Missing Pregnant Cat

notme1295

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know how but somehow Delphine has vanished. She is an indoor cat now but she was originally outdoors when we found her. She's pregnant. I've searched my house high and low. Either she got out somehow (my sister swears she did not accidentally let her out) or she's found somewhere to really really hide (which means she probably had the kittens).

What puzzles me is that she isn't coming out to eat at all. Usually she is acting like she's starving. Do they not eat for awhile after they have kittens? Do they just stay with the kittens 24/7? I don't seem to remember the last pregnant cat I had staying with them all the time. She still ate and used the litter box, etc.

This is really worrying me. I don't know whether to keep looking in the house when there is simply no sign of her.

She was last seen early this afternoon, and a couple hours after that nobody was home for a few hours. So either she got out sometime this afternoon before we left, or she had the kittens when we were gone. I'm kind of panicking...

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by notme1295

I don't know how but somehow Delphine has vanished. She is an indoor cat now but she was originally outdoors when we found her. She's pregnant. I've searched my house high and low. Either she got out somehow (my sister swears she did not accidentally let her out) or she's found somewhere to really really hide (which means she probably had the kittens).

What puzzles me is that she isn't coming out to eat at all. Usually she is acting like she's starving. Do they not eat for awhile after they have kittens? Do they just stay with the kittens 24/7? I don't seem to remember the last pregnant cat I had staying with them all the time. She still ate and used the litter box, etc.

This is really worrying me. I don't know whether to keep looking in the house when there is simply no sign of her.

She was last seen early this afternoon, and a couple hours after that nobody was home for a few hours. So either she got out sometime this afternoon before we left, or she had the kittens when we were gone. I'm kind of panicking...
They eat the placentas during delivery, so she might not be real hungry for a while. Also, like humans, they do a bowel movement before, so she might not need the litter box for a bit. BUT she does need to drink. If you can get REALLY REALLY quiet, I would just walk around the house and listen. You might be able to hear the kittens. Also if you can make it really dark, you can use a flashlight and try to see your cat's eyes. I REALLY hope you find her.
Hugs!

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it were me I would be sure to leave all your inside doors open, including linen closets cupboards, and anywhere she may have burrowed. Not knowing where she is, you may inadvertently shut her in somewhere. :-(

And I do think you should keep looking in the house because she is probably in a really good hiding spot, burrowed way back behind stuff. She could even be in the back of a drawer, or in a cooler, or some really strange place. I bet she had a spot scoped out for a while now.

One of my cats is very shy and she has hiding spots that we have not found for ages. It is amazing the places they will go.

You should leave her food out as usual and in the unlikely event she went outside, keep an eye out for her at the door.

I hope it all works out.

hrmom26

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi
all my cats have had a certain sound that brings them running either a can opener or shaking the treats something like that if your cat does that try that inside and outside to get her attention. i had the same problem with my older cat i got her when she was already pregnant and when she had them it took me a while to find her. i still wish i had found her sooner because she had them down cellar on an old antique chair one of the kittens had rolled off the chair inside the chair itself and died before i could find her. good luck hope you find her soon.

angi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In the process of moving from So. CA to So. WI!!
I used to have a few outdoor cats (pregnant) that would dissappear for almost a week sometimes, then they would come back thinner, & we knew they had their kittens. They were always fine, just staying with the newborns for a few days.

I hope that's all your kitty is doing, & that she comes out/back soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

notme1295

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I told my sister I know she let the cat out and that she was grounded till she finds her. 20 minutes later, she found Delphine outside under our porch. So-- all it took was a little motivation :-)

I haven't had indoor outdoor cats in my adult life (had some as a kid but that stopped when I was 15 and two cats in one year were hit & killed by cars). I worry that she might go back to wherever she came from (where she was obviously not taken care of). I wonder how cats "know" where their home is?

Of course she didn't stray far, but I have to wonder if she will always be one that tries to sneak out. The other cats I have were always inside & sheltered and don't try to get out- or when they do, they get about two feet before running back in.

I'm just relieved to have found her. Still pregnant, hungry. I gave her some kitten food as soon as she came in

jenniferl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so glad you found her and that she's still pregnant. I'm sure that's a huge relief!