one I tried to have naturally, hmmmm well I ended up having epidural and then forceps as he was going into distress.

Second one, C-Section, I had it planned as my first labour was hard for me. It was great, yes they do take more getting over afterwards than a natural.

The C-Section worked for me, yes I was not happy when my O/B suggested I have one with my second child but Im glad he did.

I hope you and hubby can make a decision here, I agree with another post on here, it says that having just the one is great as well. Ok, its nice to have more than one in some cases but obviously in yours its different, just something you gotta decide.

You know what though I really do admire you having to make those sorts of decisions, I really hope you can come to a decision you are both happy with.

Take care and keep us informed all the way!

Claire

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Oh yeah, DH just reminded me... the other thing the cardiologist said was that if the OB allowed a "natural" delivery, he has no doubt they'd want early epidural, and it would be an assisted delivery - they'd probably suck it out with the vacuum thingy

I think that sounds horrible, and would prefer a caesarean to having the poor little fella sucked out!!!!
If this helps I was sucked out and still have a dent in my head because of it. That was 29 years ago!

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I also would suggest you get a c-section, i'm sure that everything would go much smoother. as for getting your tubes tied-I dont suggest it. Just wait untill you are for sure that you dont want to have another child after this one. It would be terrible if you did get them tied, and you regretted it...
Good luck!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Kevin was sucked out and had a huge lump on his head for weeks. Also had an early epidural, but even though you don't have "pain" you still have to strain as you push. I hads such a bad time with delivery I had to be rushed into surgery after for blood loss and to make sure all of my deep tears were fixed. My c-section, on the other hand, with Derek was easy peasy. He had the cord around his neck (very active little boy while inside) and it was fortunate we had decided on the c-section early on. Also had my tubes tied while they were in there.

One child is a joy and 2 are a blessing. But there isn't any rule that says that the child you love must be yours biologically. There are so many children who need loving homes that if you choose to "have" more then 1 child you have options.

Whatever you decide - good luck!