TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › No-Grain food worked a miracle!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

No-Grain food worked a miracle!

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
I had been posting for several months about a problem with my yellow tabby Little Kitty that had me in total despair. I mean, I was in tears and ready to give up on him and send him outdoors it was so bad. He was having UTI problems with chronic diarrhea and kept urinating on the floor. I tried various litters and multiple vet visits that led to steroids and antibiotics with every possible ailment ruled out.

I posted a week ago about some promising preliminary results after trying out some grain and gluten free canned cat food and I am almost certain IT IS WORKING! I can't tell you how excited I am! We're on week 2 now and all the bad problems have totally stopped. No more diarrhea, no more urinating outside the box. LK is losing a little weight (he was too fat) and is more energetic already. I threw out ALL of the dry food, including the Science Diet for sensitive stomachs. That stuff didn't help at all. Wellness canned grain-free has been the ticket.

Just had to confirm and share this again because my vet never suggested that changing foods could solve the problem. He only wanted to treat IBD symptoms.

Anybody whose cat is experiencing the same chronic problems, I strongly advise looking at grain/gluten allergy as a possible cause. Thanks again to anyone who suggested this idea.
post #2 of 20
Yes in some kittys grain free aids in fixing many issues .... Canned food itself would help what you described Glad it worked for you
post #3 of 20
Thread Starter 
Sharky, I'm pretty sure you are one who had suggested the grain-free or canned. I really can't get over the HUGE difference it has made. Thank you!!!
post #4 of 20
That's great news. Congrats. I know how that feels, from the frustration to the celebration.
post #5 of 20
It's so good to hear that Little Kitty is doing better. I hope his good health and behavior continue.
post #6 of 20
Sometimes I feel some vets are incentive driven probably because they sell Presciption SD so they will try to get you to buy those even though the ingredients sucks and doesn't really solve the problem nor get to the root cause of it. Sometimes I feel people here are a lot more knowledgable than some vets out there.
post #7 of 20
That is so great!!!!

I also had good results with the wellness grain free canned. I've been feeding it to Pippin twice a day. He also gets nutro max cat dry about a 1/2 cup per day in two feedings. His crystals are gone and his PH is where the vet wants it. He had both struvite and calcium oxalate crystals and his PH was around 8. I tried the prescription diets, but Pippin refused to eat it and I didn't like the ingredients anyways. We made the switch about a month ago.
I told my vet this and she said "Don't change what you're doing. It's working!" This is the second, crystal free urinalysis. Yay!
He does have a little bit of a lingering UTI which is considered normal after a PU surgery. Hopefully, the new antibiotic will clear that up.

Devlyn
post #8 of 20
Yay, congrats!

My vet tried to get me to buy into the same "sensitive stomach SD" for Ferris, and the first thing I noticed on the label was that it is LOADED with grains and fillers! I might as well feed the cat bread all day long!

I've been feeding mostly Raw Instinct mixed with Serengeti, and have had no more loose stool issues for a couple of months now!
post #9 of 20
Wow, that's great news! Thanks for sharing and thanks for letting me know that there is a GRAIN-FREE wet food! I was very leery about putting ours on wet, but will now try out the wellness one. What flavor have you tried that is sucessful? One of our cats has constant diarrhea and always goes on the floor or carpet and we are at our wit's end.
We free feed them dry right now and I just changed them on Orijen mixed in with Serengeti and they seem to like it! So now I want to add wet into their diet, but maybe twice a week or so.
post #10 of 20
Thread Starter 
I agree that the advice here is often more helpful than my vet's advice! Of course, the vet is essential for tests and treatments, but seriously, none of the ones I go to seem interested in PREVENTIVE medicine. And I have to wonder if it's because they would lose money.

Duchess15, the Wellness canned that I get is marked GRAIN FREE. I think it comes in flavors like Chicken, Chicken & Herring, and Beef & Salmon. The store I go to doesn't stock everything available though, but their price has been pretty good -- about 98 cents per 5.5-oz can. Do NOT get the ones that have Lobster and other seafoods because Wellness told me they mix grains into those varieties to keep them from being too runny. Yes, I wrote to them to make sure I was getting a 100% grain-free product.

Thanks everyone for your support and kind words!! And good luck to those of you switching to grain-free foods. Let us know how it goes.
post #11 of 20
Yes, like mrsbrak said the grain free flavors are:

Chicken
Turkey
Beef/Chicken
Chicken/Herring
Turkey/Salmon
Beef/Salmon

There are 3 that are NOT grain free, those have lobster, sardines, and trout in the flavor's name..I don't recall the specifics as my cats don't even like those flavors. They love the grain free ones, though.
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by beandip View Post
Yes, like mrsbrak said the grain free flavors are:

Chicken
Turkey
Beef/Chicken
Chicken/Herring
Turkey/Salmon
Beef/Salmon

There are 3 that are NOT grain free, those have lobster, sardines, and trout in the flavor's name..I don't recall the specifics as my cats don't even like those flavors. They love the grain free ones, though.
Thanks for the info! What stores carry wellness?
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess15 View Post
Thanks for the info! What stores carry wellness?
Not enough of them! I'm in an area where premium foods are still sort of a new thing, but I have 2 stores to choose from locally. Hopefully you can find it too. Here's a link to their store locator. I've found it to be fairly up to date.

http://www.geoserve.com/forms/omhwell.htm

EDIT - you might want to call the stores that come up on that locator, to make sure they have the cat food. Some only carry the dog line.
post #14 of 20
Other grain free wet s

thou I like wellness alot

Evo

Natures variety

Merrick

meow mix pouches ( some)

sheba in the gold tub( only occational food)

Solid gold s tuna ( tapicoa is not a grain( shakes head))

Natural balence venison and pea

Evangers ( some )
post #15 of 20
Also...Natural Balance Chicken & Liver Pate.
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaKitties View Post
Sometimes I feel some vets are incentive driven probably because they sell Presciption SD so they will try to get you to buy those even though the ingredients sucks and doesn't really solve the problem nor get to the root cause of it. Sometimes I feel people here are a lot more knowledgable than some vets out there.
So glad your kitty is on better food and is getting better. I feel the same way about animal and human doctors-they MUST know and still don't care because they would loose money.
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by beandip View Post
Not enough of them! I'm in an area where premium foods are still sort of a new thing, but I have 2 stores to choose from locally. Hopefully you can find it too. Here's a link to their store locator. I've found it to be fairly up to date.

http://www.geoserve.com/forms/omhwell.htm

EDIT - you might want to call the stores that come up on that locator, to make sure they have the cat food. Some only carry the dog line.
Thank you so much! I found a place that is not even 10 mins from me that carries the Turkey and salmon 3oz or the chicken and herring for 83 cents a can! Are those two ok? Those are grain free, correct? I'm so estatic now! I will buy a few cans to see if they like it first.
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess15 View Post
Thank you so much! I found a place that is not even 10 mins from me that carries the Turkey and salmon 3oz or the chicken and herring for 83 cents a can! Are those two ok? Those are grain free, correct? I'm so estatic now! I will buy a few cans to see if they like it first.
Those 2 are grain free. And that's a pretty good price too.
post #19 of 20
I thought the price was good also. I couldn't believe there was one close by. Now to see if they will like it...
post #20 of 20
they might be available through petfooddirect.com which seems to be a less expensive way to get stuff, if you max the shipping weight on the lower prices... it worked well for ordering some dry foods and I think it cost me like $6 for shipping and I got four bags (small ones).. ultimately it saved me money though, because I got those four bags at a lower rate and got as much as I could before the shipping rate went up to the next level so it ended up costing less from there then it would from a store @ $2-$3 more a bag.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Nutrition
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › No-Grain food worked a miracle!