Change in behavior toward soft paws

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Hey y'all... I haven't been around in a looooooooooooooong time - I just finished my 5th year of college (finally graduated! haha) and my last semester was really hard, so I didn't have time to be on here.... now to my question

I've been using soft paws on Oliver for over 2 years now... he's always been really good about them. Naturally there's a little complaining and wiggling when I apply them and some licking after (actually, recently I've been putting him in a PennState pet t-shirt, cuz he doesn't like being in it, so he sits totally still when I put him in it - cuts down on the wiggling and allows time for glue to dry)... well the last 2 or 3 times I've replaced caps, he's started to chew at his toes until he can get them off (even weeks after they've been applied) - I've just noticed a little dried blood around the toes that he's managed to chew them off of - Not cool!... I don't want to put any kind of deterrant on his feet and have been hesitant to discipline him when I catch him chewing, just because I don't want him to think it's wrong to groom his paws - I just don't want him chewing at his toes to get the caps off....

Any suggestions?!
I HAVE to use the caps because as soon as he gets them off he's like "I've got claaaaaawwwwssss!" and starts bein a little devil with the scratching (he always uses his posts and boards, but when his feet are "naked" he goes to places he's not supposed to scratch too)... plus he likes to play-smack my dog around some and although I've NEVER seen him do it with claws out, I'd rather be safe

Most of you know my stance on declaws, so please no one suggest that... it will always be a firm no as an answer

Thanks in advance and hopefully I'll be around more!

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I honestly don't know... why don't you just clip off the little razor-blade-sharp tips so that the caliber of damage inflicted is decreased? (I too am firmly against the act of declawing.) And maybe the caps are too large or too small... are they a little long, causing them to come in contact with the skin or base of nail, hence causing him even the slightest discomfort? Or maybe they could be too short, therefore making them easier to chew off? Just a few thoughts...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Has he gotten bigger? I'm wondering if he needs a size larger.....
Nope, same 15 pound 5 year old big orange monster

I've been using the same size for the 2 years since he hasn't grown or lost weight (holdin steady at that big-structured 15 pounds... right where Dr. Kathy wants him).... as far as "just clipping" I always keep him clipped - front and back - cuz I don't always get to replacing caps immediately, but I always clip right when they fall off.... does no good those claws still get into the screen door and on the recliner, haha (but only when his feet are naked! I even spray with feliway... ugh, he confuses me!)

Maybe next time - if he cooperates - I'll be very detailed and make sure no glue comes out the top or wipe off any that does... I was thinking of trimming the paw hair just around his nails as well (I do it with dogs all the time when I groom them) in case glue is clumping in that hair... any suggestions on cleaning up the dried blood - he's not due for a full bath til next month.... will rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball be sufficient?

Thanks.... keep the suggestions coming!

Just gotta wait for this thunderstorm to end so the big scardy cat will emerge from under the bed

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you try clear soft paws next time you re-apply? That way, you can see under the cap to see how they fit & if there's a problem.

As for cleaning the blood off, I'd just use a wet cloth if it will suffice. Otherwise, make up a little shampoo-y water & dip the cloth in that.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Can you try clear soft paws next time you re-apply? That way, you can see under the cap to see how they fit & if there's a problem.

As for cleaning the blood off, I'd just use a wet cloth if it will suffice. Otherwise, make up a little shampoo-y water & dip the cloth in that.
I do alternate between the clear and the blue and when the clear are on (which I used for pretty much the first year) they do fit properly - I would just trim down the ones for his "thumbs".... but I gave up capping his dewclaws, because even without chewing they'd fall off really quickly and they don't do much if any damage in the scratching... thanks!!! any more suggestions welcomed!

And, he's still being scardy cat under the bed.... stupid storm! Hopefully I can bribe him to come out with a few cookies....

teetee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

I do alternate between the clear and the blue and when the clear are on (which I used for pretty much the first year) they do fit properly - I would just trim down the ones for his "thumbs".... but I gave up capping his dewclaws, because even without chewing they'd fall off really quickly and they don't do much if any damage in the scratching... thanks!!! any more suggestions welcomed!

And, he's still being scardy cat under the bed.... stupid storm! Hopefully I can bribe him to come out with a few cookies....
I have found that if you clip off a little bit of the top, the soft claws seem to stay on longer. I think the top tip may hit the skin when kitty's claws are sheathed and causes the soft claws to not adhere as tight.

For the blood stains, the last time my kitty was in the ER, they gave me gauze soaked in peroxide to clean off the dried blood from where they took out her IV.

bruce&sheila

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How about just not capping his rear claws - it seems to me that the front ones do the most damage?

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bruce&Sheila

How about just not capping his rear claws - it seems to me that the front ones do the most damage?
I do and have only cap the fronts.... he only does minor damage with the back feet when we play bunnykick... I'd feel so bad capping all four feet - can't imagine trying to scratch an itch effectively!

I checked yesterday and he's only lost 2 total caps so far... I think I'm going to wait a little til 1 or 2 more fall off and then try some new methods when I apply... will update!

As always, more suggestions and insights welcome!