Water-loving breeds?

noludoru

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The only two I know of are Turkish Vans and Bengals.

Someday, far in the future, if I get another cat, I'd like one that likes water.
Mine like it enough to play in it, but that's about it.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of my Cornish Rexes liked playing in the sink with water. Charlie likes playing in water too.

I think more cats play in water then most people think

fuzzmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My foster Siamese, Clarence likes dipping his paws in running water. I have paw prints EVERYWHERE to prove it.
Once I had filled up his water bowl and it was so clear he didn't see it. He stuck his face into the water and had a sneezing fit. What does he do? Sticks his face into the water again. Such a silly boy.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh boy, do Turkish Vans EVER like water! Mine likes to hop up into the sink when the water is running, just so he can splash around a bit! Same with his drinking fountain. . . Toilets and showers are also fascinating places. We're getting him a wading pool this summer and will eventually landscape a small pond in the back yard for him.

Our Egyptian Mau also likes water a lot. We're convinced the Van taught him!
Bailey likes to take his toys, drop them in the water bowl, and then fish them out again!

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually think that if you introduce a young kitten to water in a non traumatic way they'll probably like it. Cats are curious and water can be fun. Most people don't think of giving their cat access to shallow water (supervised ofcourse!) when they're young.. well apart from the people who own cats of the known "water loving" breeds. I think that's sometimes a self fulfilling propecy so to speak.

Of course all cats are different and some Bengals I know of hate water just as much as your sterotypical cat.

calicocallie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My DSH kitty loves water (I realize that's not the case for all DSH since they are mixed from all kinds of backgrounds, but introducing them to water when they are young definitely does help). If I leave the door open while I'm showering, she jumps onto the edge of the tub and sticks her paws into the shower stream. She allows me to bathe her every month without a struggle. And funniest of all, she gets irritated with her drinking water... she lies down on her side while she laps it up... all the while her tail swishes angrily and sometimes she swats at it. Who knows what goes on in her head!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Radar is a half Cornish Rex DSH and he loves water, turn on a tap and he sounds like a herd of elephants stampeding towards you! I have some very funny photos of his reaction to the Drinkwell fountain we bought which I must upload later today...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Epona, Oh yeah those rexes

I had a litter of 6 one time and the 3 red-headed boys figured out how to get to the kitchen sink by way of the chair, counter......and they would all want to play in the water when doing dishes.

Got to the point where I'd have to lock them up to do dishes as I didn't want them all soapy!

peachytoday

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Radar is a half Cornish Rex DSH and he loves water, turn on a tap and he sounds like a herd of elephants stampeding towards you! I have some very funny photos of his reaction to the Drinkwell fountain we bought which I must upload later today...
I will second the Cornish Rex fascination with water. My Grasshopper is mad for running water. Every time we turn a faucet on he comes running. The top of his head is always wet. We get out of the shower, he jumps right in. I take a bath, he is on the ledge. I try to do dishes, he goes in time out to keep him from having a bath also. My other Cornish Rex, not as mad about water, he prefers to follow me around needing to have one paw touching me as much as possible.

Tricia

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see you are from Maryland (where I was born) - what cattery did you get your rexes from - I know a lot of the rex breeders out there

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Siggav

I actually think that if you introduce a young kitten to water in a non traumatic way they'll probably like it. Cats are curious and water can be fun. Most people don't think of giving their cat access to shallow water (supervised ofcourse!) when they're young.. well apart from the people who own cats of the known "water loving" breeds. I think that's sometimes a self fulfilling propecy so to speak.

Of course all cats are different and some Bengals I know of hate water just as much as your sterotypical cat.
This is pretty true, if they are introduced at a young age any cat any breed can get used to water. My Raggies seem to like water, some of the kittens I have now will try and get in the shower with me, and play with the curtain while I am in there. I don't think ragdolls are one of the known water liking breeds though, but my kittens all seem to, and I can bathe all my cats with out tranqualizers.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's one reason to give young kittens a bath and do it every so often - so they will not be totally freaked out if it becomes a more often bath

miyu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh boy, do Turkish Vans EVER like water! Mine likes to hop up into the sink when the water is running, just so he can splash around a bit! Same with his drinking fountain. . . Toilets and showers are also fascinating places. We're getting him a wading pool this summer and will eventually landscape a small pond in the back yard for him.

Our Egyptian Mau also likes water a lot. We're convinced the Van taught him! Bailey likes to take his toys, drop them in the water bowl, and then fish them out again!
Haha, my cats also like to fish things out of their water bowl. But my Turkish van HATES water. When I bath her, she is very scared, but donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t cry, and when she gets out she goes nutz hissing at herself. I canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t get caught in the line of fire, but I never put her in water until she was a year and a half. But when chokabo is drinking from a bowl she knees the floor as if she is nursing, I think the longer a Turkish van is bred outside turkey they lose that water love.
But my Turkish angora as a kitten was really cute, I would take a shower and she would come in at one side and run across and jump out the other. It was a strange game and she stopped doing it, now she hates water. I think itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s only if they are hot they like to play in water.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohhh come on now - you honestly believe that the Turkish Van lost his sense of water loving cause he was not in Turkey anymore?????

miyu

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
WOW, you never believe anything I say. I guess I am lying. Well my cat does not like baths, but when I bath her last and my other cats first she always dry’s off the fastest. She likes to play in her water bowl and the toilet. And she is VERY typical to her breed other then the water playing. But we live in Canada and its not always hot, but quite cold even in summer. Temp today is +15 C so she don’t go for a swim, but she stands out in the rain and it doesn’t seem to bother her any. Where my other cats will run in after a few. But I have never seen her play in a puddle. I’m sure it would be cute. Maybe she is jsut a weirdo, or maybe she gets mad when I bath her because its cold out and she is not sure why I do it.
The Noah's Ark theory aside, a full explanation for the Turkish Van's predilection for swimming has yet to emerge, but the leading hypothesis suggests that the early Vans were simply trying to stay cool. That region of Turkey is renowned for its brutal heat, with temperatures reaching well above 100 degrees Fahrenheit, so the cats may have learned to swim simply so they could survive the summer afternoons.
This also may explain the development of the Van's unique coat, which lacks an undercoat and has a cashmere-like texture that makes it water-resistant. Most domestic cats hate getting wet, possibly because they must spend hours putting their fur back in order, but the Van can go for a dip and come out relatively dry.
The coat's semi-long hair is white with colored markings restricted primarily to the head and tail. The color should not take up more than 20 percent of the entire body. This spotted, piebald pattern has been selectively bred into other cat breeds for generations, but many cat experts consider the Van to be the original breed to carry the piebald gene, and the other breeds are often said to sport a "Van" pattern.
another quote
In their native Turkey they are know to swim in shallow streams and lakes, however the temperatures there are very hot, so this might be the reason why. Having said that, they definitely have an affinity with water, and might like to paddle in the sink or even join their owner in the bath. So you may be lucky and have a swimming cat, but don't expect it by any means.
I have read much about the van cat and they all say the same thing. I don't think anymore "what wrong with my cat" lol

sadie's mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

A lot of my Cornish Rexes liked playing in the sink with water. Charlie likes playing in water too.

I think more cats play in water then most people think
My Ocicat Sadie loves the water. It's a fight in the morning to see who is going to have the first shower.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been meaning to post but keep on forgetting!

Abyssinians love water too!!!!

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Somalis love water too. I was warned by Mosi's breeder to be careful when I took a bath as he was likely to jump in. fortunately I dont have a bath, but he is always climbing in the washbasin and loves to play with water.