Bad orrr not?

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a question. If I were to ever adopt a pet (like on petfinder) or at an animal shelter and they have already named the pet, would it be a bad idea to change its name? In the future I want a kitten/young cat and I dont think it would be too bad to change its name at a young age. What do you guys think?

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think a name change would be fine. My mother (and her mother) thought it was bad luck to change a name. I think that's baloney. If a cat has a bad past, why not give it a new name to go with its great future?
I don't think it is difficult for a dog to learn a different name.

lakeriedog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As long as the kitty doesn't mind, I'm fine with it. The neighbor's cat moved in with us, and I changed her name from Alisha to Rosie. Rosie doesn't seem to mind a bit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I just wouldnt want to adopt a cat with a dumb name LOL

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I couldn't change my Damita's name, but she is blind & comes when called. The other's don't care so long as I feed them!

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Of course you should change their names~! Cats are very clever, they'll pick up on the new name quickly. I think that with ktitens, a lot of those names are just give out on the fly.

And remember, you kitty is probably going to give you a new name too. Hehe, I'm convinced that I'm now "mreow-roow!"

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i adopted my Chip off of Petfinder in March of '06. they were calling him Bear, but he was a stray, so they didn't know what his name had been. i renamed him, & he learned his name pretty quickly. so i don't think it'd be a problem at all! Pixel & Firefox are the only current two i have that i know didn't already have names... Cable & Java were both foundlings, so who knows

mcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sure you could change names if you wanted to. We kept Peaches' name because it fit her and she had so many bad experiences we wanted something to be constant. Paisley was found in a dumpster and didn't have a name. Arthur's original name was R-2, which no one wanted to keep, including him. My former cats who have gone to the Rainbow Bridge came with their names.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's fine to change their names too! Unless maybe you're adopting an older cat who has had the same name his/her whole life. But for younger ones, it's definitely okay! They won't know the difference.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I think it's OK as long as they don't already respond to a name. Both of my cats come to me when I call their names, and it's an instant way to get their attention, so I think they'd be confused if I changed them. Otherwise I think it's fine. A lot of cats in shelters come in as strays, abandoned, or as unwanted litters, and are given names by the staff (I've often thought it must be a nightmare trying to come up with original half-decent names for all the kittens that come in!), but they won't be used to those names so I don't see a problem at all.

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Adelaide came to us at 6 years old, we don't know whether she had a name before, but as she had been spayed we assume that she did. However, we started to call her Adelaide or Addie and she responds to that and comes running to us if we call her name.

So yes, if you don't like the name, unless there are special reasons e.g. the kitty being blind and being used to a name, I wouldn't have thought there would be a problem.

Good luck with finding your kitty

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS!
It's great that you've joined us!

If you have any questions as you find your way around the site, please feel free to click on my username and send me a private message. I'll do what I can to help you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roimata

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Personally I think it's OK as long as they don't already respond to a name. Both of my cats come to me when I call their names, and it's an instant way to get their attention, so I think they'd be confused if I changed them. Otherwise I think it's fine. A lot of cats in shelters come in as strays, abandoned, or as unwanted litters, and are given names by the staff (I've often thought it must be a nightmare trying to come up with original half-decent names for all the kittens that come in!), but they won't be used to those names so I don't see a problem at all.
Why DO they name strays? That doesnt make much senses to me since they are supposed to be going into a new home.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hola y bienvenido a TCS, ...Catulina
y Milky
te saludan!
!........

(Translate: Hi and Welcome to TCS, Catulina and Milky say hello to you!!!...
)

See you on the forums!