Anyone like German food?

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am almost 1/2 German but have never tried any of the food before. We went out to a German restaurant last night and it was wonderful!

I had something with breaded pork cutlets, sauteed with apples and onions and melted cheese over the top, with a potato pancake. It was SO yummy! And the appetizer "wurst" plate with homemade sauerkraut. Yum!

I will definitely be going back soon

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i like some of it. my grandmother was german, and i remember eating authentic dishes when i was a kid at family gatherings. my DH has german heritage, and LOVES german food. we just recently discovered a german restaurant/bar in town and he can't wait to go back. we've been there twice already.
i love german wheat beer.
yum! brats are my favorite german food. i'm not going to find anything as good as my grandma's cooking in a restaurant so i think that's why i've not been thrilled with the restaurants we've been to.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I eat more Austrian dishes as I am half Austrian - they should be similar however.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew up on German food so I do love german food, but not all of it.
My mom is german and she cooks everything from scratch. I am just blessed to finally be able to get anywhere close to cooking like her since there are no recipes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

I grew up on German food so I do love german food, but not all of it.
My mom is german and she cooks everything from scratch. I am just blessed to finally be able to get anywhere close to cooking like her since there are no recipes.
You are so lucky! I'm German on my dad's side, but we were not close to his father, or any of the other relatives so I never had any authentic food. I may have to look up some recipes and try it myself!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
another German food fan here! I love potato pancakes, sauerkraut, weiner schnitzel, all that good stuff
the best is german potato salad!!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
None of the restaurants around here come close to what I ate there. I really miss brotchen and bretzels.
Oh and a good bratwurst. But I hate spatzle. Yuck!

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm 1/4 Swiss, so I love anything that remotely connects me to my German-Swiss heritage (the other 3/4 of me is nearly everything in Northern and Western Europe... i.e. Euro-Mutt here).

I first went to a place in San Francisco back in high school, called Schroeders... I seriously hope they still exist... man, that was GOOD food.

Here in Portland, we have a place just down Sandy from me... Gustav's, I think it's called... distinctly Bavarian. between the sign and the way their building is designed... they've been around forever, apparently, and I'm assuming they have good food, but haven't been there yet.

Amanda

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Im not that adventurous when it comes to food, but recently some friends took me to a German restaurant here in Edmonton for Breakfast, and it was AMAZING. Hello German bacon pancake thing of deliciousness....Ive also previously been known to love a good schnitzel (even make it at home from time to time!)

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont think that the german food in America tastes the same like over here. For one thing, we dont eat sour kraut every day!
its a speciality that germans eat maybe once a year!

I have no clue what you people are pancaking about, over here I havent seen anyone make pancakes

Schnitzle and salad especially potatoe salad is delicious and their german gravys are delicious too.

Metbroetchen is also good, its grinded raw meat with spices.

I'm not a fan of the sausages, but i've come to like the german food. Infact after my weekend trip to Rome, german food over here is indeed better quality.

Germans also dont eat bacon like the english.

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not German but BF is and his aunt and mom love to take us to German Restaurants... I've had jeigerschnitzel (sp?) and sour brotten (sp?). I liked the jeigerschnitzel but not the sour brotten.

The food is really good, but it is a little heavy.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I love German food, my X-husband was German and his mom was one of the best cooks I ever met. She taught me how to make those thick brown gravies from scratch and when we went to German restaurants, I loved everything. From me she learned how to make Italian food and sauce, one thing I could make better than her lol.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We only have one German restaurant here and it has only a limited number of options. I would love to try some other places though if I ever get to travel!

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've had a lot of the dishes mentioned thus far...but I'm not sure how authentic they were. I'd love to try the real thing! Any of you German folks wanna invite me over?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

I dont think that the german food in America tastes the same like over here. For one thing, we dont eat sour kraut every day!
its a speciality that germans eat maybe once a year!

I have no clue what you people are pancaking about, over here I havent seen anyone make pancakes

Schnitzle and salad especially potatoe salad is delicious and their german gravys are delicious too.

Metbroetchen is also good, its grinded raw meat with spices.

I'm not a fan of the sausages, but i've come to like the german food. Infact after my weekend trip to Rome, german food over here is indeed better quality.

Germans also dont eat bacon like the english.
I'm glad you clarified that, Fran. Germans find it hysterical that they're referred to as "Krauts", because they really don't eat much in the way of sauerkraut. IME, Americans and the French eat far more.

There are lots of different kinds of sausages here, some quite good, and others a bit disgusting, like "Blutwurst". What's to die for is the bread here. There are so many different varieties of breads and rolls (and soft pretzels, of course). People who visit Germany really rave about the bread, and those who live here really miss it when they're abroad.

German cuisine is very big on salads, egg noodles, and dumplings of many varieties, but pancakes really aren't a regular part of the diet. Schnitzel (cutlets) are, but the same is true of Austria, and former Austrian territories, like Hungary and the Czech Republic.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I'm glad you clarified that, Fran. Germans find it hysterical that they're referred to as "Krauts", because they really don't eat much in the way of sauerkraut. IME, Americans and the French eat far more.

There are lots of different kinds of sausages here, some quite good, and others a bit disgusting, like "Blutwurst". What's to die for is the bread here. There are so many different varieties of breads and rolls (and soft pretzels, of course). People who visit Germany really rave about the bread, and those who live here really miss it when they're abroad.

German cuisine is very big on salads, egg noodles, and dumplings of many varieties, but pancakes really aren't a regular part of the diet. Schnitzel (cutlets) are, but the same is true of Austria, and former Austrian territories, like Hungary and the Czech Republic.
Can I come over and visit????

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

Can I come over and visit????
You sure can! We've got a spare bedroom, and have the "castle/cathedral tour" down pat. Jamie isn't too friendly with visitors, though, as Fran (fwan) can attest.