Cat Toys

mygirlmidnight

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am trying to figure out what to get Midnight for some toys. I need to be careful because I don't want them to be small enough that Tal would swallow one! So what toys do you find your cats like?

I got her one yesterday at PetCo but she doesnt seem to be too interested in it. I also went ahead and got her a larger crate that will be alot more comfortable for her especially on the trip.

Plus her cat tree should be here later this week. I sure hope she takes a liking to it...it has Siscal (sp?) rope for scratching and is 65" tall.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mygirlmidnight

I am trying to figure out what to get Midnight for some toys. I need to be careful because I don't want them to be small enough that Tal would swallow one! So what toys do you find your cats like?

I got her one yesterday at PetCo but she doesnt seem to be too interested in it. I also went ahead and got her a larger crate that will be alot more comfortable for her especially on the trip.

Plus her cat tree should be here later this week. I sure hope she takes a liking to it...it has Siscal (sp?) rope for scratching and is 65" tall.
I should go take a picture but perhaps I can describe it. It is a round plastic toy about 12 inches across and has a little fake rat inside that goes round and round when kitty tries to catch it. I have two cats and they get on either side and keep the "rat" going round and round and round.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mygirlmidnight

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That sounds like it would be lots of fun. Can you get them at Petco or Petsmart?

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Loki and Possum are so different and itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s difficult to find toys that they will both play with. Neither really seems to like bells; maybe itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s the pitch or tone (Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m not a music person), but they donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t see to mind my wind chimes or the bell on my bedroom door. Loki is positively afraid of bells; I have no idea why. Possum doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t seem to be afraid of them, but heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s wary, and stays away from them. Loki does like toys that rattle, though, and he really likes feathers and string. He also likes balls. Possum doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t play with any of those things. Sometimes he seems a little interested in feathers, but he really doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t seem to know what to do with it. He does like catnip, however. The only toys he plays with are these little plush mice made out of t-shirt material. He really likes those, and so does Loki. Recently I forgot about Possumâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s preferences, and I got some toys. Possum didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t want to play with them, and I felt so bad! I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t like just giving one presents. I also got a wedge-like scratching board that they both like and use.

Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]d just buy a variety of cheap toys at Petsmart or Petco, and see what sticks. Also, remember to rotate the toys every few weeks so the your kitty doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t get bored!

Tricia

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would avoid feathered toys. My girls always eat them before the cats can paly with them. Go for some basic mice, just maybe cotton ones & watch Tal with them at first. I like plastic toys with bells in them as well.

Perhaps go to Wal Mart & buy a multi-pack of toys? Then you can try them out on Midnight....once she decides which she likes....you can get more!

mygirlmidnight

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! Yeah there are some that are automatically off the list because of Tal. Midnight doesn't seem to be interested in any of his toys yet...just his food! lol.

I'll give the variety pack a try. Tal is almost always with me and I watch them pretty close when they play together (such as it is now!)

jujubee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat likes the cheapie from Petco. It is a 'rabbit' or 'mouse' on a pole with a string, there are a couple feathers and a bell. When we are not playing with it i hide it or else she will chew it up. I have bought more expensive toys, she likes the $2.99 toy the best. ( I think she likes the bell)

feral65

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
buy a "laser light toy" rather than a bunch of plastic toys your cat will lose interest in after a very short time. it's a small, pen-like flashlight with a red beam. you can get one for as little as $5. you have to interact (push the button to make the light flash), but you can do it from your couch. it's just a light beam that cats usually go crazy chasing, although one of mine is absolutely terrified of it. :-) that's unusual though and most cats love them...

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats like feathers and real fur toys. I have a Da Bird, which is their favorite. The "dead birds" are given to them for playtime, and the rest of the toy is hidden so they can't destroy the "fresh birds".

They also like ping pong balls and balls that jingle.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
I agree with going for a multipack or a mixture of the cheap ones from petco or petsmart (they're usually in big buckets in the toy isle) I've noticed that cats, like dogs, each prefer a different type of toy... in spoiling my boy, I've spent lots of money on toys just to find out he doesnt like certain kinds.... so once you get an idea with the cheapo's you can concentrate your money on the right types of toys.... I would definitely suggest some type of fishing wand type toy as I've found most cats that have any kind of energy at all like them... Ollie has 3... also toilet paper tubes, milk rings, old one-size-fits-all winter gloves, and other household finds make good toys... just make sure it's nothing that can hurt your animals or that they can swallow

mygirlmidnight

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All great ideas...thanks! I actually already have a laser pointer so I'll give it a try. That would work out great!