What do I do with the stray boxer?

fraggles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
From an older thread of mine I mentioned that one of my furbabies got outside by accident and was almost attacked by a stray boxer. If it weren't for the bravery of my Grace and Shadow, goodness only knows what would have happened to Capt. Spectacular.

I went to go talk to the boxer's owner. This man genuinely sends out bad vibes. I remember when he first moved in he had three boxers. When I went the other two weren't there. In fact, there were no signs of any dogs living on his property at all.

I explained to him what happened and said that there's a possibility his dog might be hurt due to the fight. Grace came out with a few scratches, and her bullet wound was not aggravated. What'd he say? He told me flat out he didn't want the dog, and he told me plain as day to "just shoot it if it's bothering you".

Dumbstruck, I thanked him for his time and left. I told my uncle what happened and he just shook his head. It is common for people around here to just shoot their dogs when they become ill or a burden, but it really breaks my heart. They don't know any better, or just simply don't care.

I can't take this boxer in. I have not been around him to know his temperament, and based on past experiences with him, I do not feel comfortable bringing him into a vehicle. I've called places in San Antonio and Floresville, but no one will come to our area to pick him up. We live too far out. The only people who were willing to come out would put him down in two days.

I should have known this was the answer I was going to get. I've been through this before when we found a stray chowchow with a collar, literally, digging into his neck. It was a horrid sight, and he was impossible to catch. Eventually the neighbors in front of us ended up catching him and as far as I know, he's staying with them.

I was thinking now to look online to see if there were any local boxer rescue places who would be willing to come out to get him.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
if you get onto a yahoo rescue group or something similar, you might be able to find people willing to help. It is a group that anyone anywhere can join so a lot more people all over the place will see the post and be sure to mention details and the story of the dog and someone might be willing to help. There are also people who set up transport to get the dog to a rescue or safe foster home or something. I will ask on the one that I am on, it is for cats but someone might know of a boxer rescue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fraggles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found a boxer rescue site not too long ago. I'm going to give them a call first thing in the morning. I'm crossing my fingers they'll come out and get him.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a huge longshot, but my ex-significant-other (and permanent best friend) has a sister who lives in College Station, and she adores dogs... maybe she would know someone there or in Austin (where the rest of the family lives) who would have a place for this poor boxer. I'll pass your post along and PM you if she can help, okay?

I'm so sorry for the shock you must have felt when your neighbor said that! People like that... I just can't imagine how they live with themselves.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fraggles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

This is a huge longshot, but my ex-significant-other (and permanent best friend) has a sister who lives in College Station, and she adores dogs... maybe she would know someone there or in Austin (where the rest of the family lives) who would have a place for this poor boxer. I'll pass your post along and PM you if she can help, okay?

I'm so sorry for the shock you must have felt when your neighbor said that! People like that... I just can't imagine how they live with themselves.
Oops, I should probably change that to Floresville. I am temporarily back at home for a couple of months before I move back to College Station. I'm about four hours away from the university. But the gesture is very much appreciated!

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can put a word up on my Boxer forum (run by an ohio rescue, but international site)