so mad right now....

zero9243

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
so my cat let me have no sleep last night. I would lay down in bed, she would come up to me, and then start biting my neck, yes like a vampire :-D

Except it was cute at first, then she was biting harder and harder and harder. I would clap my hands and she would stop, then in 3 or 5 seconds start right up again biting my neck. I didn't have any wierd smells on me or anything, showered earlier but nothing abnormal there, didn't even shave.

I got the squirt bottle out and was squirting her when she was biting me, then the same result, she would lick herself then start biting again.

I got about 3 hours of sleep last night and i am ****** and don't know what to do. This isn't the first time she's done this and no matter what i do (timeouts, clapping loudly, squirt bottle) she doesn't seem to learn.

On a different note when a cat is "punished" does it know what the reason is if you wait too long? What counts as "too long?"

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How old is your cat?, and what do you do to punish it, the water bottle?.

Squirting cats with a water bottle is something we don't advise. It sounds to me like she's bored?.

What toys does she have, and do you spend some quality time with her to play?.

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The *general* solution to problems like these is an hour of intense playtime at night. Play with her favorite toys and just play with her! Wear her out completely until all she can think about is sleep!
For the biting... squirt bottles just plain don't work. Some cats might also associate -you- with -uncomfortable squirts of water in face- and your bond will slowly deteriorate. When she bites, just put your flat palm up against her face and push her away firmly, but not hard or angrily. Say "NO" in a firm voice, roll over the other way and pretend to sleep. This may go on for HOURS but eventually, she'll get the idea. I did this with Zoe's ear nibbles (which were sweet at first until she got in play-mode and started to viciously attack my ear lobes!) and it worked within 10 minutes. Depends on the cat. Be sure your kitty also has favorite toys out, food and water... maybe stick one of those wand toys in the the crack of a door and partially shut it to wedge the toy in there, so she can play by herself at night. Good luck with her!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zero9243

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

How old is your cat?, and what do you do to punish it, the water bottle?.

Squirting cats with a water bottle is something we don't advise. It sounds to me like she's bored?.

What toys does she have, and do you spend some quality time with her to play?.
So the water bottle is a no-no? She is 19-20 weeks right now and i play with her all the time, she has toys up the wazoo and we (my g/f and I) always spend time with her.

What disciplinary actions do you advise besides squirting? I thought this was harmless which is why i did it, but then again, i'm here to ask questions :-D

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwwwwww she's a baby!!
You've got a few month more of this until she quietens down i'm afraid

You can't really discipline a cat, but i would always spend an hour before i went to bed throwing ping pong balls about for my two to chase and get tired. Some give their kittens a bowl of wet food at night as well because they always sleep on a full stomach

Has she been spayed yet because that should help a bit.

I know it doesn't help the situation, but enjoy the mischeivous kitten moments because they grow up too quickly

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I totally agree with RosieMac too! It is gonna be a little bit before your little sweetheart grows out of her "play & attack" stage. Instincitvely, they are full of energy so they can constantly practice skills neccessary to survive in the wild. But enjoy her, because she will certainly grow up much too quickly!!! But I would still advise doing as I suggested in my above post; Zoe is 10 weeks and I used this method and the ear-biting has stopped! She'll give me a love bite every now and then, but who minds something so precious?

zero9243

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KuntryKitty

I totally agree with RosieMac too! It is gonna be a little bit before your little sweetheart grows out of her "play & attack" stage. Instincitvely, they are full of energy so they can constantly practice skills neccessary to survive in the wild. But enjoy her, because she will certainly grow up much too quickly!!! But I would still advise doing as I suggested in my above post; Zoe is 10 weeks and I used this method and the ear-biting has stopped! She'll give me a love bite every now and then, but who minds something so precious?
I'll give it a try tonight! It was just hard because I was going to bed at 2am and had to wake up at 5 so it was a rough night :-\\ She's a cutie though!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OMG!!!
And what a gorgeous little mischeivous thing she is as well

You know i bet she's teething as well?. Awwww she's lovely. You should most more pictures of her in fur pics because were all suckers for kittens

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is probably part of the problem! **Mystery Solved!!!** She's a young kitten with lots of energy, one of those precious kitty's with an outstanding amount of character and personality, and she's more than likely teething! Good luck with her!

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OMG!!! So adorable!!!

If she's an only kitten, you might want to consider getting another, slightly older kitten. Cats often do much better when they have a buddy to play with. She looks totally mischievous and probably has tons of energy.

Devlyn

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my word look at that little munchkin
Oh what i'd give right now to have that little bundle jump about the house

Yes, you can certainly see she's full of mischeif and i so envy you

It's a good idea what Devlyn said as well about getting another because they'll play a lot together, especially if it's another kitten, and that way you'll get a bit more sleep.

Note i said "bit"

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is absolutely adorable, the exact same colour as my Sonic
Look at that little face!

I think the others have given great advice, she's just being a kitten. She's discovered a new game which is a lot of fun - pouncing on you and getting a reaction from you is harmless play as far as she's concerned. Just lie still, push her off your neck with a firm 'NO' and try not to react by squealing or getting up to chase her away - she'll just think of this as part of the game.

zero9243

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yah so two days ago i walk into the living room to see her with the end of the toilet paper roll in her mouth and she's just looking up at me. she pulled the roll from upstairs down all the stairs into the first floor living room! boy was she proud of herself.....

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by zero9243

she pulled the roll from upstairs down all the stairs into the first floor living room! boy was she proud of herself.....
Weve got a few members cats who have done the shredded toilet roll thing as well but the pictures have been hilarious

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of mine did it and she was very proud of herself. I started keeping the bathroom door shut.

zero9243

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I did what people were saying and i try to gently push her away with the palm of my hand but when i do that, she just wraps her arms around my arm and bites even harder, so then i just keep my hand still and she still goes nuts. She wraps her legs and arms around my arm and bites and bites. I throw a toy and it distracts her for moments, then she comes right back to the arm. When i put my arm under the covers and not move my arm, she starts biting my neck again. HELP! :-\\

camille eonich

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When she scratches you or bites you don't jerk your hand away but hold it still and cry. It doesn't have to be real loud but do it a little loud oww oww oww and let her know that she is hurting you. That will teach her to stop biting and it will teach her not to use her claws on you.

Wear her out before you go to bed and if she wakes you in the middle of the night remove her bedroom privileges by putting her out of the room and closing the door. If she sits outside the door and cries ignore her.

My cats have full run of the house except for my bedroom. It's a treat for them to get to come in and pile up in the bed with us.
Sometime when they get let in they will just sit in the middle of the room and look around.

danigirl16003

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a similar problem with my cat Onyx. My husband and I started refurring to him as the tattle tale. If somthing in the house is not right he will come wake me up and till I get up and follow him to the problem. It has been usefull. He has alerted us about things as simple as their food or water was low, when a cat nocked over somthing and broke it or when the other cats were having an "arument". He as alerted us about a lot of more serious issues like when the phone was off the hook, when another cat was sick or had coughed up a hair ball, a water pipe leaking in the bathroom, and even once when my husband was passed out from heat stroke.
Lateley he has been coming in a waking me for no reason. If I get up an follow him he will lead me to the livingroom and then lay on the floor and roll on to his back and just look at me. He knows if he wakes me up I will get up. He isn't just doing it in the morning anymore. I have stoped getting out of bed for him now. I really just figured that he wasn't getting enough attention so I made sure he got more then eough attention through the day. but he still did it.
One day after a very long night of no sleep I was mad at him. I told my husband what happened all night (he was oblivious becuse he can sleep through anything) and I told him I am not letting Onyx any sleep all day. That is so mean I know. But I was mad becuse this was going on for days. So everytime I caught him sleeping I woke him, at least untill I was ready fro bed and I was not bothered by him all night. I still have a night were he just wont let me sleep and I keep him up all day long the next day and he would leave me alone at night for a while. Just 3 nights ago he kept me up and I kept him up. I wanted to ask the vet if not letting him sleep was bad for him becuse I know cats need a lot of sleep but he seems to have had no bad effects. I would like to know what everyone things about it. Is it a good option. I know everyone is not home all day to keep there cat awake.
I wanted to know that before I took the drastic mesure of keeping him a wake I read in cat books and looked online about ways to keep your cat from keeping you awake. I did everything I could find. I played with him an hour before I went to bed to tire him out and a bunch of other things and nothing worked.

zero9243

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not home all day to wake her up whenever she is sleeping. She is home while I am at work (i'm sure there are tons of others out there like that) my gf works different hours so she will go over there and see the kitty for an hour or two.