Vibes for a Newborn

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend (the one who fosters kittens and mama cats for the local Humane Society) gave birth last Tuesday, five weeks early.
Both mother and baby (a boy weighing in at 5 lbs, 7 oz) are healthy, but because he was born so early there are a few concerns and complications (not the least of which is the fact that her breast-milk is far from being ready, and they don't have anything prepared at home -- no bassinet, no car seat, no nursery ... the baby shower isn't until this Saturday!). He's still in the hospital, hooked up to a feeding tube, and although my friend has been released she's spending most of her time there (she tries to come home to sleep, but then she can't sleep because she's so worried about him, but if she goes back to the hospital she can't sleep there ...) and is burning herself out.

So, please, if you can spare any healthy, healing vibes for my friend and her son, I'd be very appreciative. This is the first child for this couple and the pregnancy was very difficult (she was put on bed-rest for the first four months).

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending prayers and hugs from Mississippi for your friends family and her baby, please keep us posted on how the baby is doing.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will send as many healthy and be strong vibes that I can their way!!! I hope he gets stronger quickly!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by psjauntie

Keeping whole family in my prayers. What is the babies name???
His name is Duncan Alexander. They knew the sex long ago (and told us), but were keeping the name a secret until he was born. I haven't been in to the hospital yet to see him (I'll be honest ... hospitals scare me, and J isn't much better), but in all the pictures I've seen he's quite adorable!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mirinae

His name is Duncan Alexander. They knew the sex long ago (and told us), but were keeping the name a secret until he was born. I haven't been in to the hospital yet to see him (I'll be honest ... hospitals scare me, and J isn't much better), but in all the pictures I've seen he's quite adorable!
Is he at Sick Kids? If so he is in the best of hands!

BTW - Love the name.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by adymarie

Is he at Sick Kids? If so he is in the best of hands!

BTW - Love the name.
No, he's at Guelph General, which suggests to me that his condition isn't too, too serious (otherwise it's just a hop, skip and a jump away to Sick Kids). Still, I can't help but worry, y'know?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My prayers are with them! I know that has got to be the scariest thing ever for parents to go through! I'm sure with a little time he'll be allright though! My friend had her baby about 6 weeks early and he turned out just fine! In her case her doctors said it was a bit of a blessing because she is very tiny and he was going to be a very big full term baby!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mirinae

No, he's at Guelph General, which suggests to me that his condition isn't too, too serious (otherwise it's just a hop, skip and a jump away to Sick Kids). Still, I can't help but worry, y'know?
If it was very serious he would either be at Sick Kids or McMaster's Children's hospital, so hopefully that is good news, but of course you are going to worry.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sending lots of vibes and prayers their way!!

My niece was born eight weeks early, and there were many complications that caused my SIL to be in intensive care for the first couple weeks of her life. Needless to say, breast feeding wasn't possible and they had NOTHING prepared. It was a tough thing to go through, but it all worked out. My niece is now a very healthy, very smart, very happy 10-year-old girl. I just relate this to let you know that these stories have happy endings, and I'm sure Duncan will pull through this fine.