At war with nature?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On sunday I planted flowers for an attempt of a garden this year (fiance often asks if I think about plants whenever we drive by cemateries).

Anyhoo, I've been taking the time to water them before I leave in the morning. However SOMETHING is digging them up. Each day I'm replanting a different plant.

I have the generic stuff only...petunias, begonias, salvia, and alyssum. Only the the first three have been touched.

We have a lot of squirrels and occassionally I see the neighborhood cats roaming in our yard. I'm learning more toward the squirrels though because this morning I found one of the plants in the window box dragged out of its spot. The window box sits on top of a wooden fence.

Maybe I should post a sign in squirrel in each garden. "Dig this up or face the wrath of the human"

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure it isn't raccoons. They tend to be the night time diggers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't seen any raccoons in the neighborhood, but that doesn't mean that they don't exist.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

I haven't seen any raccoons in the neighborhood, but that doesn't mean that they don't exist.
They are nocturnal - I know we have them in our area even though I have never seen them. They keep getting into the neighbour's garbage cans.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could also be chipmunk or gophers.....
I have to replant some of my sweet corn as something ate the seeds-this is the second yr now that this has happenend.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Skunks? I know they dig for grubs in our lawn and leave "lovely" holes
Just a thought.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have seen a couple of chipmunks...errr. Whitey spotted them and hopped from window to window.

I thought about getting one of those garden fences to help keep them out until I saw that whatever it was can climb. I guess I'll just keep replanting them.