Vaccination 911!!!!

puma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Help!!
I took my kitten to the vet yesterday (Tuesday) for a check up since I just got her this past Thursday. When I adopted her I was assured that she was up to date on ALL her shots and would only need a check up after adoption since she was already vaccinated and spayed.
Great.
BUT! When I took her to the vet, they redid all her shots even though she had already been vaccinated. I'm mostly just scared about the Feline Leukemia and AIDS vaccines. Is it possible that it would harm her if she had too many of the same vaccine is just about a one month span????
I'm so worried!
I brought it up to the vet tech (who wasn't all there in the head) and she just said, "No, she'll be fine". But I feel like I should mention that this vet tech really didn't seem sure of ANYTHING. When I handed her the vaccination record for Puma, she kept on missing what vaccines were given and when. She even missed the fact that Puma was already spayed and already microchipped! If I can't ask the vet tech--I really wanted to ask you guys!
HELP! I'm in a vaccination 911!!!!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't think it would be too big of a deal. When we adopted our little one the vet gave her vaccines (just incase she hadn't had them). Just keep an eye on her and if you are still concerned I'd call at vet (maybe a different one than the one you last used)

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Miss Mew.

On another note, are you planning on letting kitty outside? If not, I would not have her vaccinated for Feline Leukemia and FIV ("AIDS") at all in the future. Those are unnecessary for an indoor cat IMO.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

puma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Really? I was never told that it was mostly meant for outdoor cats. I even told the vet that she would strictly be an indoor cat. I'm so let down by this vet. The location came HIGHLY reccommended...I don't know what happened

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The only reason I get mine vaccinated for those is about 20 years ago we got a new kitten and didnt know till after a year that it had leukemia even though they were inside cats. Luckly somehow my other cats didnt get it. The vet said that it prob had it since birth. So now just in case I vaccinate mine in case a new cat has it.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Puma

Really? I was never told that it was mostly meant for outdoor cats. I even told the vet that she would strictly be an indoor cat. I'm so let down by this vet. The location came HIGHLY reccommended...I don't know what happened
I'm sorry for the experience you've had with this vet. It might be worth a try to find a cat-only clinic in your area. Good vets and not-so-good vets come in all shapes, sizes, and specialties but a good start is a cat-only clinic in my experience. There is a clinic locator here

http://www.aafponline.org/findadoctor.php

On the FIV vaccine, it's my understanding that when it comes to testing for the presence of FIV - it's very difficult, if not nearly impossible to differentiate between a vaccinated cat and an infected cat. What I'm trying to say is that if a cat showed up at my door today and I took it to the vet to be tested for FIV, and it was positive - that could be because it HAS FIV or it could just be that it was vaccinated for FIV. The test results will be the same in both situations. That is not the case with the FeLV vaccine, though. There is more info about the vaccine here

http://www.aafponline.org/resources/...ts/felovax.htm

minou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just got a new kitten last week from the SPCA and took him to the Vet the following day. His papers said they had given him his 1st shot and the Vet gave him another to be sure it was actually given.

She said it was 1 week ago since his shot and wasn't dangerous. I am to take him for the 2nd/3rd shot in about 3 weeks and again, she said it was ok.

He did fine and never showed any reaction from the shot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

puma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your responses!!!!! I did a literature search and just found that I have to watch her for a few weeks to make sure she doesn't present any signs of getting sick or reaction to the shot. I'm definitely looking into changing vets...my sister takes her dog to a holistic healer. Does anyone here see one? I've known a few people who have holistic doctors...I didn't know they had them for pets as well... Yay or Nay?

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Puma

Thank you so much for your responses!!!!! I did a literature search and just found that I have to watch her for a few weeks to make sure she doesn't present any signs of getting sick or reaction to the shot. I'm definitely looking into changing vets...my sister takes her dog to a holistic healer. Does anyone here see one? I've known a few people who have holistic doctors...I didn't know they had them for pets as well... Yay or Nay?
I take all my pets to a holistic vet, since my one side of my family has seen the changes in my pets up close, they started taking theirs too and feeding a better diet.
The clinic we go to has a mixture of traditional and holistic. One of my animals has reactions to vaccs. I would be very upset if a vet did what your vet did to my new kitty.

I think switching to a vet you feel more comfortable with is very important; it makes all the difference in the world. My impression has been that holistic vets stay up to date on protocols and seek out information and research on their own and in journals, instead of just relying on the same outdated information year after year (not saying all or any vets do this)
Over vaccination is not healthy for an indoor kitty. Keep an eye on your kitten and switch vets
Here is a locator if you need help: http://www.holisticvetlist.com/