What bit me?

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feel silly going to the doctor for something as petty as a bug bite, but this thing just keeps growing.

WARNING: this may be icky for some.

Last friday I had an itch on my upper left arm, and scratched it. I had what I thought was my first mosquito bite of the season. I ignored the itch, but by saturday it was bigger than a mosquito bite. Every day since it has grown a little until I was shocked at how it looked today.

It's about 1.5 by 2 inches in an oval shape with a center about 1 cm in diameter. The center is red and turning brownish yellow. There doesn't appear to be any fluid or substance making up the center though just looks like a weird tiny bruise surrounded by red raised skin. The center is completely numb, and the surrounding area itches and has a very slight burning sensation, but probably because it is quite hot to the touch.

I have no idea what it is or how long I should put up with it. It's not interupting my life or anything, so I don't see the point in going to the doctor. I am sure it is not ringworm, mosquito bite or a bee sting. It's location right where the sleeve of my tshirts would cover my arms makes me think it's a spider or bug that crawled there and got spooked and bit me.

Anyone have any idea?

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would go to the doctor. It sounds like a spider bite to me and some of those can be serious, especially if its a brown recluse.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

I would go to the doctor. It sounds like a spider bite to me and some of those can be serious, especially if its a brown recluse.
That is what I was thinking!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
does it appear to be like a bullseye? if it does then RUN to your nearest emergency room, that is a brown recluse spider bite, which can be fatal if not treated quickly

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a spider to me - have you tried an allergy pill? Any trouble breathing get to the ER double time!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got bit by something on my face last summer and I had some of the symptoms you described. I still don't have complete feeling in that spot. I would go to the doctor to be safe!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Right after I first felt the itch I had a terrible headache and nausea to the point where I had to leave the movie theatre and be taken home to lie down, which is completely abnormal for me. I didn't put those together with the bite until today because the day I first felt the itch, I thought it was just a mosquito bite.

It's been 5 days now, and only now it has it started to look really strange. I didn't think it could be brown recluse because it was taking so long to become something weird. I thought those happen within 48 hours of the bite. I'm gonna take an antihistamine tonight after I finish my work and if it's still weird tomorrow I'll see a doctor. It just seems silly to see a doctor for something that isn't anything more than funny looking and feels weird.