Getting prepared for our move...

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...to a new apartment. Things are in various stages of chaos, and slowly everything is getting packed up into boxes. And I have LOTS of stuff. THe move happens in 6 1/2 weeks.

I'm starting to have conversations with the cats about the upcoming changes to their environment. I'm apologizing to Ginger especially about the change in the views, but have promised her that there will be interesting things to look at. (I feel so guilty about taking her away from her favorite window that looks onto the porch and the grassy back yard!)

Ginger, in particular, seems to be noticing the changes already: I have a 4-poster bed, and the headboard part had a leopard print shower curtain (an outside-the-tub cloth one) hanging across the back, parted in the middle - it looked great and matched my jungle decor.

I just took it down to wash and pack it, and now there is a giant, unadorned beige wall behind my headboard where before there was leopard print. Ginger keeps sitting on my bed staring up at that blank space with her head tilted, looking a little confused, poor girl.

So just like I had long talks with her about being nice to Penny before I brought her home (and they totally worked!) I am now starting to have long talks with all the kits about moving to a new home, assuring them that we will be bringing all of their stuff and nothing (and no-one) will get left behind, that the only changes will be to the living space, and that we will have a new home for them to explore that will smell different but will be a nice place for all of us.

THis will be the very first time ever in my life that I have made a move with cats. This is going to be interesting, if merely from a logistical standpoint. I hope that they don't get too stressed out as a result of all the changes that are and will be taking place.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in the same situation as you are Betsy! We're moving in 17 days....

The boys are loving the boxes we've been packing in, I hope your kitties adjust well to the new place... and I hope mine do too

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been talking to my kitties too about our move. The feliway seems to be helping Lucky. He doesn't get as depressed when the boxes start stacking.
Benson has no clue what I am talking about. I keep mentioning the names of Mom's cats so they get used to the sound. Molly is very happy to see her son again. It's the only name she Yelps back at.

You will be fine. Packing is horrible though. I dread that more than unpacking.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by adymarie

Good luck, just try not to seal a box with a cat in it....

Your kitties will be fine. We just made a big move 2 weeks ago and it only took Reilly & Sydney 3 or 4 days to adjust.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by adymarie

Good luck, just try not to seal a box with a cat in it....
I have to double check all my boxes because Harley & Bayley adore getting in them

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I start moving in 10 days as well. My kitty won't be coming home until after the move though, so I won't have to worry about that. Just have to make sure things are ready at the new place so I can bring him home asap!

I'm sure your three will do just fine. Once they see that all their furniture and beds and toys are there, they will settle in. Ginger will have a lot of new views to pick from too!