Dirty Cat Booty!

kmara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know there has been a post on here before about dirty cat booties, but my princess has an unusual issue. She's a big girl and therefore some poop gets stuck to her bottom...not in the fur ( she is shaved) but actually IN her booty. She drags it onto the couch, rugs, sheets.....it's pretty icky.

We have tried bathing, baby wipes, warm cloths with soap, etc. NOTHING works because the next time she goes it gets stuc right back in there ( if I can even get it out of her pooper in the first place).

I apologize for this rather unpleasant post, but I am desperate for help!

Thanks!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
not a fun discussion, but believe it or not, it's probably not the first time we've covered it here.

I have to ask, what is she eating? It sounds like she's constipated? Maybe she needs more wet food or a tiny bit of canned pumpkin (not pie filling, just pumpkin) added to her food?

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like it could be an anal sac issue...your vet could diagnose this and take care of it for you. Also, the plain canned pumpkin (not the pie filling) added to your kitties food will help the consistency of her stools, as someone mentioned earlier.

coriona_vanord

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep sounds constipated I agree with the other gals, Have the anal glands checked out, try switching her food (science diet) to moist or mix, still not better I suggest a mild supplement, that can be found at any pet store. A regular multivitamin often supports healthy bowel movements.

nadjatam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kmara, I was wondering if you've solved the dirty booty problem? Both my cats have this problem on occasion, but it seems to have become more common recently with the younger one (he's about 3-4 years old).

My problem is that high-fiber foods or supplements give him diarrhea very quickly, and he already eats moist food as about 1/2 to 3/4 of his diet. Nevertheless, he's been getting poop stuck inside him now more frequently.

I will likely take him to the vet next week to check out the anal glands. Would anyone know whether there any other symptoms I should look for if that is in fact the problem?

sooty_94

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kmara

I know there has been a post on here before about dirty cat booties, but my princess has an unusual issue. She's a big girl and therefore some poop gets stuck to her bottom...not in the fur ( she is shaved) but actually IN her booty. She drags it onto the couch, rugs, sheets.....it's pretty icky.

We have tried bathing, baby wipes, warm cloths with soap, etc. NOTHING works because the next time she goes it gets stuc right back in there ( if I can even get it out of her pooper in the first place).

I apologize for this rather unpleasant post, but I am desperate for help!

Thanks!
Maybe you could try a nappy
I'm not sure sorry. I know that our cat gets her poop stuck in her bottom but it's actually in the fur, she's a long haired cat. Good luck though, we usually just try and wait for hers to dry up then it doesn't seem like such a problem!

hallycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am interested in this topic becasue in a few minutes i will be trying to cut the fur around my cats booty.. she is very long haired and has poop in the fur and it is in balls around the back sidel. and she smells bad! she tries to clean it but to no avail.. sh eisnt a hands on cat she is ver independent and doest like being held so this is going to be real challenge.. I am going to have my husband hold her in a towel while i cut the fur . Do any of ou have any suggestions that will help me? please any advice will help. Also someone said their cat was shaved around the booty. how do you do that? im sure Missy wouldnt stand for that. it is going to be a job to cut away th efur balls in a few seconds without cutting her.. so how do you shave her? help please.. before i attempt this.. i am on and watching for replies. hallycat

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
I havent had this problem with Oliver but just had to add this story to this thread since it's relevant and gives a funny mental picture: I've got a black lab in addition to Oliver and all my tank critters... when the dog (Cuddles) was younger, we'd get her those dog toys that are giant ropes tied in knots - well she'd tear them apart and end up eating the strings.... this resulted in the poor thing not being able to shake poos loose cuz of the strings!!! Just picture in your head a beautiful black lab waddling around the yard in a squat with my dad following her around with a paper towel to try and help her out!!!!!

Needless to say, we stopped buying her those toys even though they helped her floss her teeth pretty well

L

larks

she is very long haired and has poop in the fur and it is in balls around the back sidel. and she smells bad! she tries to clean it but to no avail.. sh eisnt a hands on cat she is ver independent and doest like being held
Isnt that my Abby? saw this post and also waiting for ideas there. Her problem is less her bum but more about that long wafty tail she waves about teasing the other cats. So I cant really shave the whole tail, however tempting
. Although the way shes going she'll end up with no tail fur as I've been forced to cut the icky bits out once dry.

nadjatam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hallycat

I am interested in this topic becasue in a few minutes i will be trying to cut the fur around my cats booty.. she is very long haired and has poop in the fur and it is in balls around the back sidel. and she smells bad! she tries to clean it but to no avail.. sh eisnt a hands on cat she is ver independent and doest like being held so this is going to be real challenge.. I am going to have my husband hold her in a towel while i cut the fur . Do any of ou have any suggestions that will help me? please any advice will help. Also someone said their cat was shaved around the booty. how do you do that? im sure Missy wouldnt stand for that. it is going to be a job to cut away th efur balls in a few seconds without cutting her.. so how do you shave her? help please.. before i attempt this.. i am on and watching for replies. hallycat
Hi, sorry I didn't see this sooner but I've been away for a bit. My shorthair cats have had this happen a couple of times. You're doing exactly what I would recommend--having a second person hold the cat while you trim. Wear gloves if you're afraid of touching the poop b/c it will make the cutting go faster. I gave my cats treats afterwards. Anyway, I hope it went okay!!! I don't have any advice on the shaving though.