Kitty Zooms

puma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! I'm a proud new kitten owner and also very new to this site. I have a behavior question for anyone who can help...
My 14 week old kitten ZOOMS all over the house. She starts off jumping all over the place and then runs from the bedroom to the living room, through the hallway, under the bed, under the couch--just ZOOMING all over the place. Meanwhile, her tail is flat up against her back. She usually just runs until she's out of breath and needs to lay down. She used to do it until she would actually start panting. Now, she's learned her physical boundaries and just does it until she's tired (not to the extent of panting anymore). Is this normal? I know kittens are very active and hyper...but is this jolt of energy normal? Is she trying to tell me something? Should I just sit back and watch her--which is usually what I do because I can't keep up with her little feet!

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's absolutely normal. Adult cats do it too, but in kittens it's even more popular. They usually knock themselves out and sleep deeply afterward.

Kittens can really tire out adults (both human and feline) because of their high energy level.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

puma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh Good! I'm so happy to hear that it's normal!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds normal. My adult does it frequently. I heard somewhere that means they are happy and that is a good sign

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yep, totally normal. I don't see it very much anymore, but after I give them their first meal after some hours of hunger (so breakfast, that is, lol), they just go nuts. Molly will zip around on all the couches, Willow will be "spooky" (meaning, when I look at her, slowly lower my body while staring at her, spread my fingers, she'll take it as the game it is and she'll totally blast off and take off running). Sometimes Willow does this when the temperature is cooler too. Buffy doesn't do it much, anymore, though. But before I feed her, she turns into a demon, getting into trouble and making a racket, and after I feed her, she goes off and sleeps somewhere or watches the birdies through a window or something.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

puma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much to everyone for letting me know that my kitty was totally normal for zipping around!!!!!

kellyquinn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats still do that and they're both adults... we call it "the 2am freakout." Actually, one of my cats likes to slide on her side everywhere, dragging herself with her claws in the carpeting or on the bottom of our sofa. It's pretty hysterical.

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My dog does this whenever he gets hyper; he is EVERYWHERE. Zoe has only done it twice so far... or atleast, for as long as she's been inside the house. It's rather amusing! But when she gets tired, she'll jump up on the bed, chase her tail and pounce of my canopy and curtains for a while, then sleep all night! Be grateful for this, keeps them from waking you up in the middle of the night to play with them! It is rather hysterical, because the hall (actually about a 10x15 ft room) outside my room has 5 doorways, including mine. You see her zip into one room, and seconds later she zips out of another and you have to wonder "how'd she get there?" then there's a little blur that dashes into the dining room, you'll hear her skid into the china cabinet, and then she's racing into the bedroom...
Evening entertainment!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kellyquinn

My cats still do that and they're both adults... we call it "the 2am freakout." Actually, one of my cats likes to slide on her side everywhere, dragging herself with her claws in the carpeting or on the bottom of our sofa. It's pretty hysterical.
Radar does that, he drags himself around on his back, digging his claws in to the underside of furniture to haul himself around! When he was little I used to worry that he would make himself bald down his back and give himself carpet burns he did it so often

I must at some point try to borrow a video camera and set it up to record one of Radar's frequent episodes of dashing around the flat like a mad thing, it is hilarious and a little scary!

margot23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yea my adults do it. Thats so funny we call it the 11pm and 5am FREAKOUTS!!!!!
Where they just run crazy around the house, do backflips and tackle each other. 20 mins later they're done and snoozing on the couch.