Old Mother Hubbard - Anyone Use It??

mysticalmissy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After 3 urine samples, my cat, Mick, has been taken off of his dry food diet of Wysong Uretic because his urine is acidic (pH is too low) and is suffering from calcium oxalate crystals. As a result, he needs to have an ultrasound of his bladder to look for stones and I have had to switch him (and my other cat because they eat out of each others dishes) to wet food. Unfortunately, Mick has a sensitive stomach and does not hold down any wet food. Thanks to surgery 2 1/2 years ago and a few days recovering at the vet, I did learn he can tolerate Old Mother Hubbard, which is made by Wellness. Has anyone fed their cats this brand before? If so, did you have any problems with it?

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We haven't tried the Old Mother Hubbard line. Wellness - yes, but not the other. I looked at the ingredients and it's not one that I would use but if it's the only wet food that works for Mick then...it's better than dry food. I am a big believer in the benefits of wet food for any cat, but especially a cat with bladder issues.

All of my cats are on a wet-only diet and I do have one who has had issues keeping it down sometimes. I have found that if I make sure that she eats slowly in small portions, then she does just fine. A huge meal for her would be 2oz of food...metered very carefully - not all on the plate at one time.

empire

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I too use wellness but not mother hubbard because of the ingrediants, maybe keep trying other ones . My cats are on 3 quarters canned food and starting raw soon. Maybe get some ph strips & monitor his ph

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've tried Wellness but nothing else in the line! My kitties weren't too pleased with Wellness dry at first (because they were on Nutro, bigger kibble, and wellness kibble is tiny) they adjusted and then I switched them to somthing else since it wasn't a favorite! My kitten however did like the kitten formula wet... She only had it once, before the recall and hasn't since! I had no problems with Wellness... It just wasn't a kitty favorite!

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by trixie23

I've tried Wellness but nothing else in the line! My kitties weren't too pleased with Wellness dry at first (because they were on Nutro, bigger kibble, and wellness kibble is tiny) they adjusted and then I switched them to somthing else since it wasn't a favorite! My kitten however did like the kitten formula wet... She only had it once, before the recall and hasn't since! I had no problems with Wellness... It just wasn't a kitty favorite!
My cats love the Wellness
The Old Mother Hubbard line is very different, though -
with by products, etc...

http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/p...8S0H26HE500439

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine couldnt work with the tiny kibble... It was too funny watching them try to eat it, they got very frustrated. They love their EVO dry... i think I will give them some Wellness wet eventually, since the kitten loved it so much and because they are overdue for some variety!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eww nasty.... I think Id skip that and seek other choices. I wouldn't use something like that as a daily diet!

mcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We feed Wellness canned food to our cats. I only feed them wet food. I think it's better for them. Our girls love all the Wellness flavors except Chicken; they do eat Chicken & Beef. I recommend Wellness canned foods and so do my girls.