Do you think this will be a good match? Need advice!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I rescued a kitty 2 weeks ago who got caught up in my feral traps. I kept him at my house for a bit under a week, then found a "foster" home for him while I had a friend staying with me, with the view for that to maybe be his permanent home.

Leo was very shy, and hid under our spare bed most of the time he was here, but was a lovebug and loved headrubs and belly rubs, and was very snuggly. So his new meowmy said he's now the same with her - the first few days at her place he was unsettled, and would hiss at her, but purr as soon as she soon patted him. He's still confined to a spare room and has supervised visits into the rest of the house because of her current cat Roxie.

She's had Roxie for 2 months, and Roxie is about 2 years old - she adopted her from a shelter. She thought Roxie might be territorial, so did the bedding swapping, ran Feliway diffusers, and after about 4 days, let them sniff each other. Leo met our girls and was very submissive. He tried to rub against Stumpy, and rolled over in front of her, and was generally very sweet. Apparently he did the same for Roxie - no growling or hissing, just very submissive.

Roxie is hissing at Leo when he gets too close, which isn't too worrying - it's still fairly early days, but Roxie is attacking her meowmy. Apparently she has claw marks all up and down her arms. She said Roxie has never exactly been a "loving" cat since she had her, and won't sit on laps, and doesn't like being picked up, but does like a pat. She's really seeing a mean streak in her now but it's not directed at Leo, it's directed at her meowmy - and it's worse when she's just been patting Leo and has Leo's smell on her.

She's completely fallen in love with Leo who is getting more and more brave and has already made huge improvements, and snuggles up into her arms when she picks him up, and I think is the snuggler she's looking for. No matter how much she loves him though, she won't adopt him if her current cat is going to be this angry toward her.

She's still keeping the cats separated during the day, but isn't sure how long to give Roxie or what else she can do.

Anyone got suggestions? If Roxie isn't showing too much aggression toward Leo (she just hissed when Leo was lying in HER favourite sleep spot), but IS showing aggression toward her meowmy, is that a "good" sign? Do you think that will settle down? Or does it mean she really can't cope with change and would prefer to be an only cat?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try some cornstarch baby powder on all the cats so they smell the same or try vanilla extract on the nose/butt.

Hope it helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Try some cornstarch baby powder on all the cats so they smell the same or try vanilla extract on the nose/butt.

Hope it helps.
They already get vanilla'd before she lets Leo out of the room. It's not so much the hissing at Leo, it's the attacking her meowmy which is worrying her the most!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what to suggest. I would hope that she gives them a little extra time to adjust. Hopefully in the long run Roxie will realize that he meowmy still loves her and not only will she continue to get her attention, but Leo will adore her as well. I really hope that this works out for Leo, Roxie and your friend!

feral65

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
"I rescued a kitty 2 weeks ago who got caught up in my feral traps"

What "feral trap"??? What do you mean you "rescued" the kitty??? why?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by feral65

"I rescued a kitty 2 weeks ago who got caught up in my feral traps"

What "feral trap"??? What do you mean you "rescued" the kitty??? why?
A stray, previously owned kitty who got caught in my feral traps
I run a feral cat TNR program, and the last trap I set out caught this sweet, ginger boy. As soon as I got to the trap I heard "mew mew mew", and knew straight away he wasn't feral. In this area, I believe people often dump cats they don't want anymore. I took him into the vet still to get neutered, and checked for a microchip, and he had no microchip but had been previously neutered. So they just vaccinated him, checked the records for lost ginger cats in the area, and I went about finding him a new home rather than releasing a nice cat back into the feral colony.

He's shy, but an absolute lovebug, and he's very skinny, but with continued love and attention (and regular food...) he'll be a big healthy boy in no time.

I got an email from the girl, and she'd spoken to her cats previous owner, and he said that when he introduced Roxie to a new kitty, there was definitely an adjustment period, and Roxie did not like the newcomer, but after a period of time, she learnt to accept the newcomer, and even was occasionally caught snuggling up with him and playing with him. So she's definitely been with other cats before and it went well, it just took some time.

So she's more comfortable now that Roxie will settle down, and hopefully Roxie will sense that confidence

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like maybe with the new boy around being so submissive, the girl kitty has turned her territorial aggression on meowmy? Like she's just trying to get the universe back in order

I just know that Bella will sometimes show territorial aggression toward me when she thinks I'm going to remove her from a chair, or a counter, or the top of the kitty tree.

Usually it's just passing the buck because Stan has done something she didn't like and then scampered away...if she gets too bad (bitey) I'll give her a quick hiss and walk away. She'll come back to me all blinky and contrite a few minutes later...silly girl. She does have some tortie in her

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's an idea - I might suggest to her to try hissing at Roxie if she gets aggressive, so Roxie remembers that biting/scratching her meowmy is NOT appropriate behaviour!

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
[QUOTEShe's completely fallen in love with Leo who is getting more and more brave and has already made huge improvements, and snuggles up into her arms when she picks him up, and I think is the snuggler she's looking for. No matter ][/quote]

Is she doing this in front of Roxie, or where Roxie can hear her? She needs to be overly demonstrative to Roxie in front of Leo, and not be dmonstrative to Leo in front of Roxie. Once everyonw is calmed down, she can love them both. Roxie feels threatened, and needs to be reassured over, and over agan.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think she's been giving most love to Leo in the spare room which has been *his* hang out.

I just spoke to her a little earlier, and she said Roxie's settling down a little more, and hasn't been as aggressive towards her in the last 24 hours which is good. As well as that she let Leo wander the house last night and today, and Leo jumped on the couch with her last night for a snuggle session!! This is the boy who was too scared to come out from under the bed previously
And Leo is starting to stand his ground a bit more when Roxie hisses at him, and is just watching her or ignoring her rather than being completely submissive, or running away, and as a result, Roxie is hissing less

It sounds as though he's found his furrrever home

feral65

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
sara, i'm glad to hear all is going well. i am familiar with the "TNR" program and was just wondering how many feral cats have you caught and released? where did you release them?

lotso'cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lauren did that with me everytime I brought in a new "friend" for her...lol She got over it.
I wouldn't worry too much. I would tell your friend to make sure she gives alot of attention to the older cat to make sure she knows she's still loved.

Originally Posted by sarahp

They already get vanilla'd before she lets Leo out of the room. It's not so much the hissing at Leo, it's the attacking her meowmy which is worrying her the most!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by feral65

sara, i'm glad to hear all is going well. i am familiar with the "TNR" program and was just wondering how many feral cats have you caught and released? where did you release them?
We've trapped about 8 now, and there's been just 2 we haven't released - one was a big tom cat with FIV who was in a bad way and got euthanised, and this boy Leo who I've rehomed. And the rest were released were they were caught.

Don't worry, I do know how to do TNR

feral65

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

We've trapped about 8 now, and there's been just 2 we haven't released - one was a big tom cat with FIV who was in a bad way and got euthanised, and this boy Leo who I've rehomed. And the rest were released were they were caught.

Don't worry, I do know how to do TNR
I'm not worried since I'm really happy to read that you care enough too to try to do something. I can't take any more cats in, but it's really hard not to. Right now I already have a new kitten (probably 4-6 months old) lurking around my house. The kitten is feral. It's such a sad situation. I will try to catch the cat (I'm pretty good at it!), but this will be the first one I simply won't be able to keep. I'll have the cat "fixed", and have to let it go after. Otherwise I know that catching the cat and turning it over to a shellter will almost certainly result it the cat being euthanized. I won't do that and "TNR" is at least an option/chance for them..