Cat Attract

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am only starting a new thread b/c after reading all the posts on poor Pokey's problem, I wanted a fresh start here.

I know you all are tired of hearing from me, but when I said I was having problems with my older cats, I was afraid to mention this subject, b/c was afraid of the replies (but we won't go there).

I have been going through this big time....older cats (4) now that will either pee or poo outside the litter box...so I have newspaper in front of the boxes....also...the oldest one that I have posted about (Pub) has gone in my kitchen sink, etc.

I know this is disgusting, but that is what this forum if for...people who know and understand.

I keep my litter boxes (4 large) clean.....clean them twice a day.....and use the same litter they seem to like....clumping from Publix....

So....my question is...what is this Cat Attack product? I checked online and they have many explanations and many offers.

Biggest question is.....and it was asked by Pokey and others on that thread....

can you mix it with other litter?? Has anyone actually tried this. Would LOVE to hear from someone that has ACTUALLY tried it.....

this could be one more problem you wonderful people have solved for me.

Thanks....

Too Many Debbie

catnapt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hi
yes debbie you can mix it with the litter you have, in fact that is recommended for cats who dont like to switch litters

if you mean will it work as well if its mixed with a less expensive litter, i dont know for sure

i've mixed it with that corn litter, i've mixed it with wheat litter (Sweatscoop) and i've mixed it with a cheaper clay litter

my cats prefer it to anything else

you can get it on line at Pet Food direct, and they are having a 20% off sale right now (20% off everything)

here is the link if you're interested:
http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/d...NBL84NEMSUAMH1

use code PET3430
to get the 20% discount

i think its well worth the price

there is also a new product that you add to the litter you are using- i' ve never tried that but it woudl be a lot cheaper if you want to stay with the litter you are using

good luck!!

luxum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You have 16 cats, right? Four boxes for that many cats are really not enough in my opinion - that's 4 cats per box. Could you possibly add some more boxes? That might help your older cats to be more comfortable with their boxes. Doubling the amount of boxes would take the ratio down to 2 per box, still not optimum, but closer. Optimally there would be a one box per cat + an extra box, but 17 boxes are probably not feasible for you.

The other point i'd like to make (gently, i hope) is that litterbox issues such as you describe can be a sign of medical issues. I know you have a lot of cats and a limited income, but cats with elimination issues really ought to see a vet if there is any way you can swing it. You may be able to find a vet who will work with you at a discounted rate or a payment plan since you rescued so many cats and need some help. Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Luxum, for your advice. Actually, the one who is giving me the most problem is Pub, who is 18....and he is the one with the "runs" that seems to be much improved now since I have been giving him the chicken/rice and a little cottage cheese. He will go to the vet if it gets worse, but it is getting better.

As for the litter boxes....everyone flips when I say four boxes. I actually have five...one in my bathroom for the ones who insist on sleeping with me and don't want to make a trip to the other boxes which, unfortunately, I have to keep in the kitchen.

I use to have 7 boxes....and they only used 4 of them...don't know why....BUT...all five of these boxes are the GIANT boxes....the largest they sell....they were expensive....but I had to get them...I clean them twice a day.....and beleive me....when I do the once a month complete clean up with the clumping...my back tells me about it for days after.

Thanks for your advice.

Toomany

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i've just bought some of the cat attract, & am mixing it, so i'll let you know. i only have one with a problem, the kitten, but i have the litter, so i might as well use it for all.
for litterboxes - to cut down on expense & give you lots of room - many people here use the large rubbermaid or sterilite totes. you can cut an access hole either in the side or the lid for the cats, & there's lots of room for digging if you have flingers. do a search using rubbermaid & you'll see some pix of them.

mcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The Cat Attract Litter does work. It helped with Peaches out of the box episodes. There is also something that you can add to your regular litter that acts the same way. Loads of luck to you.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by toomany

I use to have 7 boxes....and they only used 4 of them...don't know why....BUT...all five of these boxes are the GIANT boxes....the largest they sell....they were expensive....but I had to get them...I clean them twice a day.....and beleive me....when I do the once a month complete clean up with the clumping...my back tells me about it for days after.

Thanks for your advice.

Toomany
I wish you lived near me- I would help you out with cleaning boxes!

Jenny

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used it to get Frankie back to the box and that paired with a few other tactics worked great. Actually, when I first added it to the litter she immediately went in and did her business which she never does.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How expensive is Cat Attract at the pet stores? I need to get some for Jasmine- she's still having issues.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Cat Attract has probably saved Forest's life. We were having so many problems with him peeing outside the box that DH was ready to kill him.
We took him to the vet and got a clean bill of health, so we knew it was a behavioral problem. (I believe it's because of his CH...he has to get way down really close to the litter to get into a stable position. We have to use a huge underbed storage box for his litterbox so he has room to spread out. If the litter's dirty or he doesn't like the smell of it, he prefers to use the floor.)

As soon as we tried the Cat Attract, he immediately started using the box. Of course, so did the other two cats, who prefer it too. We finally just converted it over and use only Cat Attract in our house now. (Unfortunately, when we tried to switch back or mix it with other litters, Forest immediately started peeing on the carpet again.)

It's expensive...about $12 for a 20-lb bag. It does seem to last a long time, though, and it's cheaper than new carpeting. We've been able to buy it at our local privately-owned pet store, Pet Supplies Plus, and PetSmart

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

How expensive is Cat Attract at the pet stores? I need to get some for Jasmine- she's still having issues.
i bought a 20-lb bag last night at Petsmart for just over $13, including tax. they also had a 40-lb bag available, which was less per pound, but harder for me to carry
also, the larger bag was for multi cat households. the smaller one that i bought said cats & kittens. since Firefox is the one i'm currently trying to train, i chose that one. she's pooping in her box regularly, now, but still peeing on the floor
thankfully, i have wall-to-wall linoleum floors, so it doesn't hurt them... i just don't like stepping in it!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
ok, i'm a convert! i completely changed out Firefox's litter for the cat attract... & she went pee and poop independently in the box!
here's a pee dance!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

www.petfooddirect.com has it. Only problem is the shipping, since it's heavy. I think they sell the additive too, that wouldn't cost so much to ship.
I used the additive and it is a lot less weight so therefore cheaper to ship.

I had an outdoor cat that I attempted to make an indoor cat and he wouldn't use the litter box until I started using the additive. It works.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Debbie (I think!
)

Luxor used to have litter box issues and we switched to Cat Attract and he's been 100% better! This litter doesn't have the nice scent which so many of us are used to, it doesn't clump as solidly as I'd like. It breaks up when you scoop it so you have to be careful. The good thing is that it doesn't have very much dust so it'd better for the kitties and it's easier to clean.

As for online, I'd go with the additive instead of shipping the bag, that way it's cheaper to try. Especially if it doesn't work. And it will be easier on your back. The additive is still called cat attract I believe and is less than 10 dollars. It's basically dried catnip I think.

I've had good experience with this and if Pub just needs a reminder then this will probably work. If Pub is missing because he can't get in the box, or it's too far away when he has to go - your options might be modifying a box just for him, steps/cut aways so he doesn't have to climb. Or maybe add a small box where he seems to go the most for 'just in case of accident'.

Hope this helps......
Renovia