Grab a tissue~

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is what I am thinking about putting in my local newspaper.....in regards to BSL, and all the poor pit bulls being pts!!

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:57 pm Post subject: Will you remember me when I'm gone? - Grab a tissue

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With permission to crosspost...

Dear Mr Legislator,
Mr Media man,
Neighbor Lady,
I know you dont know me..
I wasn't your dog, I was a menace you said and you wanted me gone.
Can I introduce myself we haven't even met? I bet if you know my name, I will be a special dog to you, like my family, just the same. I was born to 11 brothers and sisters, my momma was so proud. I was taught how to love people, so this is what I vowed. I watched my momma daily with her own skin family, and she taught me gentleness, exactly how to be. Scolding me on occasion if I wasn't doing right "You have a very important job to do, make your family your life."
I woke up that morning I thought it was just the same, then I heard the sweetest voice, it gave me my own name..
I finally saw what momma meant I was welcomed with open arms, I had someone to call my own, and must keep them now from harm..Those smiling eyes looking back at me, man they were the best, I was born mere a puppy, but my life, they will have the rest.
I watched them grow I have to say, I loved every moment through. Taught good ways, fed good food, man those were the days.. I slept in their beds, dried their tears, I watched them because they were my own, and then one day because of you I had to leave my home..
Because of irresponsible people they said, "take us all away instead.." The world would be a better place, if everyone of us was dead!! Blame the dog, not the keeper.. So with that law, from another mans crime, now no one tucks my kids in at night..I tried telling them without a voice, through their shaky hands, licking away their tears once more, you are forever imprinted in my heart, and I know this isn't your choice..It would be okay I nudged, do not cry for me, for I heard Gods voice whisper last night,
" They are always your family." He said, "We are kind of the same you and me, forgiving every time, and both paying the ultimate price for someone else's crimes." I loaned you on this earth for awhile, to guide the people through. All the trials , never judging, this is why I made you. But rest assured my canine friend, you will see your family in the End.With them you will be in Heaven one day, romping, and playing, but for now you will wait" Tell them do not cry those tears, think of all the wonderful years. I know it is so hard loyal friend.. You will see them again, my loyalist lend.."

Written by Shauna Ferren
Proud and responsible momma to 3 wonderfully loyal American Pit Bull Terriers
In loving memory of all the Dogs who have lost their lives due to ignorance!!
Punish the deed, not the breed and the ones who love them!!

Or should I use this one??

AN APOLOGY TO BREED BAN ENTHUSIASTS

I'm sorry you are frightened of my dogs and are trying to have them killed because they are pit bulls.

I'm sorry you lack the understanding of this breed's true history, gentleness with people, wonderful temperament, intelligence and behavioral
conformation. I'm sorry you won't read the ATTS stats regarding our breed's true temperament, putting it in the top four for temperament, scoring better
than breeds like Golden Retrievers, and cocker spaniels.

I'm sorry that you side with and protect animal abusers by marking the breed of dog, and not the irresponsibility of the owner. I'm sorry that by your
logic I could steal a car, run some people over with it and then you can blame the make of car for the accident, as I walk free.

I'm sorry you generalize one breed of dog with one group of people. I'm sorry you can't see the love and determination that many often highly educated, non-criminal and "normal" types of people show towards this breed and the great personal sacrifices that they make to take care of their dog
responsibly.

I'm sorry you cannot go into the shelters and see the hundreds of abandoned and abused pit bulls, dying only for the insane "crime" of being born the breed they are. I'm sorry you cannot see the look of disappointment in their eyes as someone walks by their kennel, and refuses to consider adopting them based on an ill educated fear mongering reporter. I'm sorry that you cannot be there when the animal looks at a human for the last time, and in spite of betrayed by all humans they have met, their tail still wags as someone
approaches with the syringe of Euthinol.

I'm sorry you cannot be there when law enforcement shoots one of your dogs dead inside it's own home in front of the children it mutually loves for simply
getting off the dog bed and walking over to say hello with it's tail wagging. I'm sorry you cannot be there to rescue pit bull puppies from a plastic bag in a dumpster, dumped there by someone switching their illegal,
and inhumane activities to another, more lucrative breed.

I'm sorry you cannot understand the difference between canine and human aggression, in the way that this breed can. Yes, I'm saying my pit bull is smarter then you.

I'm sorry that the medieval witch-hunting genetics of intolerance, generalization, and racism make you feel the need to vilify a breed of dog.
I'm sorry that justice, equality, tolerance, common sense are all things you hold dear as a fellow Canadian, and expect from others, but do not yourself
offer them towards a pit bull or its caregiver.
I'm sorry that you don't take the constructive time to petition changes in the Canadian animal cruelty act, and in the criminal code that would deal out serious punishment to the real animal abusers.

I'm sorry you cannot see the disappointed look on a puppy's face when the people petting it quickly frown, and walk away when you tell them it is a pit bull. I'm sorry you feel the need to terrorize my family and my dogs for crimes we never have and never will commit. I'm sorry you don't have to live in fear of your dog's safety from hysterical, and mentally unstable people
trying to inflict all manner of evil upon your dogs.

I'm sorry that you cannot see my breed working in some of the best Search and Rescue groups in the world, saving countless lives each year. I'm sorry
our media censors and refuses to print the breed name "pit bull' when in connection with a positive act such as saving a person or child from a burning house, drowning, wild attacking animals, etc. I'm sorry you cannot see the many pit bulls registered as therapy dogs and bringing so much joy to another misunderstood, neglected demographic in our society, the senior citizen.

I am sorry you can't see a pit bull kiss a child, step carefully over a kitten, or play in a sunbeam. I'm sorry you cannot wake in the morning to feel a warm pit bull cuddled next to you in bed, and know that you are their
total world, and even if the house caught fire and trapped you, they would stay with you to the end.
But, now that I really think about it, I'm not at all sorry you don't own a pit bull--you do not deserve one.

Written By: Rob MacBean

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Those brought tears to my eyes. And I agree, they are both beautiful -- send both!!

This makes me want to rescue a Pit Bull even more than I already do. .

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your trying to change opinions then I say send the first one as you'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar. If your simply trying to educate then perhaps the second one. Heres why I think that... the first one tugs on the heart strings. It's a pit-bull's sad story. The second at points is insulting to those who don't understand the breed and while it makes plenty of true and valid points people who persicute the breed will likely stop reading it when you say your dog is smarter than them or in the next paragraph where there's some name calling.

I LOVE pits... I think they are excellent pets given the right family to love and train them. But trying to look at this as someone whom these are directed at I would be much more open to the first.

chichismom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are both awesome, and each brings forth a different emotional response. The second one really got to me- this line in particular: I'm sorry that the medieval witch-hunting genetics of intolerance, generalization, and racism make you feel the need to vilify a breed of dog. it just rings so true
That one sentence sums up the whole BSL thing. People, in general, are followers. If one group of IGNORANT, yet highly respected individuals form an undeserving opinion of something- that opinion is then glorified, and spread
The thing I will never understand is, how in the world do people who have never owned, or actually met a pitbull form these awful untrue opinions against them? They are the MOST loving, loyal, silly, playfull,understanding,forgiving, gentle and amazing dogs I have EVER had the joy of owning. I have never felt such a true connection with an animal. And for some outside person, who has never even met one to say they are killers, no-good etc... is just plain stupid. NEVER EVER judge a book by its cover- Love is more than skin-deep. These are members of our family- please don't feed into the ignorance

keegen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two beautiful rescued pitbulls. Indie and Kady are loving, sweet and perfect family members! I also work at a pet store where I hear comments all the time about, "evil pitbulls" and "how can you have those monsters around your children" Boy do I dislike ignorant people!

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the others who said send both.

There have been a lot of recent dog attacks in my local area. People adopt puppies because they are cute without bothering to understand the nature of dogs, and then fail to socialize them. Then these dogs get loose and someone gets attacked, and sometimes is seriously injured. But lawmakers need to understand these attacks are NOT the dog's fault and if the dogs were handled properly these things wouldn't happen!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by keegen

I have two beautiful rescued pitbulls. Indie and Kady are loving, sweet and perfect family members! I also work at a pet store where I hear comments all the time about, "evil pitbulls" and "how can you have those monsters around your children" Boy do I dislike ignorant people!
Oh how adorable!!!
I loooove your pictures!!