Outdoor pond help

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm in a bit of a predicament here
I woke up to find my koi pond's water level has dropped by about half.

I need to put more water in (probably about a bucket) but I know I can't just pour tap water in there.

Does anyone have a fish pond that could lend some suggestions?

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh no, I hope your fishys are gonna be OK - do you know why it dropped so much, that sounds like a leak to me...?

sorry no advice on refilling

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

oh no, I hope your fishys are gonna be OK - do you know why it dropped so much, that sounds like a leak to me...?

sorry no advice on refilling
We keep a wooden cover on the pond at night to keep all the raccoons out and it looks like the cover shifted and screwed up the pump causing the water to spurt out.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about filtered bottle water? Or maybe Distilled Water? Though I'm not sure about Distilled water. That is water. I know it's dangerous to drink because the process of distilling removes electrolytes and drinking that kind of water can cause your own body's electrolytes to shift out of the body's cells in order to achieve equalibrium. But I don't know if it's ok to use in a pond.

Bottled water that doesn't contain chlorine or salt might be ok.

Here are some links:

http://www.dreamscapeswatergardens.com/tips.htm

http://www.pond-o-mania.com/pondsupp...ingcenter.html

http://www.plantdoctors.com/spring_opening.htm

http://www.klsnet.com/pond.html

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a pond personally, so I'm basing this on my knowledge of raising goldfish and my FIL's koi/goldfish pond...

But usually if you have standard city water, you can just use a water dechlorinator (use one that takes out both chlorine and chloramine). It's usually something like 5ml per 10gal... but the directions will be on the bottle. You can get them at any pet store or even some grocery stores... runs about... hmm... $5? Probably less.

If you have well water and you don't add chlorine to the well, you can probably use that water straight since that is the water your fish would be getting anyway...

If you have well water with a water softening system - don't use that water! Instead use water from the R/O system, add R/O Right to the water (can buy at a pet store.. $7 roughly) and that will work fine.

HTH!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the help everyone. I went out to the petstore and picked up some liquid to get rid of all the chemicals. We do have a water softner system in our house. But I took the water from our outside tap....so I would think that it is hard water

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The water from your outdoor tap should not be connected to your water softener-usually indoor water use only. You might want to fill up some buckets and leave for a few hours so the water can warm up so it won't be a shock when adding to the koi pond.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you get it completely fixed, Tracy?

You need to take some picture of your Koi, I just love them!

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Filling up buckets is a good idea because the sun will remove all the chemicals, or if possible, just fill it up a little each day until it is back to where it is suppose to be. As long as you don't put too much tap water in at once, your fish should be fine.