Deworming meds....how to give?

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So....the one smaller female cat has a worm of some type and the humane society is going to give more meds to BOTH cats for no charge. They told me I could bring them in and they could do it, or I could do it....it is given orally.

But I am just wondering how how hard this is to give orally! Is there a lot of it they need to take?? What if some dribble out? Is that bad or ok as long as they get the majority of it?

I would totally let them do it if I didn't have TWO cats to haul along with two kids under 3....so before I do anything, I thought I would consult here!

Thanks

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It depends .. are they using pills??? then it is not hard hide it in a treat
... liquid has to get in the mouth usually the side

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try Pill Pockets (sometimes we press a piece of dry kibble or a treat to both sides to turn it into a pill-treat-sandwich).

If that doesn't work, ask your vet to show you how to do it.
Here's a link that describes it (you don't have to register to view it, just close the pop-up):
http://www.petplace.com/cats/how-to-...ill/page1.aspx

Might want to invest in a pill plunger syringe if you feel iffy about sticking your fingers in the cat's mouth.

P.S. Or try liquid Rx w/ flavors -- the banana worked, but the cherry was a disaster
! He spit it up and it stained the sheets & he wound up with a pink moustache & chin
(temporarily)!

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by whiskerynature

Try
P.S. Or try liquid Rx w/ flavors -- the banana worked, but the cherry was a disaster
! He spit it up and it stained the sheets & he wound up with a pink moustache & chin
(temporarily)!
I'm also a big fan of pill pockets.
A big pill can be split and fed in multiple treats, too.

A little OT, but banana? cherry? Hmm. I tried chicken flavor and that didn't pass...I didn't consider the fruity ones.

cntrygrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
pill gun.....$5.00 at the vet's office. wrap up the kitty in a blanket/towel so feet are secure, just leave the head sticking out and "shoot" the pill in. we just had to pill two cats folr worms and it was a breeze compared to trying it without the "gun."

cntryblessings

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends how 'handleable' your cats are (to use my vet's expression!). I wormed both of mine today with some Drontal from the vet, and found it really easy because both my boys are big softies - just approach them when they are sitting down, hold them still with the head slightly back, open the mouth by slipping your thumb in the side of their mouth behind the canine teeth, and pop the pill on the back of their tongue. Then gently rub the throat to encourage them to swallow and give a treat straight after so that if they have held the pill in their mouth they will swallow it when eating the treat.

My boys are both quite good about this sort of thing, but I did both of them by myself with no need for help or a towel - obviously if your cats are more difficult or more feral than mine then a towel may be needed, but if they are normally friendly don't work yourself up thinking this is a big thing that's going to be a struggle - I had both of mine pilled within 2 minutes.

mubin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I just adopted a cat that was a stray for a couple of years.

The vet advised us to deworm him.

We just got it neutered and got the deworming tablet from the vet to give to him tomorrow.

We were told to give him the tablet as per epona epona 's method described above. My question is, is it possible to crush it and mixed it with his food?

An experienced volunteer with our local cat society told me that we cannot mix it with his food. Is it because crushing the tablet up will render it ineffective or just that most cats will not want to eat the "spiked" food?

Thank you!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most worming meds are designed to be given and work more effectively on an empty stomach. But they can also be given with a very small amount of food or treat because they won't work at all if not given! What I did was to break the tab in half and then for one cat surrounded it with a piece of Cat Pill Pocket to disguise it and hid it in a very small amount of tuna, he gobbled it right up. The others I take the half pill, cement it to a piece of bacon and they take it willingly.  Pill falls out? 'Cement' it to a bigger piece of bacon, or to a treat. Then there is Casper. No amount of holding, wrapping in a towel, or trying to get him to take a treat works, so he gets Profender, a wormer that I buy at PetMeds and apply high up to the skin on the back of his neck.  This was after so many times of shredded skin, hiding under the bed, and angry yowling, and that was me!   

mubin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the tip di and bob di and bob !

Turns out that my cat Sumo will eat just about anything. We put out some dry biscuits for him and dropped the tablet in between the biscuits and he gobbled everything up!

lbrto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! My question is how long should you wait after giving the dewormer before you feed them cats? Thanks! :-)