Stuck upside-down on roller coaster for 30 minutes!

bakearama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I heard about that on the news this morning. That must have been terrifying. On the plus side I now have an excuse for my fear of roller coasters that flip.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Oscarsmommy

Can you imagine?

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles...00010000000001

I am trying to get Trav over his fear of roller coasters and go to Cedar Point with me this year......this is NOT helping
Yikes! I thought I was brave taking the ski lift to the top of Whistler last week, what with my vertigo. I think I would have also been "out" for the entire 30 minutes.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know - I probably wouldn't mind. I would talk the park into giving me free passes for life as compensation...well worth the hanging upside down.

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Come on - you go on the coaster in the 1st place for a thrill. How much more thrilling can you get!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly I think a fear of roller coasters is natural and healthy, as the story has proven.

I have a horrible fear of heights but finally decided to be brave and ride a roller coaster a few years ago. And what did I get for my trouble? I nearly fell out of the dang thing! For some reason the restraint bar didn't (or wasn't) locked tight enough and I slide over halfway out.
My legs were bruised up and my neck hurt because I have to brace and cling on during loops. First and last time I've ever and will ever ride one.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep! I can imagine. Actually, I can relate!

We have a local fair here which is quite large and has lots of different rides.

One of the rides was (or maybe it's still there) like a roller coaster only it was a complete circle. The car you sat in moved back and forth along the track at the bottom of the ride gradually picking up momentum until it gained enough momentum to spin around the circle. It was all controlled by machines and not gravity.

The one and only time I was on it the ride stopped upside down at the top of the circle and there we were hanging upside down. One of the mechinisms jammed or something. Stuff from people's pockets were falling out to the ground. I was freaking out and in hysterics because I don't like heights at the best of times, and hanging upside down that high off the ground with only a bar/belt holding me in did nothing to quell that phobia. I can't honestly say how long we were stuck like that, but I do know it seemed like hours.

Another time at the same fair (different year), they had a pirate ship ride. I think there were 3 people per seat and the seats were situated in such a way that each 1/2 of the ship faced the centre of it. The ship would swing back and forth getting higher and higher until you were nearly upside down.

It was one of my favourite rides! One day when I was there my cousin and I went on it and when the ship got really high and was on it's way back down again the bar that was holding me in opened and gravity pulled me out of the seat. I ended up doing a gymnastic-like stunt where I was holding onto the bar and my body went up and over and I ended up on my back laying across the seats in front of us! It's a good thing I was holding on to the bar otherwise I would have ended up flying out of the ride and thrown who knows where. I'm surprised I didn't break my back! I'm also grateful that the ride wasn't that busy otherwise people in front of my would have been really hurt from me landing on them too.

Some of those rides are thrilling, but there is a real danger to them. The only rides I go on these days are bumper cars and merry go rounds, lol

karicassie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The first and last time I went on a roller coaster is when I was 9, my mom took my sister and I to Disney World and the coaster we went on was bigger that ones at the county fair but not as big as the big ones, I got stuck in the last car and it was the kind that just had the bars you hang on to, no shoulder or lap belts, I was little so everytime we went down I came out of the seat, it also did'nt help that some teenage boys in the car in front of me said "we know a kid who fell out of a roller coaster once" Like I really needed to hear that at that time.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by adymarie

You know - I probably wouldn't mind. I would talk the park into giving me free passes for life as compensation...well worth the hanging upside down.
I'm with you! Let's go rig one!!

I know it would be a terrible experience for most people, but the good news is, it doesn't happen that often! I do hope those people are fairly compensated, and that it doesn't traumatize them!

paws90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OMG! I am so afraid of hights I think i would of S**t my pants!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had heard about that and had hoped it wasn't at Cedar Point, I know they've been having issues with the Twister ride. I love roller costers too, I'm with Ady, I would have put up with that for 30 mins to get free passes for life!!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I had heard about that and had hoped it wasn't at Cedar Point, I know they've been having issues with the Twister ride. I love roller costers too, I'm with Ady, I would have put up with that for 30 mins to get free passes for life!!
Cedar Point is very thorough with their daily inspection, so I don't think it would happen there! Now I wanna ride a coaster!!! This is the 1st summer I haven't been preggers or just given birth in 4 years. I really miss Coasters!

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't mind being stuck on one at the top of a hill (ok it would be scary but not too bad) but I would hate being stuck upside down!!! That is not good for you because your blood rushes to your head!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At 6 Flags over GA they havea ride called acrophobia that I refuse to get on. Sometimes it gets stuck at the top.(actually I think it has happened everytime I have got to the park recently!) It just drops you over and over. I would be crying if I was stuck that high!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenny82

I wouldn't mind being stuck on one at the top of a hill (ok it would be scary but not too bad) but I would hate being stuck upside down!!! That is not good for you because your blood rushes to your head!
I've been stuck on top of a hill a few times. Just hopefully you are sunscreened up so you don't burn. And at the top of the hill you usually have a good view of the park.