Anyone know a home remedy for burns?

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was making dinner tonight and of course clumsy me... I burned my finger on the side of the pan.
I'm such a dork..

It hurts like crazy, but I don't have any burn ointment... aloe doesn't seem to be cutting it and the ice only helps temporarily.

Does anyone know something I might have around the house that could help?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just ice and aspirin or ibuprofen for swelling - I hope you ran it under cold water IMMEDIATELY!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Soak the area in ice water to stop the cooking process.

Also, apply some Milk of Magnesia. Yes, the laxative liquid!!!!!

Just spread the Milk of Magnesia over the burn area and leave it. Do not rub it in. Leave it as a layer and let it dry. Reapply as needed throughout the day. No need to wash it off in between. However if it does get washed off, reapply it again.

By tomorrow the burn should be almost gone! Provided it wasn't a deep one and blistering.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wasn't able to edit my own post, so: Because burns continue to burn for a bit afterward (literally, the damage continues after the actual burn itself, that's why it hurts so bad for so long) the only thing you can do is keep it in a glass of ice-water.

Using butter is an old wives tale that does not work - you don't put oil on a fire to put it out, so why use grease on a burn?

Do you have an aloe plant? THe plant juice is WAY better than any kind of aloe lotion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ran it under cold water for a while... then i tried a little ice... didn't do much. Aloe directly from the plant seems to work for approx 1-2 minutes, and then it's burning again

I don't think I have any milk of magnesia in the house - I'll have to check.

I'll put it back into a glass of ice water.. hopefully that'll keep the stinging down.

Thanks so much for your suggestions!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What I've done is alternate between the ice water and the aloe - gooey, sticky green on my fingers, and eventually the pain starts to ease.

What I love about aloe as a remedy above all others (except ice water) is that it helps the burns to heal with pretty much zero scarring.

I hope your burn feels better FAST!!!

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok the ice water is helping.. I'll keep it soaking for a few more minutes and then go back to aloe. Oy when I do something, I really do it well!

Originally Posted by Bella713

I hope the pain goes away soon, I do this all the time it makes me so mad
I use Ice and then Egyptian Miracle cream...it's amazing
Just out of curiosity... what exactly is Egyptian Miracle cream?

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow that looks like some fun stuff!
I'll have to check it out when I have some more cash

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At school, we use plain old cheap shaving cream - unscented and no special additives. Barbosol is around 80 cents a can.
Apply a thick layer and let it absorb in. If you need to remove it, it comes off quickly with water.
One of our teachers had radiation therapy for cancer - which means she will always burn easily. She forgot to reapply the sunscreen during a day long event and the burn was horrible. We kept reapplying the shaving cream during school (it looked strange but the kids understood). By the end of the school day, she felt much better.

The stuff from the doctor is the best though.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor thing! Are you sure you shouldn't go to emergency? If the site of the burn is white, rather than red, you really ought to see a doctor...

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, I'm ok now. It took a while, but it finally stopped stinging. Its a small red mark with a slight dent in the middle right now, but no pain or anything. The whole area is probably smaller in width than a pencil eraser.

Soaking it in a glass of cold water until it stopped stinging and then putting aloe on it worked really well

And I've learned to pay more attention when I'm flipping eggplant slices in the pan
On the up side, dinner tasted great!

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had some really bad burns myself. I have stuff thats like polysporin for burns (but its the store brand stuff) and it works pretty good. Other than that, I just use ice and aloe.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This may sound nuts - but fresh sliced tomato does the trick.

I received a v. bad second degree grease burn when I was waitressing. (Remember the sizzling Chi-Chi fajitas?) I had six inches of burn and the pain was horrible! The manager immediately took sliced tomatoes and rubbed them up and down the burn. The pain was soothed immediately.

I do this trick now any time I get a burn, and it still works.