My New Hatchling!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I did it again. I have another successfully hatched baby golden gecko.

This one was laid April 6th, hatched today.

Because the mother laid the egg on the side of the glass aquarium I had to tape a small plastic cup (or in this case a empty sour cream container
) over the egg to keep them from accidentally cracking it. This was also to keep the little one from getting out into the aquarium where the parents may eat it!...

When I discovered the hatched egg but no baby I panicked, it had wiggled out and was loose in with the adults. Luckily I found it on the cage lid and easily collected it into a critter keeper.

Tiny little thing at roughly 5cms from nose to tail tip.

Baby gecko belly. This is what I keep them in until they're older, a 6 quart shoe box.. fancy

Since I was cleaning up and moving around stuff I went ahead and moved this one's big brother into a spare 10gallon. My luck, I torn a finger open on some wire while shaking water out of some freshy washed fake plants.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh he's cute! I adore lizards - never had one because I don't know enough about them and have a serious phobia about certain insects which would make it kind of difficult to deal with their food - but I love watching them and seeing pictures of ones that other people have!

He's so little and sweet
Please post more pics as he grows!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I absolutely love geckos, all lizards really, but especially geckos.
Some years ago I had an unusually aggressive male Tokay.
He used to litterally bloody his nose on his tank trying to attack the cats.
He got so bad that I finally gave him to a herp friend that had females and was having no luck finding males for them.
He's a much happier guy now

I love hearing happy house geckos barking

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed the babies tiny mealworms, as it's difficult to get and keep crickets small enough(they grow very quickly).

The adults are happy with just mealworms, but do enjoy crickets. So they're really not that difficult to feed. And the adults bark/chirp, sometimes even at me.

I'm hoping this one is a little girl.

It's too bad my camera isn't better, as far as I know there aren't any or many baby golden pictures online or even in reptile magazines. Were I able to get better pictures I might be able to submit them to a few places.

Originally Posted by Arlyn

Some years ago I had an unusually aggressive male Tokay.
He used to litterally bloody his nose on his tank trying to attack the cats.
Somehow this doesn't surprise me in the slightest. I had a female tokay several years ago and she was far from pleasant.. she did learn to tolerate me. Sadly I lost her and a leo when the town I used to live in had a bad ice storm
over two weeks without power.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I feed the babies tiny mealworms, as it's difficult to get and keep crickets small enough(they grow very quickly).

The adults are happy with just mealworms, but do enjoy crickets. So they're really not that difficult to feed. And the adults bark/chirp, sometimes even at me.
The mealworms would just do me in. Not so bad with crickets, but we had an infestation a couple of summers ago due to our downstairs neighbour's lizard food escaping. This was before we had cats and the chirping at night in our kitchen cupboards drove us mad. We're not sure she didn't put them through our letterbox tbh as she seemed to be suffering some sort of paranoid episode focussed on us for a while and I kept finding baby crickets in the hall under the letterbox.
I managed to catch quite a few of them using pint glasses, if we'd had cats then I'm sure it wouldn't have been a problem!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

We're not sure she didn't put them through our letterbox tbh as she seemed to be suffering some sort of paranoid episode focussed on us for a while and I kept finding baby crickets in the hall under the letterbox.
How odd. Baby crickets can actually be quite delicate, so I don't know if they could have made it all the way upstairs on their own. Just be glad she didn't breed roaches for her pets.

Mealworms used to gross me out too, they're all squirmy. I breed them now.
After several years I got used to them, they can't bite and won't poop on you like crickets do. They also don't smell or chirp. The superworms that I feed to the turtles and leopard geckos still gross me out (DH is creeped out by them too)... I use a pair of hemostats to pick them up with.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My first thought was "Eewww!!! A snake on legs!!!"
Cute....but I'd never want one for a pet.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a cutie .... I am so glad I dont live closer:_)

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

My first thought was "Eewww!!! A snake on legs!!!"
Cute....but I'd never want one for a pet.
They're not snakey!

Kind of goofy/dopey as far as lizards go, you can tell there is not much going on in their little heads (which you can actually see through).Goldens do move really fast and that tends to startle people. I bet you'd like leopard geckos
they're like a lizard version of a cat, they sleep all the time, get rather fat, and move slowly. Oh! and they come in pretty colors!.

Originally Posted by sharky

What a cutie .... I am so glad I dont live closer:_)
I'm certain that I would be a really bad influence.

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
cute little guy! After living in hawaii for a few years though I find it hard to think of them as pets as they were everywhere. you would see them walking up your walls while watching tv. i had 2 before I moved to hawaii when I was a kid though.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww... how tiny! Is it hard to breed them?

As for Tokay's I've never met a "nice" one! I always thought their over temperament was MEAN!

I'd love to have anything cold blooded again... but I'll likely have a hard time convincing Matt of that. I'd really like to get a bearded. Or another snake but snakes are definitely out.
I miss having herps though... they are just as individual as cats and it's fun freaking people out w/ a 6' boa!