Need Immediate Help, Please.

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello Everyone...

It is me, Toomany. Haven't been back here for over a month b/c of all the "cat"astropic things going on in my life.

If anyone remembers, I have the 16 cats I rescued from Hurricane Andrew in 1992 and most of them still alive.

I am on a fixed budget and these kitties are staying alive forever...

My big problem now is that my oldest, Pub, has very bad diarreah (spelling?)
I cannot take him to the vet for two weeks b/c I have to wait for my social security check.

I have not changed foods and none of the other cats seem to have it....he has started doing it in the sink and on the furniture and will not use the litter box.

I want to try something here at home before I take him to the vet....I just don't have the money.

I read that cottage cheese and/or yougart is good for this.

I also read that you can no longer give kitties Kayopetic (spelling).

Does anyone have any home remedies that I could try at least for now?

These cats are really getting me down now that they are getting older....not to mention the horrible flea problem I am having now....and can't afford to put them all on Advantage or anything else.

Please don't think I don't care about them....but all of a sudden, they are giving me so heartaches, etc.....and, to tell you the truth, I feel like I am being punished for taking them all in. I couldn't help it....after the hurricane, and never expected them all to live this long.....just really getting depressed and worried.

Thanks....for anyone who can suggest anything. I KNOW the food is not the problem....they are all on the same thing for quite a while.

Thanks again.

Toomany (Debbie)

bakearama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't mean this in an offensive way so please don't take it like that. The cats need to have medical care and proper treatment. I understand how much you love them but you might want to think about finding a new home for some of them. If you can't afford to pay for the treatment of your cats you need to find someone who can. I hope you can find a solution and the cats are happy and healthy soon.

mcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try canned pumpkin, not pie filling, sometimes that helps diarrhea. I hope you can get a vet to look at him soon. That would be best.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, and I am sorry. I DID take offense to this. All of my cats are over 10 years old and Pub is 17. You can't even get people to adopt kittens, much less cats as old as I have.

I know you didn't mean to sound curt....but you did....and, as I said....I never expected all these cats to live over 10 or 15.

When I wrote, I was asking for advice on home remedies until I could get to the vet. I didn't expect a reply as you sent.

At any rate....I won't be coming back to the Forum if people are going to throw guilt in my face for rescuing cats that have lived so long....and, I also got older in the 13 years I have had them...

Never mind....I won't bother anyone here anymore...you all have more important things to think about, especially younger cats.

Bye

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yoghurt (I find that bio yoghurt works best)l and bland foods tend to help with runny stools. If you have any chicken or white fish, and Pub will eat it, poach it up for him. You can also add some rice with the shredded fish or chicken and pour a small amount of the tepid broth on top (this way you can help encourage liquid intake.

Keep an eye on hydration and if need be, try to syringe some of the broth into Pub, you want to ensure that he doesn't get dehydrated.

It might be worth giving your vet a call and see if there is anything further that they can suggest or offer until you are able to make the visit. It can't hurt to ask.

Please do let us know how you both get on

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
16 cats is a lot to look after, and if you can't afford vet care when they're sick, maybe trying to rehome a couple isn't a bad idea? It sounds as though you've done an amazing job in their time of need, but now it's getting you very down, and you don't want to send yourself broke because of a good deed you did. If they're all older, yes it is very hard, but you should never feel as though you're being punished for doing such a wonderful thing!

There is always good advice here, so please do hang around.

Like was said before, canned pumpkin can help a lot - mix some in with his food and see how that goes. You can also try boiled chicken - it's nice and bland and can help "bind" things together.

This webpage may help also - http://home.howstuffworks.com/how-to...s-diarrhea.htm

If all that fails, and he starts going downhill, maybe you can talk to your vet and see if you can go on a payment plan, or if there's any options for you so you can take him in until you receive your social security check?

Oh and for the fleas - you can get Advantage for large dogs, and a syringe. At our local shelter, they have the cheapest supply around - $35 for the large dog stuff, and it comes with 4 x 4ml tubes. A cat needs 0.4ml (4cc), so one tube of the large dog Advantage will do 10 cats! All you need to do is squirt the Advantage into a plastic cup or something like that, draw out .4ml and squirt it in the back of your kitties necks.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a few slices of American cheese to help with diarraha. If it doesn't clear up in a day or two after giving cheese, then I take to the vet - so far its worked for me.

Hope your kitty is better soon.

jenny1124

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know much about senior cats as my only cat is less than a year old.

I just wanted to post and say that I hope you find something that works for your baby. I feel bad for you and kitty.

I know this isn't anything you can't do, but I Googled the problem you are having and it suggested these things:

- diarrhea will make kitty dehydrated, so be sure he drinks a lot
- If you visit your veterinarian, bring along a cup full of stool
- "It can be caused by allergies, milk, worms, spoiled food, or plants. There are also more serious causes such as tumors, viral infections, and diseases of the liver, pancreas, and kidney. It is important to seek professional help if your cat's diarrhea includes blood or your cat experiences severe depression or abdominal pain."
- If blood appears or if diarrhea continues for more than 24 hours, contact the veterinarian
- some vets have payment plans you can take advantage of

This is where I found that information:

http://www.2ndchance.info/diarrhea.htm

http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/diarrhea.html < that one is excellent too and has pictures, which are gross, but might help

I hope that helps a bit
From what I read it is very important that he see a vet soon, or perhaps you could just call and explain the situation very honestly telling them you can't afford to come by, maybe he will make a payment plan available for you. Good luck and I hope kitty feels better soon!

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you Sarahp

I appreciate your help. And, for everyone else.....the first thing I did was call the vet and he was the one who told me to try cottage cheese. Since Pub is so old, he is probably shutting down and I can't do much for him but to keep him comfortable.

I have been taking care of stray cats for 20 years....and I pretty much know what the consequences are. The first thing I did was to watch him and make sure he was drinking....and he is.

So, as I said, thank you everyone for your advice. He is scheduled to go to the vet on Friday when I receive my SS check and I certainly would take him in IMMEDIATELY if I thought he was in pain.

I know this site is a good site and they helped me through a cat going blind, who is doing quite well now (12 years old) and they helped me through a cat who was diagnosed with diabetes and a second opinon proved that wrong and finding a really good vet.

However, I am looking around for a multiple cat site, so that I don't get replies from younger people who only have one cat, telling me I should not have so many cats if I can't take care of them.

And, oh yes, when God was good enough to find a landlord for me who allowed these cats in a rented house, I was sooooo grateful. I was afraid I was going to have to put most of them down, because I spent 3 months trying to get foster homes or adopted homes for them. People do NOT want old, sick cats.

So...had to let it all out....and I know I cannot say anymore because this is a wonderful site with very experienced and wonderful people...but, I have been on sites before that have given advice withou thinking first, or without really having the knowledge.....and it made me angry....so....no anger from this....just hurt and disappointment. No flaming.....just, please, think before you write, as people can already be down.

Thanks to all of you who honestly tried to help and put themselves in my shoes.

Toomany

jenny1124

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope Pub pulls through this. I didn't know you had so much experience already

You've done a wonderful thing trying to take care of so many kitties!

Sending some {{{{vibes}}}} for you and your fur family

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Once again, thank you Sarahap....I printed out your reply re: Advantage for dogs and minimizing it for cats. I never thought about that....although I have done the same with amoxillian, very carefully, and it has gotten me through many episodes of UTI....

Thanks again....I am pricing it on 1800PetMeds now.

Thanks so very much.....I needed to feel better today. You are a genius!!!

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Jenny...and...also...thank you for taking the time to google....and I will check all those sites. That was very sweet of you....I am all googled out!

Toomany!!!

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you Sar (Sara).....I really appreciate your advice.

Also, I recognized your logo from all the help you give me regarding P.J., who I thought had diabetes (second vet opinion proved WRONG) and also I believe you were there for me with Caboose....the one who went blind on me.

Appreciation always!!!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just wanted to say that I'm glad you stayed and got some good advice from these lovely ladies.

We (moderators) try to get the point across to newer members that our biggest aim is to help people learn about their cats, help them with suggestions regarding care until they can see their vet. We don't want folks to come here for help and end up leaving because they were offended. That's not helping anyone. We are not vets and cannot diagnose but there is certainly enough experience here that we can try to help until you can get to the vet.

We also try to caution folks to really read the post before replying and hitting that send button so there is less chance of misinterpretation.

I'm hoping your kitty is feeling better soon.

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wonder if the diarhea is caused by worms. It is part of the lifecycle of fleas. For a cheap flea remedy, you could also give them baths in warm water with dawn dish soap and a flea comb. It might provide some relief until you can get them to a vet.
I have a 5 cat household and only one has any issues, but that's so expensive that I can't imagine what 16 with lots of issues is like. Poor things and poor you too.
It must be heartbreaking!! All any of us can do is the best we can and make the best choices we can think of for our pets. I took in a senior kitty (probably 10 or so when I got him) because his owner was going to have to take him to the shelter and we know what happens at a kill shelter to older, less cute, less adoptable pets.

He's been such a great companion, I can't imagine not having him in my home.
It makes me so angry and sad when I hear about another litter of kittens and people getting a new kitten. If kittens weren't in such abundance, people might actually adopt some of these older boys and girls.
Sorry.. rant over.

Best of luck to you and your many furbabies.

Dev

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Toomany,
I don't have any advice for you. I just wanted to say God Bless You for taking in so many defensless cats!

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much Dev. I had also gone online for fleas, and many people recommended the Dawn dish detergent....However....me giving my cats a bath!!!! Ha Ha......I WANT TO LIVE!!! But....I was thinking....maybe put it in a spray bottle after mixed with water? What do you think?

Yes, I am sure that fleas have something to do with it, but it is only the one cat....I have, in the past 20 years taking care of strays, had to cope with the tape worms that come from fleas. They do not harm or kill the cats...in other words, not entirely dangerous...but I always treat them.....

Hey...I'm 62 years old......was so much younger when I started these rescues....but stopped years ago......don't these poor little babies know where kitty heaven is?

Thanks again for your advice....

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was going to say the same thing about worms.

We brought Elliott inside in November...he was an 18 month old stray that showed up in the neighborhood when he was about 2 months old.
Any way he had the runs something awful, and he also had fleas and most of the time fleas mean a tapeworm.
Once we got rid of the fleas and the tapeworm the runs were gone.

Bless you for taking in these cats in the first place and for doing the very best you can to take care of them now.

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
P.S. In my reply when I said it was "only the one cat".....I meant only one cat with the "runs"....of course they all have fleas.....my little bichon dog brings them in from outside and he is constanlty being dipped, etc.

Thanks again....