Flowers from your own yard

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that most of us females LOOOVE getting flowers from out SO, but how many of you venture out into your front/back yard and take your own cuttings to admire? I just went out and grabbed these, even though Winter has just started, there are some pretty flowers out. Camellia, lavender (not fully in bloom), daphne (also not fully in bloom) and rosemary (we have so much of it i'm in the middle of making a bath/massage oil). It makes for an interesting combination, and i also love using closed and half open buds to make the boquets show the stages of life instead of just having opened ones which means even when the opened ones die, you still have others that will bloom further on. What do you think? Do you guys do this?

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
those are just beautiful and you know a lot better than some I've seen in the shops, so natural and vivid - lovely just lovely.

Thats certainly one thing I miss here in Spain, don't think cacti and palms would make a pretty bouquet

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you
i know the Camellia looks pale but it's actually a deeper pink irl. Got night mode on my cam. Cacti can be perti. I'm waiting for my teeny rebutia to bloom, it will have red, yellow and orange blooms. I only bought it a few months ago

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Very, very pretty! I love the cammelia, especially. I also use herbs in my bouquets, even when they go to flowers; they usually have pretty tiny flowers. I also use rosemary a lot--I love the scent, and also basil (ditto). I don't have many usable flowers for cutting right now, sadly--only the roses I posted pics of the other day. I always cut something from the yard, to put in a bud vase on my desk at work.

MargeCat

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I have flowers I may bring some in. But Charlie seems to like them too much! So I may cut some and take to work for my desk

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lovely - I use a product called Camilia for my son's teething pain!!

I like to look at flowers form a distance, but overall - not a big flower fan. Hubby has never bought me flowers...as per my request. Waste of money, IMO.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

I know that most of us females LOOOVE getting flowers from out SO, but how many of you venture out into your front/back yard and take your own cuttings to admire? What do you think? Do you guys do this?
Yep, this guy does. Guy as in man. I posted a new post the other day about why were there so many women here on the cat site and I think flowers have the same misunderstood feelings. Women are supposed to like flowers and cats. Well, here is one man that likes flowers and cats. I grow carnations and daisies in my back yard because they are easy to grow but mainly because when you bring them in the house, they last so long. Two weeks and they still look good. Not as fancy as yours to be sure, but I do have flowers all over my back yard that you can see from the windows and flowers all throughout the house. And women hear this and hear it well: Nothing honors us men (men like me, anyway) than to receive a bouquet of flowers at work! It sure does raise a lot of eyebrows (why?) but I cannot think of anything that has ever pleased me more.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, those are lovely..I don't have a flower garden. If I did, I would take cuttings for my table though..Oh wait..NO I couldn't..Trout would eat them

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cut some peonies and iris's earlier this month-nothing really blooming to cut now. I have a section of my veg garden that is devoted to annual cutting flowers-zinnia's, cosmos. sunflowers.