Wet Food

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to start feeding my cats wet food along with dry, but I have to find one they will like. I want to try the Wellness grain-free. How often should I feed wet food? I know it can vary with some people from once a week to a daily schedule. Thanks!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Other grain free wet s

thou I like wellness alot

Evo

Natures variety

Merrick

meow mix pouches ( some)

sheba in the gold tub( only occational food)

Solid gold s tuna ( tapicoa is not a grain( shakes head))

Natural balence venison and pea

Evangers ( some )

I always did 50 dry with 50 wet daily

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say it depends mostly on your cat food budget... I would suggest feeding as much wet food as that allows for. In my case, the cats eat better than I do.
They get wet for every meal, dry just for treats.

When you're just starting out, I would just sample something each day...it'll probably take some time to figure out their preferences and/or get their enthusiasm up. A lot of times the hardest part is getting them to really try it, rather than taking 2 licks and walking away.

They might have some stinky poo *at first* but that goes away with time. Eventually it smells a lot less than on most dry foods IMO. I think some people give up early because of that initial reaction.

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My kitties get a wet meal every evening, and I put dry out each morning for them to snack on during the day. I've been feeding Innova and Wellness.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed wet 2 times a day. Each serving is about 1 1/2 oz.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your replies. Thanks sharky for the other grain frees!
I want to try and get my 14 year old on more wet food and probably see if I can get the others to eat it also.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine get 1 wet meal a day (5.5oz can of Wellness split between the 2 of them that will eat it) and have dry food out the rest of the time. If I could manage it, I would have them all eat only wet food because that's really the healthiest IMO.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine where getting some in the morning with a little dry during work hours and then again in the evening (so twice a day)! Well I had to take them off of wet food for awhile because I had switched there dry (from Wellness to Evo) and in combination with the wet they got really sick! So I had to let them adjust to evo... Now I am slowly introducing them back to wet (A scoop in the evening or two) using Felidae Chicken and Rice (which is what they are on before)! I would introduce it slowly... just to figure out what they like, if they even take to it at all (it took me about a month to get my older cat to try wet)!

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wellness is just too expensive for me, and my local PetCo doesn't carry it anyway. I feed Zoe free rations of Nutro Natural Choice Complete Care Indoor Kitten dry, since she is still a kitten. As she gets older, this will be rationed to help maintain her health, also making it easier for me to keep up with her appetite fluctuations. I feed Natural Balance All-Age wet, about 1/4 of a 5.5 oz can at night. For wet, I will also be feeding Fancy Feast, Nutro, Friskies, IAMS, and Meow Mix. Once I finish one can of something, she'll start something else, to prevent her from being a picky eater later on in life, and just to keep her meals different, rather than boring. Keep it fresh and let her become curious and eager about what is for supper.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Duchess another grain free one is Eagle Pack canned.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

I feed wet 2 times a day. Each serving is about 1 1/2 oz.
that's what I'm doing, more or less, I actually feed 2 or 3 meals depending on how fast Bella is eating any given day. Typically they get 1-1.5 oz wet in the morning, DH puts out 1/3 cup dry a couple hours later, I clean away whatever dry is left and give them another small meal of wet when I get home from work. If it's a go slow day, I'll give them a smallish wet meal when we have our dinner to keep the beggars away

At first they were eating all the dry, but now I find they hold off on the dry and wait for more wet

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

Hmm...IIRC those have oatmeal and one flavor has barley.
One has oatmeal thats the duck/oatmeal one. Didn't go over well. And the turkey one has barley. The others don't though. Thats the chicken/lamb, shrimp/salmon and another one.

Actually i stand corrected just the chicken and lamb is grain free. the others have oatmeal (duck), barley (turkey) rolled oats (ocean fish/tuna, shrimp/salmon). And they are number 5-6-7th on the ingridents list (exact position depends on varitey.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are on all wet food. They get three meals a day, 6:30am, 3:00pm and 9:00pm. I usually give a larger serving at the morning meal because that is when they are very hungry.

I've been feeding them grain and fish free varieties of Wellness and Natural Balance. I've tried other foods but they aren't enthused about anything else.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I prefer feeding wet food since it is so much easier to tell who is getting how much at meal time! I have five cats and when you free-feed hard food, not everybody eats what they should. I'd get everybody on wet food if I could, but our two older cats are so set in their hard-food ways. . .

My only complaint with the wet food is all the tooth-brushing I get to do now! My eleven-month old Mau won't even touch hard food. I doubt he recognizes it as edible. . . he's got some tarter buildup already and my vet forsees a future of serious dental cleanings

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed mine wet 3 or 4 times a day - when I get up in the morning, when I get home from work, and before bed. On weekends, I'll give them a dish around lunch time too. If I have the smaller cans (3 oz), I'll spilt one of those for a meal, and they rarely eat all of it. Cindy never eats all of it, and Swanie will only if it's something he really likes. I gave him a tuna fish flavor for a treat the other day and you would think he hadn't eaten in a month.
Finished his off and went looking for Cindy's. If it's the 5.5 oz can's, it's half for one meal and half for the next meal (if they'll eat the leftovers. Sometimes they get picky about that). Right now I'm feeding them Evangers, Natural Balance, and Meow Mix. They eat the Evangers, but not too crazy about it. I'm waiting until Wellness gets the new formula without garlic to try them on that. There is a store close by that sells it, but doesn't have the new garlic-free flavor yet (and maybe never). I hate to order an entire case just to try it, but I may end up doing that. It wouldn't be the first time. I'm waiting to talk to the manager of the store (she hasn't been there the last couple times I've been in).

I also put dry out at night in 2 small bowls (about 3/4 cup), a mix of California Natural and Orijen. Mainly because of Cindy not eating much, and she does munch on the dry throughout the night, so I keep doing it. I'd like to get them totally off the dry, but the recalls messed that up. If I can find 3 or 4 brands they love, I'll try it again.