I've just been laid off

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep. It finally happened. I'm the only one from this office, but that's just because my Mother quit on Monday. The rest of my co-workers are being put in a new program that they've been working on getting. But they only have enough space for 3 people, which is what they have left after me. I was basically told that though I've been here longer than one co-worker, he's more experienced (translation: older) they are putting them in that. That's kind of ok because I'm not sure I want to work in the other program.

My last day was going to be this Friday with 2 weeks severence pay, but because of my students (who are disabled in some manner) I said I thought it would be better if I stay till the end of the month, which is when they will close my program. They said they appreicated that, so that's that.

I'm not shocked. I'm not happy. But I don't know what else just yet. I just had to tell somebody. Oh did I mention today is my first day back from vacation???

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
jeese great timing of them eh !!!

I am sorry to hear this

It must be just hitting you - well you can certainly make the most of the next few weeks with a job search and stuff - time to look forward eh !!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That really stinks. I am sorry to hear that!
Something bigger and better will come to you I am sure!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh thats awful, and on your first day back from vacation too?!

You'll find something, I'm sure of it!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I actually just applied to 2 jobs with the state last night. I'm completely qualified and all. I also have 2 resumes ready to mail off anyway. I sort of knew it was coming, just not quite this fast. I've also really been looking anyway. DH told me I could take a few months off if it happend. Not that I will. It may take that long to get a good position. I've also been toying with taking some classes. So I'll find the silver lining wherever I can. In the meantime, I will love on Mooch and Noodles.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, I'm also not supposed to be on TCS at work....but I figure they just laid me off, will they really care?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
You haven't been happy there for a while, so hopefully this will be a blessing in disguise and you will find something you like a lot more.

I don't blame you for being on TCS.
What are they going to do, fire you?

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry

I know what you're going through as I have a hunch I'm going to be laid off in about 2 hours...

And while I'm not trying to hijack your thread... I wanted to share with you a story that made me feel better.

I first found out about this on monday and had an absolute panic attack. I talked to my mom and she told me about my grandfather.... whom I never knew well (he died when I was 2). Anyway, I always knew he was the property manager for these buildings and he loved his job... absolutely loved it. And then one day the company decided he was too old and forced him into retirement. He was absolutely crushed and thought there was nothing better coming for him. On the last day of his job, he woke up that morning to get ready for work... and dropped dead of a heart attack in the bathroom. The article in the paper the next morning said "Manager of (company) dies of a broken heart" and it was so true!

Two weeks to the day after his death, an owner of another company had heard of all the work my grandfather had done and called the house to offer him a job with an enormous salary. And to think he thought his life was over... it's just a shame he didn't live to hear about it.

After she told me that story, I realized that things happen for a reason... it isn't over unless you let it be over. Even tho it seems like your world is crashing down, something good could be waiting around the corner. And then yesterday I checked out monster.com and found that for the first time in almost a year, someone IS hiring for my current specialty.... the job opening was posted yesterday, and the company is minutes from my house. Interesting coincidence....

Anyway to make a crazy long story short(er)
it's scary now, but you just never know how good these things will turn out!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That totally stinks. Wow, and they did it meeting the stereotype: laid off the first day back from vacation. Well they're loss right?!

Keep your chin up though! You obviously have a passion for what you do, so the right employer will see that passion and hire you.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

I actually just applied to 2 jobs with the state last night. I'm completely qualified and all. I also have 2 resumes ready to mail off anyway. I sort of knew it was coming, just not quite this fast. I've also really been looking anyway. DH told me I could take a few months off if it happend. Not that I will. It may take that long to get a good position. I've also been toying with taking some classes. So I'll find the silver lining wherever I can. In the meantime, I will love on Mooch and Noodles.
It just stinks they told you the day you come back from vacation. I just hate that. I wish you luck getting the state job.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i am very sorry,
i can tell from manhy of your posts how much you like what you do.
i would bet something will open up for you very soon

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

I don't blame you for being on TCS.
What are they going to do, fire you?
Thats what I said at my last job too
I was on TCS all the time, and left early- I told my boss if they didn't like it, they could fire me... I was leaving anyways!

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LeighAnn. I know you will find something soon, in the field that you love.

I know you were pretty miserable there for awhile, so this might be a blessing in disguise.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry - that is stinky!! Hopefully this has happened for a reason and you will find a better position for you. Good luck.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MuttigreeMom

I'm so sorry

I know what you're going through as I have a hunch I'm going to be laid off in about 2 hours...
It's all stinky huh? Let's meet for virtual drinks tonight!

Thanks for all the hugs and encouragemnet guys. It does help a lot.