Feeding question

angi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In the process of moving from So. CA to So. WI!!
I've recently been trying to change Roxy from dry to wet cat food. I was giving her between 3/4 cup & 1 cup dry food each day, sometimes a little more/less depending on what she ate. Now, I've got cans that are 5.5 ounces. I give her half of it the first part of her day & half the last. She is constantly meowing everytime I come in the kitchen though, & I can't tell if she's hungry or just wants the food. She used to get the wet only a few times a month as a sort of treat. She seriously loves the wet.

So, do you guys think she's getting enough? Does it equal to about the same amount of dry she was getting? I don't want her to be constantly hungry, but I don't want her playing my feelings just to get a treat either.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds like about the right amount. It's actually a little more than some of my cats are getting. but they need to lose weight.

You need to consider how much Roxy weighs now, if that is good weight for her and her activity level.

I'm glad Roxy likes her wet food. Wet food is much better for our kitties than dry kibble.

OK- I just read your other thread about Roxy. If she is a big girl, has been having trouble cleaning herself and needs to lose weight the one can of food per day should be plenty for her. And, yes, the wet food and extra moisture should help with the diarrhea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In the process of moving from So. CA to So. WI!!
Originally Posted by Jean44

That sounds like about the right amount. It's actually a little more than some of my cats are getting. but they need to lose weight.

You need to consider how much Roxy weighs now, if that is good weight for her and her activity level.

I'm glad Roxy likes her wet food. Wet food is much better for our kitties than dry kibble.

OK- I just read your other thread about Roxy. If she is a big girl, has been having trouble cleaning herself and needs to lose weight the one can of food per day should be plenty for her. And, yes, the wet food and extra moisture should help with the diarrhea.
Ok, thank you very much. I think she is just trying to get as much as she can from me.
I hate it though, becuase when she meows like that, it breaks my heart. I wish I could get her to understand that!

I just recently found out that the wet is better than the dry, & she does need to lose weight. I think she's around 13 lbs. (She won't stay on the scale long enough to be weighed properly.
)

Thanks again.

luxum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hate it though, becuase when she meows like that, it breaks my heart. I wish I could get her to understand that!
Perhaps you could try a little distraction. Elvirah will sometimes beg me for food, but i think what she really wants is my attention, and she associates attention and food. I have special toys that i store in a drawer where they can't get to them, playing with those is a "treat" to them. When she begs for food, i get out a nice interactive toy (like a feather wand or a fishing pole mouse, that sort of thing) and play with her, and/or offer her some catnip. It reinforces that when she's bored, she should play, not eat. Seems to be working well, the weight is slowly coming off of her.

She won't stay on the scale long enough to be weighed properly.
My baby scale has a "hold" feature that averages weight over a brief period of time to compensate for babies (and cats, heh) that won't hold still. I put the scale on the kitchen floor, put a cat on, hit that hold button, and wave my hands in front of their exit path for the couple seconds it takes to get a reading. Rajah doesn't even need the hand waving anymore, she just sits there until i give her the verbal cue that she may depart, but Elvirah still needs traffic control and probably always will - she's a scaredycat.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it sounds like you're doing fine. Hopefully the begging will subside over time.

I keep mine still on the scale with small treats.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It might just be the novelty of the wet food, and it will wear off once she knows it's not just a once in awhile treat. Cindy used to wake me up in the middle of the night for wet food, but she hasn't done that in quite awhile.