Funny How Things Become "Not Good Enough"

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just thinking about laundry (since I'm doing that all day.)

I used to have to go to a laundry mat to get my clothes clean. Awful!

I got an apartment with laundry downstairs. Wonderful!
After about a year, I got tired of feeding coins and carrying clothes in and out of my place. It became Awful!

Then I moved into a house with the machines in the basement. Wonderful!

But... you guessed it! I'm so tired of dragging out clothes up and down the basement stairs... it's Awful!

If I had machines on every floor would I become dissatisfied with that, too? What would be next, sending them out to be cleaned? Would that become too much trouble, too?

Do you have an experience like this? Something that was great has become "not enough"?

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely: J and I getting our own apartment.

It was wonderful moving out of the house we had shared with another couple. Not that they weren't both lovely people, but just that I like having my own (insanely tidy) space, and it was frustrating always having other people around (never mind the mess). It was also ... awkward ... in that we had to schedule "alone time" for whenever the other couple was out of town or away for the evening, and that didn't always work out.

Now J and I have our own place, but it's not "our own place" -- we rent, and there are other tenants in the building. I'm tired of sharing my space with other people, even if those other people aren't right in the apartment with me; I don't want to hear loud music late at night while I'm trying to sleep, and I don't want to have to deal with the crazy lady downstairs who can somehow hear my cats running around overhead, but can't hear the bass right next door that's threatening to shake the building to its very foundations. I want my own house, and I'm tired of renting.

It was wonderful, and now it's just awful and I'm ready to move on. J, on the other hand, is afraid of change. Even positive change.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like our new patio!!

New paver patio very large!! Wonderful

All the mismatched pieces of furniture. Awful
No shade until about 3 pm Awful

Firepit for cooking and sitting around. Wonderful
Finding a good spot that the smoke doesn't get in eyes. Awful

A new very large perennial bed to admire while on patio. Wonderful
More weeding to do Awful

Whine Whine Whine!!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

I was just thinking about laundry (since I'm doing that all day.)

I used to have to go to a laundry mat to get my clothes clean. Awful!

I got an apartment with laundry downstairs. Wonderful!
After about a year, I got tired of feeding coins and carrying clothes in and out of my place. It became Awful!

Then I moved into a house with the machines in the basement. Wonderful!

But... you guessed it! I'm so tired of dragging out clothes up and down the basement stairs... it's Awful!

If I had machines on every floor would I become dissatisfied with that, too? What would be next, sending them out to be cleaned? Would that become too much trouble, too?

Do you have an experience like this? Something that was great has become "not enough"?
I was just saying that to DH this weekend. I think we have to walk down just as many stairs when we move to mom's. At least I won't have to carry the detergent or quarters down.

asecretk

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Awful! Wonderful! Awful!
Wonderful! Awful!
I know exactly what you are feeling. Basically the exact same thing happened to me.

Everytime I have to carry my laundry down those basement steps I groan about it but you think I would be grateful that I no longer has to lug them to the car and into a laundry mat.

I guess we are both spolied brats huh?

It does make you wonder how fast a convience can seem like a chore.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mirinae

Definitely: J and I getting our own apartment.

It was wonderful moving out of the house we had shared with another couple. Not that they weren't both lovely people, but just that I like having my own (insanely tidy) space, and it was frustrating always having other people around (never mind the mess). It was also ... awkward ... in that we had to schedule "alone time" for whenever the other couple was out of town or away for the evening, and that didn't always work out.

Now J and I have our own place, but it's not "our own place" -- we rent, and there are other tenants in the building. I'm tired of sharing my space with other people, even if those other people aren't right in the apartment with me; I don't want to hear loud music late at night while I'm trying to sleep, and I don't want to have to deal with the crazy lady downstairs who can somehow hear my cats running around overhead, but can't hear the bass right next door that's threatening to shake the building to its very foundations. I want my own house, and I'm tired of renting.

It was wonderful, and now it's just awful and I'm ready to move on. J, on the other hand, is afraid of change. Even positive change.
I know that feeling... except Matt doesn't want to buy because "the market's bad".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mirinae

...It was wonderful, and now it's just awful and I'm ready to move on. J, on the other hand, is afraid of change. Even positive change.
So you move into a house and the neighbors (on the side where the bedrooms are) decide to gut their house and completely renovate. It takes almost two years. Groan... don't ask me how I know!

Originally Posted by GailC

...Firepit for cooking and sitting around.
Ooo firepit would be wonderful!

Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

...At least I won't have to carry the detergent or quarters down.
And if you forget a sock you get it back which doesn't happen at public laundries.

Originally Posted by AsecretK

...I guess we are both spolied brats huh?
I hadn't thought about it but I think you are right.

Originally Posted by twstychik

I know that feeling... except Matt doesn't want to buy because "the market's bad".
Housing prices are going down in the U.S. and Canada! We are waiting, too, because prices have been completely though the roof here. Lots of signs of the market deflating so there's always hope.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I figure anyting is better thna renting... at least we build equity with a house. Plus, we both HATE apartment living w/a passion.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I haven't reached that stage yet...I guess I'm just happy to not have to drive to a laundramat.

However the only thing Awful about ours being in the basement is the walk down the stairs. One of the main beams for the house is right above the bottom step. So with an armload of laundry, you need to duck before going up or down.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

... One of the main beams for the house is right above the bottom step. So with an armload of laundry, you need to duck before going up or down.
Ours is like the descent into a dungeon, with narrow stairs and sharp turns. The house is so old!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes! I can relate to the laundry thing totally!!!

I live in an apartment and the laundry is down the hal from me. At first I didn't mind it, but one of the tenants started to spend pretty much all day in there several times per week doing not only her laundry but also her son's and his families (wife and 3 kids). I could never get the laundry room to do any laundry and I got tired of lugging it to a laundrymat or washing my work uniforms by hand in the tub. I bought an apartment sized portable washer that connects to my tap in the kitchen, and a dryer.

At first it was great.... I didn't have to spend money on laundry, and I didn't have to try and plan my laundry around 9 other apartments.

The bad thing about it now? I still have to do laundry! LOL

Another example...

We have a street in our downtown that is quite picturesque...grassy boulevards, street vendors, lovely lights at night...large office buildings that cater to many law firms etc.

I always dreamed of working in a law firm on that street. One day my dream materialized and I realized it wasn't as "glamorous" as I had imagined, hehe

I'm sure there are others, but those are the 2 that come to my mind.