Minor emergency for Dylan today...

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So this morning, we woke up to find bloody pawprints all over the house -- so many of them that it was clear somebody had been bleeding for hours. Frantic inspection of kittypaws ensued, and sure enough, Dylan's left front paw was bleeding badly.

I threw on some clothes, gathered Dylan into a carrier, and started off for our usual vet, which is about a 15-mile drive. On the way, I called to make sure they could see him -- and they couldn't, not until mid-afternoon.

I made a U-turn and headed for the SPCA in McKinney, where we adopted Dylan, and called them as I drove. They were having a spay and neuter event and couldn't handle any other patients today, but they gave me the number of a vet they work with.

I headed in that direction and called, but they were short a doctor today and couldn't take Dylan, either.

So I was driving around in circles, the gas gauge was touching E, Dylan was crying pitifully in a too-small carrier, and I was just about in tears myself. I decided it had been a mistake to call ahead -- it only gave them a chance to say no. But if I walked in with a bleeding cat, surely...

I had noticed awhile back that a new vet had opened an office just a couple of blocks from our house. Clearly, now was the time to give them a try. It was a lovely little place, spotlessly clean, and the people seemed nice... and although the doctor was on her way out for the rest of the day, she stayed to take a look at Dylan!

Dylan was good as gold while she and the tech investigated the injury, though it was still bleeding badly and had to hurt something awful. It turned out that most of one of his pads is sort of peeled, poor baby... an almost surgical slice, shallow, but leaving a large raw area. After some discussion of glue and sutures, the doctor concluded that it would probably do better without either.

She carefully bandaged it in layers of gauze, self-stick wrap, and some very sticky stretch fabric tape. She gave me some liquid Clavamox for him and put an E-collar around his neck with a little gauze bowtie. And she suggested I get some "Yesterday's News" litter for him, because our usual Tidy Cats would stick to the bandage. All the while, Dylan was gentle and tolerant, and they couldn't say enough about what a good kitty he was. They told me to come back on Friday and let them make sure he was healing right. Okay.

A three-minute drive home, I let Dylan out of the carrier -- and suddenly, he was bucking like a bronco, frantic to get out of the E-collar! It was a terrifying sight, this poor kitty flinging himself around the room, and then, inexplicably, barrelling straight into a wall with an awful whack! I ran and held him, stroked him, talked to him about getting used to the collar, staying calm, being a good kitty like he was for the vet... but as soon as my hands left his body, he was off again, completely frantic, slamming himself around in all-out panic mode. It lasted for a painfully long 20 seconds -- and then suddenly both the E-collar and the bandage were off, and Dylan settled down on the kitchen floor to lick at his paw... which was now gushing blood again.

Back to the vet, another bandage that wraps up farther around the leg... no collar, because he clearly can't handle it emotionally, but they lend me a nice big carrier he can stay in... the hope being that if he's not trying to walk around, he might leave the bandage alone.

So I set up the carrier at home with a little litter box (temporarily filled with torn-up papertowels) and food and water, and I go out to find the "Yesterday's News" litter the vet suggested. Five stops and 90 minutes later, I finally track some down and head home.

And there sits Dylan, with the litterbox and the food bowls all overturned, the bandage mostly chewed off, and a considerable puddle of blood. At least eight hours after the injury, it's still bleeding terribly!

So I called the vet tech and she called the vet, and they agreed that sutures may be necessary after all. The tech told me to rebandage it (they'd given me the supplies to do that with) and bring him back in the morning. If the bleeding has stopped, they may just replace the bandage and have me keep him in the crate -- but if not, they'll sedate him and do sutures.

Either way, Dylan has some time in the crate ahead of him, I'm afraid. Poor ol' guy. The other kitties are very concerned about him, hanging out close by and keeping him company. I got him some adult cat "milk" as a treat, and he loved that. And when I rebandaged, I made a top layer with the very sticky stretch fabric tape around the injured part -- I don't think he can chew through that stuff. At least he hasn't so far.

Tonight, I'll bring his crate into my room, so he won't feel alone. Poor Dylan! He's such an emotional kitty... when he's sad, he's just so very sad, bless his heart.

Can you think of anything else I could do to make him feel better?

And thanks for listening... it's been a hard day. And now I have to get down and crawl around the house to see if I can figure out what he cut himself on. We're so careful -- we don't even leave silverware in the sink overnight. But obviously, there's something sharp around here...

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I am so sorry to hear about Dylan, I am sending you and him some hugs and prayers from Mississippi. Please let us know in the morning how he is doing too.

I am glad you are gonna let him sleep near you tonight, that should help him some, if he is still scared, I would just make a pallet and sleep by him.

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh what an ordeal for not only Dylan, but for you also..Poor Dylan..hope it stops bleeding for good and starts to heal..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, I have a big plastic storage box that I can pull up beside the bed, and with the crate on that, he'll be right next to me.
He's beside me as I type here, and if I step out of the room for even a minute, he starts to cry. It's so sad when our babies are sick...

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, poor Dylan! He must be feeling pretty sorry for himself

I hope it heals up soon so he can come out of the crate.

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor baby!

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is maybe some rescue remedy if you have any in the house? It's a long shot, but it might work...

Other than that - big hugs to Dylan for being such a brave boy at the vet! My goodness that must have been scary.

And perhaps a glass of wine for you?

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Poor cat! I would've been NOT happy with my vet that they couldn't see an EMERGENCY! :censor::censor::censor: is THAT about?????????????? When I worked in a doc's office, we never turned down an emergency type of thing....ever. That is pretty poor, if you ask me. Yet..another vet that you aren't even a patient of STAYS for you??? I would be switching....ASAP.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I appreciate your outrage on my behalf!
In their defense, though, they did question me at length about the nature of the injury, and at that time, I didn't realize myself how much it was still bleeding, so I understated it. They were perfectly willing to take Dylan, but it was their surgery day, and they couldn't promise to see him for several hours, since he wasn't a life-threatening emergency. So they really weren't being unreasonable... they're good folks.

It is nice, though, to know we have this nearby vet as an alternative! They're significantly more expensive, but they came through for us in a pinch, and that counts for a lot.

Thank you for the suggestion to have a glass of wine! I'm going to have to have something here in a minute, that's for sure -- because on top of everything else, I've got something going on with the right side of my head, a pain spreading out from the hinge of my jaw in every direction, to the point that I can hardly speak now. Sadly, though, I'm afraid Tylenol would be more appropriate than wine...

Hey, there was one bit of good news: last time Dylan went to the vet, he weighed over 18 pounds -- and although he is a big ol' lanky guy, he does have some middle-age spread, as well. But today, he only weighed 17.4! I think it's because, with the recall, we've switched to higher-quality foods that don't have so much filler: Chicken Soup or By Nature dry, and Merrick canned. So maybe all our kitties are getting healthier now!

P.S. -- thank you for reminding me of the Rescue Remedy! I'll go put some in his water right now...

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no no no -- I made such a stupid mistake! When I rebandaged his paw, I covered the whole thing with that very heavy sticky fabric tape, because I didn't think he could chew through that. And I was right, he couldn't -- but he was so determined to get to his paw that when he couldn't chew through it, he just grabbed it in his teeth and yanked until the whole bandage tore off of his leg, taking big clumps of fur along with it! I can't even imagine how much that must have hurt... or how desperate he must have felt, to do that to himself.

I can't believe I didn't realize what I was setting him up for. I'm an idiot. And the whole time, he was right here beside me, and I didn't hear a thing.

So I just hope and pray it stops bleeding during the night. It's down to just an ooze now, since he's not moving around much, so that's good.

I just had to take away his food, though, because he can't eat in case they have to sedate him and suture. I'm going to have him there when they open at 8:00 tomorrow morning and hope they can do whatever needs to be done right away.

And now Dylan's sitting there licking at the places where his fur has been ripped out... I feel so bad for the poor ol' fella.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwww Carol - just caught this thread. Poor little Dylan!!

I have no advice other than what you are already doing for him. The only time that one of my cats was injured like this was when one of my ferals ran thru a window and sliced the tendons in her back leg. When I called the vet at 1AM when it happened, he asked how bad was the bleeding. If not too bad, put her in a large carrier until the morning and bring her in for surgery. If the bleeding has subsided, you should be OK until the morning.

Did you ever find out what he cut himself on? That would make me very nervous. Trace all the blood trails to try to find the origin?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I think I figured out what happened:

Ever since Dorothy started living in our back yard, Dylan has spent a lot of time in the sunroom, where he can see her on the patio. (She's his little girlfriend.) Dylan loves high places, and he's always trying to figure out how windows and doors work... and right now, he's highly motivated to try to get out there to visit Dorothy, too. He's always trying to climb the screen door or the blinds, and last week, when the door was standing ajar (screen closed, of course), he actually climbed up a silk tree and stood on the top edge of the door, struggling for balance until I ran over and got him to jump down on me.

Well, last night, my mom put this lightweight plastic-and-nylon kitty tower up against the back door, thinking Dylan could sleep there and watch between the blinds for his friend Dorothy. And I think what he did was stand up on the top level of the tower and grab at the framing above the door -- where there were three thin, sharp finish nails sticking out. Mom had put them in to drape garland over at Christmas, and none of us realized they were still there.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Dylan and poor meowmy!! I hope that he is better today and the vet can help him. He must be completely miserable.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor dylan! Hopefully he will heal quickly and everything will be fine!
Don't blame yourself. We all know you would have taken out those nails if you would have known they were there.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Dylan was so upset all night, bouncing around in his crate, turning over the litterbox, trying to shred the towels, mraowing mournfully every few minutes... I didn't sleep at all. The vet had told me to call at 8:00am to see when to bring Dylan in, but I couldn't wait -- I was on their doorstep at 7:45.

They were able to work him in just an hour later, and the vet concluded that his paw pad really did need suturing after all. So they sedated him, put in six tiny stitches, and bandaged him up again -- a very, very serious bandaging job this time! They gave me some painkiller and a mild calmative for him, hoping it might keep him relaxed enough not to tear off this bandage.

They let me hold him while he woke up, and within an hour, he was well enough to go home. Mom and I took turns keeping him company all day, and he slept a lot... and so far, the bandage remains intact!

So Dylan's doing well, and we all thank you so much for your good wishes!

But now I have to go start a new thread about something that happened this afternoon (she says mysteriously)...

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Poor Dylan was so upset all night, bouncing around in his crate, turning over the litterbox, trying to shred the towels, mraowing mournfully every few minutes... I didn't sleep at all. The vet had told me to call at 8:00am to see when to bring Dylan in, but I couldn't wait -- I was on their doorstep at 7:45.

They were able to work him in just an hour later, and the vet concluded that his paw pad really did need suturing after all. So they sedated him, put in six tiny stitches, and bandaged him up again -- a very, very serious bandaging job this time! They gave me some painkiller and a mild calmative for him, hoping it might keep him relaxed enough not to tear off this bandage.

They let me hold him while he woke up, and within an hour, he was well enough to go home. Mom and I took turns keeping him company all day, and he slept a lot... and so far, the bandage remains intact!

So Dylan's doing well, and we all thank you so much for your good wishes!

But now I have to go start a new thread about something that happened this afternoon (she says mysteriously)...
I am glad that Dylan is doing better, please keep us posted on him.