Moths

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How do get rid of them...well other than moth balls?

This year we seem to have them all over the house and while they've been great entertainment for the cats, especially Luna, I'm really concerned about them laying eggs and ruining our rugs/towels/clothes.

Personally I'm ready to fumigate the house. The spiders rule the basement and the garage, the moths have takened over the kitchen and bathroom (they're out of the bedroom thanks to all the moth balls). Once it gets warmer I'm concerned as to what other little critters will appear.

I'm almost thinking about scaring the cats by driving them 30 minutes to my parents house for the day and just fumigating the whole place.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

How do get rid of them...
I can lend you Rosie and Sophie?

Weve been getting the odd tiny ones with having the windows slightly open, but they don't last long once a little furry paw slams it to the floor, especially Rosie because she's rough when she catches things like that

kuntrykitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We get Millers and it is a NIGHTMARE out here. I mean, there are MILLIONS, literally MILLIONS of them. If we don't clean out the bunkhouse, they will be layered on the floor 6 inches deep and that is no exaggeration! We haven't ever tried anything but mothballs. But it's impossible to eliminate all of ours so we don't really try. They keep Zoe entertained however!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

I can lend you Rosie and Sophie?

Weve been getting the odd tiny ones with having the windows slightly open, but they don't last long once a little furry paw slams it to the floor, especially Rosie because she's rough when she catches things like that
Wow that's better then Luna, Whitey, and Beauty!! Beauty just stars at the moth while it flies around, Luna and Whitey try to catch it and when they do, they just play with it...allowing it to go free again

Originally Posted by KuntryKitty

We get Millers and it is a NIGHTMARE out here. I mean, there are MILLIONS, literally MILLIONS of them. If we don't clean out the bunkhouse, they will be layered on the floor 6 inches deep and that is no exaggeration! We haven't ever tried anything but mothballs. But it's impossible to eliminate all of ours so we don't really try. They keep Zoe entertained however!
I would go crazy. I'm not a bug person [obviously]

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they are meal moths you can get traps for them at pet or feed stores.

You can combat reinfestation by freezing any grains, cereals, dry petfoods etc for 24 hours then store them in air tight containers.

When I was doing bird rescue this was my ongoing war.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mothballs are toxic, including to people. So I've never used them.

If you know the type of moths, you can buy moth traps for them. These are a sticky trap that's covered in a moth pheromone to attract the male moths, this way they die instead of breeding.