Question about milk replacement...

jenniferl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've noticed kmr used in a lot of posts. I'm assuming those letters stand for kitten milk replacement, but is that the actual brand or just a shorthand term?

I've picked up two different types of kitten milk for when the babes are born (just in case). 1 of them is Wishkas Catmilk and the other is Hartz Milk Replacement for Kittens. Anyone have any input on which one is better for newborns if they need it or do I need to pick up something different entirely?

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
KMR is short for that. The can I get thats all it says and has a picture of a kitten nursing from a bottle. A gray and white kitten I think.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenniferl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. That's what I've got.

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The whiskas cat milk is for older cats, dont give this to thekittens, the wont beable to digest it. But Hartz works good, and so does Just Born if you have it there. KMR is an actual brand, you can get it at most vets, petstores, and farm & home stores.

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I prefer the Just Born brand in the cardboard containers (like a juice box). They last longer in the fridge. Some of the cans only last for 1-2 days and I ended up throwing a lot of it away.
The powdered stuff that you mix yourself didn't work well for me. I found it lumpy and the kits didn't like it nearly as much as the pre-mixed stuff.

Good luck!

Devlyn

jenniferl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, got that already. I will not be using the Wiskas, that was something bought by a friend of mine.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Devlyn

I prefer the Just Born brand in the cardboard containers (like a juice box). They last longer in the fridge. Some of the cans only last for 1-2 days and I ended up throwing a lot of it away.
The powdered stuff that you mix yourself didn't work well for me. I found it lumpy and the kits didn't like it nearly as much as the pre-mixed stuff.

Good luck!

Devlyn
same here. i have both the powder & the just born. i only use the powder if i need it warm, since the justborn container says not to microwave. Firefox seems to like them both, tho - she's not a real picky eater, yet...

jenniferl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It would probably be a good idea for me to have several different brands just in case one doesn't seem to be liked. Where would I find the Just Born brand? We have a Pet Smart and a Pet Co around here.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JenniferL

It would probably be a good idea for me to have several different brands just in case one doesn't seem to be liked. Where would I find the Just Born brand? We have a Pet Smart and a Pet Co around here.
i got mine at Petco. got the powdered stuff at the vet, but they have powdered at Petco, too. it's just a really large amount!

keisha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Good luck!

Devlyn
Yes that is why I like it also, it can last up to 14 days in the refridgerater! And if you need it warm you can just warm it up in another container.
I got mine at wal-mart and also my local Farm & Home store. My cat LOVES this, so I really think that yours will also. But you can try another kind also, i suggest the liquid though, because it comes already, so no lumps. And its in smaller cheaper packages.

jenniferl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the great info. I'll be heading into town tomorrow to see what I can find at the pet stores.