Eye problems

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Occassionally, I will wake up with my eye hurting. I don't know if I wear my contacts too long or if it is due to another problem. I changed them out today and my eye hurts so bad I could cry. I know it will hurt into the night and into the next day since I have to wear them to see. My whole eye is red and swollen. Driving this morning was very difficult because I could barely see when the sun shining and one eye shut.
Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can put on it tonight to try to reduce the pain and redness?

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it all depends on HOW it hurts. For example...does it feel like you have something in your eye? Or is there a sharp pain in one spot?

There could be a tear in your contact lens that is irritating your eye, or you may have scratched the cornea. You could also have a stye, which can also be painful (especially when wearing contacts).

If you have glasses that aren't too old, I would try wearing them until your eye feels better. If you don't have glasses, you might have to go see an eye doctor.

Good luck!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try some Visine to help with the irritation to start. I would suggest going to the eye docotr if it is swollen and red like that. I once had a sliver of wood blow into my eye and get stuck under the lid - if not seen to it can cause some serious damage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emrldsky

Well, it all depends on HOW it hurts. For example...does it feel like you have something in your eye? Or is there a sharp pain in one spot?

There could be a tear in your contact lens that is irritating your eye, or you may have scratched the cornea. You could also have a stye, which can also be painful (especially when wearing contacts).

If you have glasses that aren't too old, I would try wearing them until your eye feels better. If you don't have glasses, you might have to go see an eye doctor.

Good luck!
I was thinking about seeing a doctor, but this has been ongoing for a couple of months now and it happens about once a month or so. It's not always the same eye. It changes from one to the other. It hurts right now because I have the contacts in.
I do have a pair of glasses, however, I think that my eyes have gotten worse. My contacts are a little stronger than my glasses and things are not as clear when I have them on any longer.
I never had this many problems until now and it is extremely painful. When I take them out it hurts even more and the pain can last hours and even a day.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My BIL got ulcers on his eye from wearing contacts. His eyes still hurt when he took them out too. He had to get prescription drops to put in them, then had to switch brands. He wore the same brand for years, but sometimes your body changes. I would definitely go see a doctor to find out what it causing it. Eyesight is nothing to mess around with!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you use a computer all day at work? I find that my monitor (or maybe my computer) is a lot brighter at work then at home. So I tend to get eye strain more frequently because of this, especially if I do a lot of data entry. I tend to forget to blink when copy and pasting, so that's when my eye strain kicks in.

Other symptoms with this may include nausea as well.

Even if its intermitent, you may still want to schedule an appointment with the eye doctor.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wear contacts. This occassionally happens to me. I just take them out and wear glasses for 2 days, that does the trick. Beware, I think there was a contact solution recall recently that was causing blindness. You might want to check that out. But I don't think you are in any harm. an eye doc visit might be in order

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you by any chance switch brands of your contact solutions? You have to start a new pair of soft contacts if you switch solutions. Otherwise the two different brands mix and can cause the symptoms you describe. (Happened to me and I developed severe photophobia - it went away immediately after using new contacts and one solution.)

If that's not the case, I strongly agree you need to see an opthamologist. And take those contacts out if they are hurting you.