bald spot on my cat...?**Pictures**

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used this product on my cat about a week and a half ago...this
product was reccommended by a vet, one who I will not be using again.
These are the only ingredients listed Im sure there are others but I cant
find them...natural active ingredients such as peppermint oil, cinnamon oil, lemon grass oil and thyme oil.

and now he has a bald spot that looks like this

Does anyone know what may have caused this?? He still plays and acts normal, just has a bald spot

also does anyone know if I should put anything on it or just leave it alone?

april31

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow ouchie how does the skin look? Is it red swollen or have any puss? If so I would take it to another vet. If not well not really sure about what to do with it. Is he acting normal I would be a little worried about how safe it is.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I also think a trip to a different vet would be a good idea.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the others...different vet.

A bath may prevent further balding and irritation.

For flea control, I would recommend Frontline, Advantage, or Revolution.

I've never had a good experience with the hartz, sentry, etc...or anything else at the grocery/wal mart.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OMG, Poor Kitty!

Sentry Natural Defense Natural Flea & Tick Squeeze-On kills fleas, ticks and mosquitoes for up to four weeks, yet itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s safe to use on your pets and around your family when applied as directed. Each carton contains three monthly applications that feature natural active ingredients such as peppermint oil, cinnamon oil, lemon grass oil and thyme oil.

Each box contains three 2.0 mL (0.07 fl oz) applicators

PLEASE NOTE: We have had some reports of reactions in cats such as skin irritation and hair loss at the site of application (see reviews below). In addition, the oils in the Sentry Natural Defense Squeeze-On may temporarily discolor white hair or fur. We recommend testing the product initially by applying a few drops in the area intended for application (nape of the neck), and wait 24 hours to evaluate any response before applying the full dose. If you do see an adverse reaction, wash your cat with a shampoo or dishwashing liquid that contains detergents, as this will be the most effective way to remove the oils causing the reaction.

While we understand that this product is not perfect since some cats do have an allergic reaction, we do believe it is far safer than the chemical pesticide based squeeze-on products. The long-term use of systemic chemical pesticides leads to far worse problems than a skin reaction (see The Natural Approach to Flea Control). The number of cats that have a reaction to the Sentry Squeeze-On is small, and for the majority of cats this product is safe and effective. We choose to continue to carry this product because we believe that providing a safer alternative to the chemical pesticide based squeeze-on products is an important service for those cat owners who prefer to use a squeeze-on flea protection program. Please follow our instructions for testing the product first for the safety of your cat.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Active Ingredients:
Peppermint Oil .................. 3.00%
Cinnamon Oil .................... 4.50%
Lemongrass Oil ................. 4.50%
Clove Oil .......................... 5.00%
Thyme Oil ......................... 5.00%
2-Phenethyl Propionate* .... 5.00%

Other Ingredients:
(Vanillin, Isopropyl Myristate) ... 73.00%

* 2-Phenethyl Propionate is a natural botanical extract commonly found in food.

Directions for Use
Do not use on animals under the age of 12 weeks. Do not get this product in your pet's eyes or mouth. Do not bathe pet within the first 24 hours after squeeze-on has been applied. Households with more than one pet should not allow pets to groom each other until solution has dried. Pets may be treated indoors or outdoors. Safe to repeat application as often as needed. Apply contents of one tube as a spot or stripe, starting high on the back of your pet's neck to in front of the shoulder blades. In order to help reduce the occurrence of fleas and ticks, this product is best if used year around.

Just because it's being sold out there, does not mean it's safe. There are lots of liers out there, be wary. IT IS DANGEROUS AND LETHAL TO PUT ANY HERB/ESSENTIAL OILS ON CATS. Some oils are safe for dogs, tho. Cats are WAY different and VERY sensitive.

I bought a 50 cent spray bottle at WM, filled it with apple cider vinegar, total cost under $3.00. The cats get sprayed on their fur only, not the skin and they don't have fleas. About once a week they get sprayed. The fleas hate the vinegar smell and BEST of all the FLEAS will never become IMMUNE to vinegar!!

I live in FLEA country, I have had tons of fleas, NOT ANYMORE!!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness poor baby! I can't believe that product does something like that and they still sell it. I really hate companies that put your animals in danger just to earn a buck. I don't think there is anything you can do to help him out, I would definitely wash the back of his neck with dish soap just in case there is any still on there. Poor poor baby! I hope it didn't burn him

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Being a pet sitter I get to see lots of pets. Lots and lots now that it's summer! This actually happens from time to time with all kinds of flea tick applications. I wouldn't necessarily assume that there's something wrong with this particular brand. Rather, it's often (as a friend who's a vet tech tells me) a reaction between cat and formula. From what my friend tells me there's usually nothing to worry about. It just causes the hair to come out. For your cat though, I certainly wouldn't use this brand again! There may be another type that works better for him and his personal body chemistry.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that it's probably some kind of allergic reaction to something in the Sentry product.

If he's acting normal he's probably okay, but I'd make a trip to the Vets office just to be on the safe side.